“Incredible Views - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED”

Picton Beachcomber Inn
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Picton
San Francisco, California
“Incredible Views - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED”
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Summary of experience: Outstanding !

I have enjoyed over 150 international vacations and have seen much of the world. For me, it is important to have a good hotel to set the tone of my experience. If I am not well rested and don’t enjoy where I am staying, the rest is tarnished.

I have traveled through NZ over 30 times in 10 years. I have stayed at many hotels including the Beachcomber Inn and feel compelled to write a review of my most recent visit.

VIEWS and ROOM: I stayed in Room 301. It is a corner room with spectacular views – two sliding glass doors (one on each corner) with a massive wrap around balcony overlooking the water/yachts. Hands down this is the best view in Picton. The room was in great shape, modern, extremely clean, and well maintained. Only improvement I could come up with is to replace the television with a flat panel TV – otherwise, its perfect.

I noticed two reviews from a former couple/guests. . I would discount their review as suspicious and/or simply outrageous. I noticed that these "travelers" don't appear to like anywhere he stays as he has more “terrible” reviews than anything. Perhaps these travelers may need to step up to the plate and book a room at the Ritz Carlton where maybe they might give a “fair” review. All of their comments were entirely unfounded and absurd.

As to the bathroom – it is entirely convenient. When you are at a hotel, the last thing you need is one person taking up the bathroom and others waiting patiently. Here , this arrangement is typical of European hotels, where one person can be using the restroom or taking a shower, while the other is using the washbasin outside of the main bathroom (e.g. shaving, putting on make-up, doing hair etc). This also prevents the mirror from fogging up and trying to dress/use the mirror in a steam filled bathroom. In fact most million dollar homes are designed exactly like this – so there is no need to change anything.

The room, sink, bathroom, linens, carpet, windows etc – are all extremely clean. There is no merit to the comments about anything being dirty.

Frankly, I think Suite 301 is already perfect and no need to update anything other than the TV and maybe moving the hair dryer to the sink area or making the cord longer. I could not use it standing up.

LOCATION: Perfect location – closest hotel to the water. You are steps from the City Center, restaurants and the water.

STAFF: Once again all of the reviews are outstanding except these this couple that posted then negative review. To clear the air, the staff at Beachcomber has been the same for years. I first went there in early 2000 and met Suzette. Years later I returned and she remembered me and also recalled what room that I liked. There is a reason for low turnover …. It means that it is a positive environment, staff is happy, guest are happy and it is a great place to be. It is painfully obvious they are either “competitors” trying to slam the competition or they simply are unhappy people. The staff here, contrary to their unwarranted comments, are very friendly and really do care about the guest experience.

DINING: I can’t speak to the dining, because when I travel , I tend to eat out at local establishments. I noticed that the dining at Beachcomber is quite full and normally is packed during the evenings. This is not a sign of a bad restaurant.

Internet Services: I travel but work much from the road. So internet is critical. This location offered many wifi services but they were quite expensive. I understand that NZ has a small infrastructure for internet services so the prices are high, but I think there could be a better solution. I would suggest the hotel cancel any third party services and simply bring in their own service. They have unlimited plans that can be offered. Then hard wire a Ethernet connection to each room. Most people carry laptops and have wifi, but the business traveler often needs cat5 connection to a laptop for devices such as a voip phone. If nothing else, offer low prices unlimited wifi internet free or pay pay the hotel directly at a much lower price – not these third party companies that charge an arm/leg (20.00 day for 500mb service). NOTE: there were other connections I got on my wifi including free downtown wifi- but none were reliable. The only connection that was reliable was the third party hotel connection but seemed quite expensive.

PRICE/VALUE: I challenge anyone to find a better accommodation in Picton or surrounding area for a similar price. I don’t write many reviews, but felt compelled to write this one. I am happy to send photos to anyone that is still trying where to stay. I would discount the negative review as competitors or impostors or simply unhappy people.

SPA/FITNESS: I don't recall if there was a fitness center. They used to have a really neat spa (cave theme) downstairs but has since been closed. I would suggest installing an outside hot tub near the pool where they currently have a deck/table . It would have spectacular views of the water and be likely the best view/spa in Picton.

Room Tip: Room 301- corner best views of Picton! Modern very clean.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JS-SFO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Feilding
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We arrived after 2pm to be told that our room was not ready it was still being cleaned. When we eventually got to our room it was tired looking and smelt of air freshener yuck. I think the cleaners must have been in a rush because there was strands of long black hair on the toilet cistern box and floor of the bathroom we were not impressed and the view had said harbour views we faced the car park and another building block so to get a view you had to walk out on the balcony and look to the right. There was no basin in the bathroom only a sink in the bedroom. Was a little over priced won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We recently stayed there (2 rooms). The view of the harbour was lovely, the rooms were clean and spacious, and the dinner in the restaurant was pretty good. All in all a good stay and we could stay there again (we had a room on the top and bottom floors). Don't think that there was any room service from memory.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kiasusee
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This hotel is one (if not the only one) of the worst places we have ever stayed. It is absolutely NOT value for money. The only positive I could say of this place is that we had a room with a lovely view. Perhaps that was their reason for the high price for the room, but frankly we can get that view in any of the places around it. We do not mind paying for quality, but this was just plain highway robbery. The hotel was tired, in dire need of a a complete renovation and to top it off we had a kitchen sink in the room, doubling as a wash basin for the bathroom - absolutely unsanitary and just plain yukky. The personnel (especially one specific person at the front desk) were extremely unfriendly, and just plain rude. The food, when we could eat there ( breakfast was only served in the room, a continental, out-of-tins and as basic as it comes) was absolutely forgettable. For dinner the prawns were fried in oil or cooked in a pan until it tasted like rubber, the medium-rare beef was fully cooked and dry and the bread was topped with oily cheese and bacon pieces, a cholesterol dream all in all. We will give this place a pass in the future.

Room Tip: Do not stay there, there are much better places in the vicinity.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Suzette M, Owner at Picton Beachcomber Inn, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
As expected we are disappointed with the comments this guest has made in their review.We presume the previous complaint was from the same guests.
We wish for the guest to be aware that we are a Qualmark rated 3 1/2 star Hotel.
Room 301 is situated on the 3rd floor, it sits right above the Picton Marina and has uninterrupted harbour views. We can proudly say that no other Hotel in Picton gets these views from any of their rooms.
The room was refurbished in 2007.
All rooms have been kept to a high standard of cleaniness and are well appointed. The decor of our rooms, standard and superior, are shown on the tripadvisor site.We have guests who come back to stay on a regular basis who request this particular room.Price,decor,location,views, staff friendliness are the reasons why we have returning guests.
For the concern of the bandbasin outside of the bathroom.
Yes, we are aware of people finding this very unusual.When the carpentry was done for those rooms it was positioned in a way to give the room a nautical theme.
Sadly the effect was not one a lot of people could relate to.
Our Hotel will be getting some refurbishments done over this coming winter and you will be happy to know that the rooms which have a handbasin outside of the bathroom will have the bathroom enlarged to accommodate it within the bathroom.
It is not feasible to have our restaurant open daily for breakfasts, therfore we offer room service deliveries, or as an alternative, we direct guests to several cafes that are within easy walking distance of our hotel.
The guests did not feel the need to mention the complaint upon dining or even upon payment of their meal, yet is seems to have disappointed them that much that they now need to mention it to us via a review?? Should the have had a problem with how the steak had been cooked surely it should have been mentioned to the kitchen staff straight away when they started to consume the meal. Any issues would have been able to be attended to straight away.
By reading other reviews on our Hotel you will see that our Hotel is not as bad as what these guests have made us out to be.
Bargara, Australia
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We had superb views to the harbour from our spacious and well kept room. Sitting on the balcony and debating where to have dinner was very pleasant and we chatted to a few other guests on a couple of nights. The Inn is used by tour groups and set up for that we think but, as it is not very large, this is not a problem. The local restaurants are within easy walking distance as is a supermarket.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

Totally overpriced in comparison to comparable places.
The decor is getting tired as well.
The bathroom is minute to the extent that the washbasin is outside in the entrance to the room and doubles as a sink for the kitchenette.

They only serve a room service breakfast.

Dinner in the restaurant was a testimony to bad cooking and overuse of greasy food. The prawns were fried to within an inch of turning into stone, they were dark brown and tasteless.
The steaks were cheap meat also overcooked.

The reception staff were grumpy and curt.

Give this place a wide berth if you want value for your money as well as edible food.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Memboss
sydney
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We had an excellent room overlooking the harbour. The room was clean and very well presented. It was coveniently located to all that we needed to see in Picton.I did take a little while to figure out how to access the harbour from the motel but that is a small problem.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple