The Portage Resort Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
Bay of Many Coves(Arthurs Bay)
  • Pool
  • Free Internet
View Hotel
All reviewskenepuru soundamazing settingday's walkwinding roadqueen charlottemarlborough soundsqc trackwatch tvstunning viewsroom was largespent two nightsglass of winewalkersaccommodationtimberkayakingtramp
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Receptionist possessed a poor command of idiomatic English. Room was large, clean and adequately serviced. Internet connection was expensive, very slow and very patchy throughout the resort. Food in both bar and restaurant was satisfactory. Outstanding views from all areas of the resort. The main advantage was the proximity to Queen Charlotte Track.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I was injured and hobbling after a beating of a journey across the Kenepuru Saddle Ridge. Blisters as big as oranges - I looked like I needed a skin graft, came in so late I thought for sure that I would wake up without being fed that night… but to my delight the super awesome staff at Portage kept the restaurant open for my husband and I! Superb food and delicious wine, wow! Pool was beautiful with weather to match, rooms nice and peaceful. I did not want to leave at the end of our stay.. great location, fantastic restaurant and staff that go above and beyond the call of duty. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank R2Deetoo
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We purchased 2 GrabOne vouchers in the spring to use when our friend arrived from overseas. I began reading reviews shortly after, & was dismayed to hear descriptions of an overpriced run-down lodge. We spent 2 nights there this week, and 1 evening meal with 2 courses was included.
The rooms were a good size, with a comfortable king bed, and a covered balcony with sliding doors. The view was spectacular, although the uncomfortable plastic chairs out there were not conducive to relaxing. I could see on other balconies, the furniture was being upgraded to attractive comfortable-looking sets. The interior decor is still a little lacking in style, but I think that some of the walls had been painted a less jarring colour. The headboard still has a velour covering with some 'bling' which looks a little cheap.
The evening meal was fantastic, with a tender beef filet, one of the best cuts of meat I have had in New Zealand. The desserts were tasty, and the wine, an Australian red was very nice, albeit overpriced. More Marlborough wines on offer would have been nice. The second evening we chose to eat at the cafe, and there was a good selection of reasonably priced meals. Breakfast was delicious, and the prices were less than many restaurants around the country.
The one negative note in our visit was the lack of activities. When you are there for 2 or more nights, you can go a little stir-crazy if the weather is cloudy and if it's windy. The pool is unheated, so a swim isn't always appealing in cooler weather. The sign at the dock indicating sewage in the water made the decision not to order in some kayaks. We did do some walks, but I feel that a lodge charging what it does should have more things to do to pass the time.
The GrabOne deal was great, but I think Pepper's needs to perhaps have at least one meal included in the price to make it worth going for those paying full price. The staff were personable, professional and a pleasure to deal with.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank suz952
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed one night with the family between Christmas and New Year. NIce rooms, lovely restaurant with some excellent wines. The staff could not have been more helpful (especially as our daughter had a biking accident nearby and the team went really out of their way to help us). A definite recommend.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank stephen f
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Recently stayed here in January for 4 days wonderful place, excellent staff and food and amazing scenery . Hotel rooms are clean and comfortable , could do with a upgrade , money for value and staff made us feel at home.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family