“Really Nice Except For Bathroom and Meal”

Picton Yacht Club Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Picton
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Arrived early evening after crossing Cook Strait. Ideal location as it is so close to ferry terminal, just a few minutes away. Room was very nice.....but the bathroom was old, outdated, rough, and horrible. We went downstairs to the bar, very steep stairs...quite dangerous.... for dinner. Ordered drinks, barman got them wrong. It wasn't busy, only 1 other table of 4. The meal of steak was pathetic Expensive and very poor quality. It stated 'Angus Pure Sirloin Steak served with'.....see photo. The steak was about the size of a $2.00 dollar coin, 1 baby carrot and so on. Disappointing, can see why place is not well patronize, pity because place has so much potential. Staff very friendly. Would stay there again but would not dine there

Room Tip: We were on ground floor, close parking and view of pool and harbour. Nice
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkRegisPicton, General Manager at Picton Yacht Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Rxorus,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us in April.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced while dining. We appreciate all types of feedback and in this instance we would have loved to have had the opportunity to remedy the situation at the time.

The team and I are thrilled to read that you would stay with us again, should you wish to book please contact myself directly at gmprpi@parkregishotels.com.

There are newer reviews for Picton Yacht Club Hotel

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Lovely big room, fresh white walls. The bed and bedclothes were 'to die for', great mattress and the bed linen was crisp and clean - outstanding. Fantastic view out to the water. Great parking close to our room. Bathroom is outdated, vanity is peeling, bathroom vent needed cleaning. Friendly staff. Receptionist at checkout (Dana) was lovely. Downstairs bar and restaurant was ok. Didn't like disco blue lighting and was too warm. Stairs down to restaurant were quite steep. Meals were brought downstairs from kitchen by barman. Barman did not know difference between a Bourbon and a Whiskey. Meal was ok, but overpriced. Breakfase was great in upstairs restaurant. Awesome decor in breakfast room.

Room Tip: Street end, gives view to harbour
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkRegisPicton, Manager at Picton Yacht Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Judith777,

Thank you for remembering to post a review, the weather has gotten a lot colder down here since April!
I am so pleased you enjoyed the view of the harbour from your room and thank you for your great comments about the beds and cleanliness. We always like to hear that our guests slept well.

I understand your comments about the older style bathrooms in some of our rooms and we are working towards updating these this year. I will also share your comments about your meal with our Chefs so they may consider your thoughts when designing our new winter menu.
It is concerning to read about the drink confusion as our team has had training in this area but thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will investigate this further.
Dana will be thrilled to know she has been recognised on tripadvisor, I am looking forward to sharing this review with her.

Once again I thank you for your review and hope to see you back in the South Island again soon.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Everything about this hotel was average - except the location which was excellent.
Average rooms.
Average service.
Average staff.

Nothing terrible, nothing wonderful. Take your chances I guess...

I won't again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkRegisPicton, Manager at Picton Yacht Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Matthew M,

I am very disappointed to hear that the service you received from our staff during your stay was average. Although some of our rooms are older in style, we do pride ourselves in great customer service and so I will be passing your comments onto the team. We are looking forward to having a refurbishment this year which will freshen up our older style rooms.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed one night here and we were very pleased with our 3rd. floor room, even had a balcony. Nice comfortable beds. Staff were very nice! Restaurant is a bit expensive, would advise going into town, pub or down near the harbor. Had a nice Happy Hour downstairs from the restaurant from 5-7 p.m. Very close to the railway station and ferry's, just a 10 minute walk. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
ParkRegisPicton, General Manager at Picton Yacht Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Bobby31225,

I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I see you’ve made good use of the balcony by taking some great photos. We look forward to hosting you again in the future, next time hopefully with better weather!
Thanks!

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I would not recommend this place. Staff are fine but our room had a weird bed that did not fit between the side tables (too small, queen bed when we paid for a king), fleas and a horrible buzzing noise that will keep you up if you are not completely zonked. 2/10 from me...

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Andrew C,

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your time with us. We are due for a refurbishment this year that will give our rooms a newer, more modern look.
We have received comments about a buzzing noise before and have found it to be coming from the ships in the harbour.

In regards to your mention of fleas, I have gone through our manager logs and have been unable to find any comments in regards to this so I must assume it was not reported. Your comment is the first of its kind and it is of course an issue we take very seriously. A full investigation will be under-taken, I would appreciate if you could contact me directly with more information by e-mailing me at gmprpi@parkregishotels.com.

With Regards

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This hotel, whilst a little tired, is very well located just a stones throw from the railway station & ferry wharf. The staff were friendly & helpful & the rooms clean. We had some drinks in the bar with a chatty barman & a nice casual meal.

Room Tip: water views are best
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkRegisPicton, General Manager at Picton Yacht Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear exhostieAdelaide,

Thank you for remembering to write a review about your experience with us. It looks as though you have done a fair bit of travel so to receive a positive review from you really makes my day.
As you have mentioned, some parts of the hotel have yet to undergo refurbishment but we do have plans to rectify this in the near future. I will pass on your comments to the team as they are always eager to hear encouraging feedback and will be delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

I hope you continue to enjoy your travels and we hope to see you back in the Marlborough region one day.

With best wishes

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I definitely wouldn't recommend this Hotel. Apart from the Staff and the Soap in the Shower EVERYTHING else was terrible. 5 Channels is considered cable TV (Freeview has more than that), Internet is only free for 30 mins while sitting in the Lobby. While the beds are clean and comfortable, hospitals have bigger single beds. The Hotel looks grand and in areas looks like it has been revamped - our room was a corner with NO nothing, just a tiny window. Parking is 'first come first served" and I specifically asked if the car park had security .... Nope! I got this booking on a "super deal" (apparantly) - pay a bit more elsewhere, it would be worth it.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying here and have a choice, I could only assume that a room with a "balcon...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear C B,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry your experience with us did not meet your expectations in some areas.

We provide a range of channels including Sky Movies, Sky Sport One and The Box in addition to the standard TV channels. We find this selection suits most travellers although I can understand you may be used to more at home. Our one bedroom Apartment and Penthouse provide full sky channels (except SOHO) in addition to modern facilities and a kitchen.
We understand how important internet is to any traveller, we provide both WIFI and cabled internet access throughout the hotel with limited complimentary access available in our public areas. We are currently reviewing our internet across all the New Zealand Staywell Properties and hope to offer free internet throughout all hotels in the near future.
I am sorry your room did not have a balcony, unfortunately we have 7 rooms in the hotel that do not have balconies. The Front Desk team are always happy to accommodate any request or issue with any of our rooms and would have been happy to move you to a room with a balcony.
We are fortunate with our location here in Picton in that we have the most car parking (40 spaces) available compared to any other accommodation provider. It is free of charge and not covered which is why as you have mentioned it is available on a ‘first come first served’ basis. The car park is not secured, we do encourage guests who have valuable personal items to store these in the hotel itself if there are any concerns. We can offer secure overnight (9pm – 11am) parking for motorcycles on-site should anyone wish to make use of this.
Once again I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and your kind comments about the team (and the soap!). It is always good to receive feedback so we may review our standards and it helps us better serve future guests.
Warm regards