“Good honest grub”

Cuisines: Contemporary, Bar, Cafe, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Recommended by Kent at Gateway Motel as a place to get good grub. Went in early after a day out dolphin watching and found ourselves alone with a piano player. Once ordered the other customers started to come in.

This is what I call a good honest Kiwi eatery that serves full hearty meals at a good price. Added bonus we got a discount for staying at the Gateway!

We ordered the burgers and the plate came full, well cooked and presented. Service was excellent.

Once the piano player ran out of tunes or steam a DJ started to set up for the evening. This may have stopped us using the place if we had been a little later but we enjoyed our stay whilst we were there.

Well worth a return visit when next in town.

1  Thank Wing_Watcher
Gina W, Owner at DA's Barn Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

We are thrilled that you had a good time with us. Your satisfaction makes our job worthwhile. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I felt sorry for the dear old chap behind the counter. It took him an age to take our breakfast orders. So long that other customers walked out. They were very impatient, our breakfast arrived and the six of us all got what we ordered. The food was average. But hit the spot. I think I will try somewhere else for breakfast next time I'm in Picton.

I apologise for our lack of service. Please let us know next time and we will be sure to rectify any issues that you may have.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had breakfast, the man taking our order was very slow and took ages getting it sorted, the service was very slow and the food was just average, however the cook was a pleasant young fellow.

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast with us. I wish that you had told us at the time and allowed us to remedy the problem.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Great meals value and quick service A real meal that left you full not hungry a few hours later. Stay at the Gateway and you automatically receive a 10% discount on your meal warm and cosy

Gina W, Owner at DA's Barn Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

I am so pleased you enjoyed your meal. Your experience is our pleasure. Come and see us again soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Nice little place on High Street. Decided to have a full NZ breakfast and it was OK for $16.20 with our room key discount from the Gateway Hotel. Would have been $18.00 otherwise. Only one egg, fatty bacon, musrhooms, 1 small tomato and one sausage. 1 piece of bread so thin that you could almost see through it and no jam to go with it. Think for that price they could add on another egg or sausage, Don't think it would break them. One advantage they have is, it's open at 4 a.m. Don't think I'd have a breakfast there again, just wanted to try one. A bit expensive! Think I'll wait to got back to Scotland where they know what a full breakfast is!!

I am so sorry that your meal was sub standard. I would say to all our patrons that if you feel that your meal is lacking in any way, please tell us about it at the time and we will remedy the situation gladly.