“Stunning views from top floor”

Picton Beachcomber Inn
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Picton
Reviewed 27 September 2013

A wonderful place to stay and use as base to explore Marlborough
views from top floor are incredible..full panorama of Harbour and marina development
Walking distance to many cafes and restaurants and extremely helpful reception staff who gave us many ideas on attractions and tours etc
Thank you for making our stay so memorable and we will be back

Room Tip: top floor on harbour side are lovely an sunny with incredible views and penthouse feel to them
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 August 2013

The Beachcomber Inn is well placed in its central location so that everything in the township is within walking distance. The room itself was modernised, clean and comfortable but the only disappointing factor was the old television set. Had that been updated the room would have been perfect. The meal at the restaurant was delicious and well presented.

Room Tip: Upstairs for views
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Suzette M, Manager at Picton Beachcomber Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
Our hotel rooms have now been fully refurbished. All rooms now have brand new flat screen televisions, we also have sky decoders in each room so you now have a choice of 50+ channels to watch.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

Stayed here on our way south (ground floor room) and again on the way back (3rd floor). Even on the ground floor we had great views. Third floor room views spectacular! The rooms are clean comfortable and quiet, easy walk to the marina, ferries and around Picton. And the dining room is superb - buffet meals with great variety to choose from, all delicious. It was fully booked out but we still had great service and didn't have to wait for anything. Out of all the hotels we stayed at during our tour, this one rates the best. Totally recommended!

Room Tip: All three floors have great views but the top floor at the harbour end would be the best.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Thank Jenny of Tarana... W
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Picton Beachcomber offers the best views and location for the start and end of our Queen Charlotte Track walk. Our group enjoyed a lovely meal in the dinning room, terrific packed lunches and comfortable rooms. This was our third stay here and we love it each time.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor offer great views over the port and beyond.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2013

What a delightful motel! My husband and I stayed here before and after walking the Queen Charlotte Sound trek in February 2013 on a 4 week trip round New Zealand. We had room 301 on the second stay with the most fantastic views over the harbour. Both rooms were very big and extremely comfortable with a well appointed kitchenette. We ate in the restaurant at night - excellent food but we were disappointed that the restaurant wasn't open for breakfast. However we could have breakfast delivered to our room and that was excellent quality too. Great laundry facilities and staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. Our first stay room included a Jacuzzi bath but the water ran too slowly to fill it so it wasn't really a bonus and the views from 301 outweighed the Jacuzzi bath in the previous room!. A real little gem and we stayed there before and after our walk and received the same high standards each time. Look no further if you are staying at Picton, you can walk from the ferry in less than 10 minutes.

Room Tip: 301 or 201 will give you the very best views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I wasn't quite sure what to expect as we had never been to Picton before but this hotel exceeded any expectations I might have had. Our room was on the 2nd floor and had amazing views of the harbour and the sounds, we were walking distance to everything and were given some great advice from the manager as to what activities were on offer locally. The room was very modern and tastefully appointed, very clean and quiet. The restaurant is also not to be missed excellent food and great local wines available as well as breathtaking views.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the harbour
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Summary of experience: Outstanding !

I have enjoyed over 150 international vacations and have seen much of the world. For me, it is important to have a good hotel to set the tone of my experience. If I am not well rested and don’t enjoy where I am staying, the rest is tarnished.

I have traveled through NZ over 30 times in 10 years. I have stayed at many hotels including the Beachcomber Inn and feel compelled to write a review of my most recent visit.

VIEWS and ROOM: I stayed in Room 301. It is a corner room with spectacular views – two sliding glass doors (one on each corner) with a massive wrap around balcony overlooking the water/yachts. Hands down this is the best view in Picton. The room was in great shape, modern, extremely clean, and well maintained. Only improvement I could come up with is to replace the television with a flat panel TV – otherwise, its perfect.

I noticed two reviews from a former couple/guests. . I would discount their review as suspicious and/or simply outrageous. I noticed that these "travelers" don't appear to like anywhere he stays as he has more “terrible” reviews than anything. Perhaps these travelers may need to step up to the plate and book a room at the Ritz Carlton where maybe they might give a “fair” review. All of their comments were entirely unfounded and absurd.

As to the bathroom – it is entirely convenient. When you are at a hotel, the last thing you need is one person taking up the bathroom and others waiting patiently. Here , this arrangement is typical of European hotels, where one person can be using the restroom or taking a shower, while the other is using the washbasin outside of the main bathroom (e.g. shaving, putting on make-up, doing hair etc). This also prevents the mirror from fogging up and trying to dress/use the mirror in a steam filled bathroom. In fact most million dollar homes are designed exactly like this – so there is no need to change anything.

The room, sink, bathroom, linens, carpet, windows etc – are all extremely clean. There is no merit to the comments about anything being dirty.

Frankly, I think Suite 301 is already perfect and no need to update anything other than the TV and maybe moving the hair dryer to the sink area or making the cord longer. I could not use it standing up.

LOCATION: Perfect location – closest hotel to the water. You are steps from the City Center, restaurants and the water.

STAFF: Once again all of the reviews are outstanding except these this couple that posted then negative review. To clear the air, the staff at Beachcomber has been the same for years. I first went there in early 2000 and met Suzette. Years later I returned and she remembered me and also recalled what room that I liked. There is a reason for low turnover …. It means that it is a positive environment, staff is happy, guest are happy and it is a great place to be. It is painfully obvious they are either “competitors” trying to slam the competition or they simply are unhappy people. The staff here, contrary to their unwarranted comments, are very friendly and really do care about the guest experience.

DINING: I can’t speak to the dining, because when I travel , I tend to eat out at local establishments. I noticed that the dining at Beachcomber is quite full and normally is packed during the evenings. This is not a sign of a bad restaurant.

Internet Services: I travel but work much from the road. So internet is critical. This location offered many wifi services but they were quite expensive. I understand that NZ has a small infrastructure for internet services so the prices are high, but I think there could be a better solution. I would suggest the hotel cancel any third party services and simply bring in their own service. They have unlimited plans that can be offered. Then hard wire a Ethernet connection to each room. Most people carry laptops and have wifi, but the business traveler often needs cat5 connection to a laptop for devices such as a voip phone. If nothing else, offer low prices unlimited wifi internet free or pay pay the hotel directly at a much lower price – not these third party companies that charge an arm/leg (20.00 day for 500mb service). NOTE: there were other connections I got on my wifi including free downtown wifi- but none were reliable. The only connection that was reliable was the third party hotel connection but seemed quite expensive.

PRICE/VALUE: I challenge anyone to find a better accommodation in Picton or surrounding area for a similar price. I don’t write many reviews, but felt compelled to write this one. I am happy to send photos to anyone that is still trying where to stay. I would discount the negative review as competitors or impostors or simply unhappy people.

SPA/FITNESS: I don't recall if there was a fitness center. They used to have a really neat spa (cave theme) downstairs but has since been closed. I would suggest installing an outside hot tub near the pool where they currently have a deck/table . It would have spectacular views of the water and be likely the best view/spa in Picton.

Room Tip: Room 301- corner best views of Picton! Modern very clean.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JS-SFO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
Bay Vista Waterfront Motel
Picton Yacht Club Hotel
The Portage Resort Hotel
Marlborough Vintners Hotel
Chateau Marlborough
Chateau Marlborough
#5 of 32 in Blenheim
Harbour View Motel Picton

Been to Picton Beachcomber Inn? Share your experiences!