“Good for an overnight stay”

The Fat Cod Backpackers
Ranked #11 of 26 Speciality Lodging in Picton
Picton, New Zealand
“Good for an overnight stay”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed here before and after hiking the Queen Charlotte Track. Great that they have car parking and could leave my car here (for free) while out in the wilderness. The 8 bed female dorm had loads of space. 8 minute hot showers a good idea - saves the environment and saves waiting in line for half an hour for the person before you to finish! Beds are fully made-up and also with a bath towel which was an unexpected treat, only downside is that it is next to a commercial area so work/construction noise all night. Nice lounge area and kitchen space. Great location to shops and wharf.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Catriona G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Osaka, Japan
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

For the price I can't really complain, about the paper thin walls, or not totally clean shared bathrooms. However I can complain about the noisy staff (talking in loud German ) at 1.30am right next to our double room, and the rather itchy bed sheets and hair on our pillows. Nice location, and if I was a backpacker I'd probably be okay with it. Still it's a decent place, and as long as they sorted out the noisy staff, I'd stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Whitters80
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 May 2013

This is a lovely little hostel, right next to the ferry and bus terminal and a couple of minutes walk from the shop. it's quite small so really cosy and friendly with nice staff and very clean with a well facilitated kitchen too. Really nice, welcoming atmosphere and very nice owners. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I stayed at the hostel for a couple of nights in March. The staff were chatty & friendly and very helpful. I liked my room, it was not busy so I had my choice of top or bottom bunk! The facilities were clean. Towels were provided and the laundry facilities were inexpensive.
I also received some vouchers on arrival for 30mins free wifi each day - very useful!

The location of this hostel is great - right by the ferry point and a couple of minutes down the road from where the Naked Bus/Atomic Shuttle coaches drop off/pick up. It's close to the visitor centre and lots of shops and cafes unlike some of the other backpackers I looked into staying at in the area.

I would definately recommend this hostel - if I ever return to Picton then I would stay at Fat Cod again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Rachelle M, Owner at The Fat Cod Backpackers, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Hi,
Thank you so much for taking the time to add a review to our trip adviser page. We enjoy hearing what people have to say about our business, (good or bad) as it helps us in improve our service to you.
All the best
Rachelle
Warkworth, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We breezed in looking for somewhere to shower and change before catching the late ferry to Wellington. We were made very welcome and given towels and pointed at the showers - very hot and very welcome! We were able to use the kitchen, very clean and well equipped,to prepare some much needed food, and the lounge for resting in till ferry time. A big thank you to the owners for their welcome and their flexibility. We're not usually users of Backpackers but we'd stay here any time on a trip to Picton. It's centrally located, easy to find and within easy walking distance of town....need I say more? Yes, the owners are truly delightful! And the laundry facilities were godsend!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Hawera, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I know the past reviews are pretty crappy, but this place now has new managers and they are wonderful. It's almost a shame they've inherited the past ratings. But I guess the only way is up. I'm not a backpackers type of girl, but after staying here I'm a convert. Everything was clean and easy to use. Kitchen well stocked with crockery, cutlery etc and lounge had loads of chairs and sofa's in which to lie back on and snooze. Sure they'er right next to the train station, so you tend to hear them.....but I didn't.

The real bonus is they're neighbours to the train station and the ferry!!

Loveed it

Room Tip: **press the red button in the showers, that releases the hot water** otherwise its a cold-as shower...