“Second time and again very disappointing”

Red Crab Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Having had a bad experience here with a takeaway meal - we had actually tried to get into Cove but it was fully booked, we thought we would give Red Crab the benefit of another chance as we were starving. My partner ordered a house whisky to drink ($9.50) and I asked for a glass of Sav Blanc ($8.50). Entrees we ordered Crab Cakes and Chicken Satey - the chicken satey was good (as one would expect at a Thai restaurant) - the crab cakes were dry. For our main courses - I went for the special of the day - Yellow fin tuna with mussels $30 and my partner ordered the sweet and sour pork (asking if it was cooked in batter as he prefers it this way and was told yes). WRONG - the S&S pork came along nothing what we expected, luck warm, small portion and quite bland - long thin strips of pork on a bed of sauce. My tuna was even worse as it had obviously been frozen so wasn't fresh as I had expected. It was over cooked and tasteless - the portions were very small and on top of that we had to order two portions of steamed rice at $2.50 each as mains do not include rice..... when paying $30 for a main I would expect rice to be included in the price and not an extra. Over all another bad experience at The Red Crab Thai Restaurant and suffice to say will not be going back for a third time. Total waste of money at $91 and we left hungry and disappointed.

1  Thank Jan D
There are newer reviews for Red Crab Thai Restaurant

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We arrived on Waiheke early evening on a Monday and weren't sure what would be open for dinner and didn't want to cook. We found a brochure for Red Crab at our accommodation showing they also did takeaways. Had a look at the menu online and liked the look of it so duly rang an order through. We were advised pick up would be ready in 15 minutes and it was.

We had chicken skewers, pad thai and a chicken curry of some sort. All were delicious, with the pad thai being a stand out. Prices were reasonable for the quality of food, we were very happy with our choice.

2  Thank Kiwidreamer
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Food is tasty, but not as good as it sounds. The position is excellent and the restaurant was warm with good views and friendly staff.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I had lunch here on a Sunday afternoon. I was seated on the patio looking out toward the beach. I liked that they have a $10 lunch menu and you can order spring rolls individually. However, the lunch portion was very skimpy. It came with a dinner-sized serving of rice, which was far too much for the accompanying stir fry. There were exactly 3 tiny cubes of tofu among the vegetables (mostly onion) in my dish. The spring roll I ordered was good and it was cute how they served it with the plastic soup spoon full of sauce. Locals had good things to say about this restaurant, so I would guess that the regular menu items are better.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Ordered takeaways when we visited recently.
Bit of a wait but such is life sometimes. Food was above average, tasty but lacking spice (it was rated 2 out of 3 chillies – I’d ask for more spice next time), that said it was a good balance of flavours and we’d go back.

1  Thank ShaneKerr