“Great long weekend on Waiheke”

and 1 more site!
Waiheke Punga Lodge
Ranked #7 of 27 Waiheke Island B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Great long weekend on Waiheke”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed in the cottage for 4 nights at the end of May and thought I made an excellent choice. I had never been to Waiheke and it was the last weekend of my working holiday, so I wanted to relax a bit before flying back home.

Dyan was extremely helpful in answering my questions when I called to book and a gracious and accommodating hostess throughout my stay. Since I wanted to cook my own food, Dyan suggested I might be happier in the cottage (which has a full kitchen) than in the studio (which has a kitchenette) if I didn't mind its quirks. I found out that the cottage gets quite cold and damp when it rains, which it did about half the time I was there. The cottage has a space heater in the living room area only. The bathroom at the far end of the cottage is most affected on rainy days. This didn't really bother me, as I am accustomed to older, uninsulated buildings, but those accustomed to hotel rooms may not like it. Extra blankets were available if I had wanted them. The cottage overall was quite spacious and comfortable for me, and the price was very reasonable. I didn't make use of the BBQ grill on my very large porch, but I did sit outside several times and enjoy the weather when it was good. My kitchen was thoughtfully stocked with 2 kinds of coffee, black tea bags, sugar, and carafes of milk and water in the fridge. If you separate your compost and recycling from garbage like I did, they will gladly accept this. :)

I didn't have a car, so the ability to get around on foot and use public transport was important. The location of the lodge was a short walk from a bus stop and a beach, and just 12 minutes to the center of Oneroa - I had no problem getting around. I took the bus to the Saturday market in Ostend, where there is also a Countdown supermarket just a short walk down the road from the market grounds. There are also several walks/hikes nearby that take anywhere from 10 minutes to several hours. Make sure to ask for your tea and cakes when you get back - they're not to be missed! If you're going to be back after dusk to the cottage, turn on the outdoor side light before you go (the swith is located on the bedroom wall near the bathroom door); the path is hard to see and the stairs a little treacherous in the dark, especially when they're wet.

The taxi service between the ferry and the lodge was very prompt. I was very appreciative of this service being included in the price of the room.

I see a previous reviewer mentioned the cats and dog. They are very sweet, and I really enjoyed being greeted (or ignored mostly in the case of the cats) when entering the lodge. Although their presence doesn't seem to be mentioned directly, there is a pet-friendly unit available and Spud (the dog) is in several of the photos on the website.

I would highly recommend Punga Lodge to anyone and hope to get back there one day myself.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Before we even arrived, Dyan was super helpful over the phone/email and made a great impression. We were made to feel welcome as soon as we arrived, with Dyan offering us tea and delicious cakes. I was traveling with my boyfriend and a friend - we had booked to share a room all together, however Dyan kindly offered our friend his own room for an extra $20 which was a nice touch.

The lodge itself is in a good location, only 5/10 mins in a taxi from the ferry port and a 15min walk into town (Oneroa) and a few minutes walk to the beach.

There is a deck which overlooks the bush and a lovely garden - our room had a balcony overlooking it and it was great to be able to sit out there and relax. Rooms are comfortable - the lodge itself is not glamorous in its look and feel, but this was what we wanted and reflects the laid back vibe of the island.

We spent a whole day out walking and came back to some amazing cakes Dyan had baked along with unlimited generosity with teas etc. We spent the evening chilling out in the living room area drinking wine we had bought from the local winery and watching a movie from the DVDs available at the lodge.

Dyan was a great host and made us feel right at home - she really made our stay a highlight of our trip to New Zealand.

Will definitely be returning!

P.S. Dyan has some cute cats and a lovely fluffy little dog, so watch out if you have allergies.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The great service provided by Dyan began before we even arrived in Waiheke. I had booked online and Dyan was so informative on logistics and dinner recommendations by email. We arrived here after our long-haul from the US. Completely exhausted, Dyan was absolutely wonderful on getting us through that first day. She greeted us warmly from the ferry, and although our room was not ready (it was early morning), she offered us coffee and muffins while we soaked up the NZ sun. She made sure we were well rested and well fed through that day and the next. Dyan's afternoon tea is NOT to be missed! In retrospect, we only wish we had stayed more than two days, in order to fully explore the island.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Just wanted to mention how wonderful the host is here. She accomadated us even though I made a muck up with the booking.
The afternoon tea is delicious and the breakfast muffins a real treat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

We just loved Waiheke island. Punga lodge is very well located - we walked everywhere! Dyan and Rob are excellent hosts. Very relaxing atmosphere. We would love to have stayed longer. Superb breakfasts and delightful afternoon tea with fresh-baked treats. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014
New Zealand
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed here for three nights with my husband in a garden room.

Room contained everything we could wish for. Great bed, great pillows!

Great location - very close to Little Oneroa beach and easy walking distance to Oneroa.

The highlight of our stay was the helfulness, friendliness and thoughtfulness of the hosts. Afternoon tea was included and consisted of generous home baking - which the hosts had held til 6pm on our arrival day.

There were also home made muffins (still warm) served at breakfast - along with the offer to wrap those if we wished to take them with us after eating our breakfast.

Punga Lodge is a lovely, comfortable, friendly place to stay. We would definitely recommend it, and would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed as a single traveller attending a wedding. After my flight from the UK I was greeted with warmth and friendliness, carried my bag, brought me delicious home made cakes in my charming and comfortable room. On a night when my dinner plans went awry and it was getting rather late to venture out in search of grub, I was provided with cheese on toast at an hour when Dyan had more pressing things on her mind than my rumbling tummy! If you want a lovely friendly stay in a paradise setting, just minutes from a delightful cove and a cluster of good restaurants this is for you. Really recommended.

• Stayed February 2014