“Go elsewhere”

Picton Yacht Club Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Picton
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I would not recommend this place. Staff are fine but our room had a weird bed that did not fit between the side tables (too small, queen bed when we paid for a king), fleas and a horrible buzzing noise that will keep you up if you are not completely zonked. 2/10 from me...

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkRegisPicton, Manager at Picton Yacht Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Andrew C,

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your time with us. We are due for a refurbishment this year that will give our rooms a newer, more modern look.
We have received comments about a buzzing noise before and have found it to be coming from the ships in the harbour.

In regards to your mention of fleas, I have gone through our manager logs and have been unable to find any comments in regards to this so I must assume it was not reported. Your comment is the first of its kind and it is of course an issue we take very seriously. A full investigation will be under-taken, I would appreciate if you could contact me directly with more information by e-mailing me at gmprpi@parkregishotels.com.

With Regards

Ulhas Shetty – General Manager
Park Regis Picton

There are newer reviews for Picton Yacht Club Hotel

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This hotel, whilst a little tired, is very well located just a stones throw from the railway station & ferry wharf. The staff were friendly & helpful & the rooms clean. We had some drinks in the bar with a chatty barman & a nice casual meal.

Room Tip: water views are best
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkRegisPicton, General Manager at Picton Yacht Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear exhostieAdelaide,

Thank you for remembering to write a review about your experience with us. It looks as though you have done a fair bit of travel so to receive a positive review from you really makes my day.
As you have mentioned, some parts of the hotel have yet to undergo refurbishment but we do have plans to rectify this in the near future. I will pass on your comments to the team as they are always eager to hear encouraging feedback and will be delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

I hope you continue to enjoy your travels and we hope to see you back in the Marlborough region one day.

With best wishes

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I definitely wouldn't recommend this Hotel. Apart from the Staff and the Soap in the Shower EVERYTHING else was terrible. 5 Channels is considered cable TV (Freeview has more than that), Internet is only free for 30 mins while sitting in the Lobby. While the beds are clean and comfortable, hospitals have bigger single beds. The Hotel looks grand and in areas looks like it has been revamped - our room was a corner with NO nothing, just a tiny window. Parking is 'first come first served" and I specifically asked if the car park had security .... Nope! I got this booking on a "super deal" (apparantly) - pay a bit more elsewhere, it would be worth it.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying here and have a choice, I could only assume that a room with a "balcon...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear C B,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry your experience with us did not meet your expectations in some areas.

We provide a range of channels including Sky Movies, Sky Sport One and The Box in addition to the standard TV channels. We find this selection suits most travellers although I can understand you may be used to more at home. Our one bedroom Apartment and Penthouse provide full sky channels (except SOHO) in addition to modern facilities and a kitchen.
We understand how important internet is to any traveller, we provide both WIFI and cabled internet access throughout the hotel with limited complimentary access available in our public areas. We are currently reviewing our internet across all the New Zealand Staywell Properties and hope to offer free internet throughout all hotels in the near future.
I am sorry your room did not have a balcony, unfortunately we have 7 rooms in the hotel that do not have balconies. The Front Desk team are always happy to accommodate any request or issue with any of our rooms and would have been happy to move you to a room with a balcony.
We are fortunate with our location here in Picton in that we have the most car parking (40 spaces) available compared to any other accommodation provider. It is free of charge and not covered which is why as you have mentioned it is available on a ‘first come first served’ basis. The car park is not secured, we do encourage guests who have valuable personal items to store these in the hotel itself if there are any concerns. We can offer secure overnight (9pm – 11am) parking for motorcycles on-site should anyone wish to make use of this.
Once again I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and your kind comments about the team (and the soap!). It is always good to receive feedback so we may review our standards and it helps us better serve future guests.
Warm regards

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Really really impressed with Park Regis. My husband and I stayed before ferry booking in the morning.
Reception was friendly and informative. We got upgraded At no charge. Rooms were clean and bedding immaculate.
was so nice to sit on lovely deck with glass of wine and dinner and relax looking out over the sounds. Just beautiful.
We will definately being booking in again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkRegisPicton, General Manager at Picton Yacht Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear John and Fee,

It is such a delight to read your review, thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. Our Ocean View rooms always prove very popular, as you have mentioned they are the perfect place to end the day while soaking in the views over the harbour.

All of us here at the Park Regis Picton constantly strive to provide a product and service that ensures all our guests have a relaxing time so it is great to hear we will be seeing you again. Please do not hesitate in contacting myself at gmprpi@parkregishotels.com when the time comes for you to book your return visit.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I wouldn't say that the professional photos of the Park Regis are a lie but they are quite far from my experience, making the hotel look massive and very grand. We stayed in a very tired room with a horrible bathroom with chipped basin etc and a very tired kitchen area. The location was fine but then I think almost anything in Picton would be fine - it's not that big!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkRegisPicton, General Manager at Picton Yacht Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear 342Jenny

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Our hotel has 48 guest rooms, the Boatshed Bar, Chartroom Restaurant and the only heated outdoor pool in Picton. I am sorry if you feel this is reflected incorrectly in our photos of the hotel.

One of the great aspects of TripAdvisor and other such online forums is that it does allow for travellers to post their own pictures should they feel like they wish to share.

It is disappointing that you were dissatisfied with your room and for this I am very sorry. I would greatly appreciate if you could email me at gmprpi@parkregishotels.com with the room number you were staying in and any additional comments you may have so we can investigate this further.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed at the Park Regis in Picton recently and would not stay again. If you decide to stay, don't leave towels or clothes on the floor of the bathroom when having a shower, because they have a silly lip which doesn't contain the water, consequently you end up with wet clothes. Also I was kept awake most of the night with a humming noise. It needs some TLC to bring it up to a reasonable standard. It may be cheap, but that's not everything.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Itchy2014,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Park Regis Picton. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with regards to the shower. We always appreciate any form of feedback as it allows us to constantly evaluate the hotel and the comfort we provide to our valued guests.

I am afraid the humming noise you have mentioned comes from the ferry when it is idle at the Picton harbour. This is something which is unfortunately outside our control but we would of course take any measures we can to ensure a quality sleep is had by our guests should the issue cause disruption during the night.

As I am sure you are aware we are unable to tell from TripAdvisor which guest has a left a review, I would be grateful if you could email me details of which room you were in as so we may investigate the issue you experienced with the shower further. My email address is gmprpi@parkregishotels.com.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Read mixed reviews because there is an old half and a renovated half (use to be called the Mecure). Location was perfect for walk to shops, restaurants and the harbour. We took the ferry from Wellington to Picton and just wheeled our luggage a few blocks from the terminal to the hotel. We stayed the night before and another night 5 days later after walking the Queen Charlotte track. First night was a room in the older section which was fine and comfortable enough with a classic layout but the bathroom did need some renovating. For the second night we were upgraded to a room in the renovated section (at no extra cost + a complementary drink at the bar). The room was lovely but the renovations appear to be cheap and the design was less practical than the older rooms. When we checked in we took the discounted hot breakfast option which was OK. For the price we paid I would recommend the hotel for location and value for money. The limited complimentary Wifi was also a benefit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
ParkRegisPicton, General Manager at Picton Yacht Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear A D,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for the recommendations. It is great to read that you were looked after by our team on your return visit to the hotel and I hope you enjoyed the Queen Charlotte Track experience!
It does appear as though we could have improved upon your breakfast experience, I would greatly appreciate if you could email me at gmprpi@parkregishotels.com with any suggestions you have that will help us change the ‘OK’ to a ‘fantastic!’.

Warm Regards,