“perfect escape”
Review of The Boatshed

The Boatshed
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Waiheke Island
Reviewed 9 December 2006

I had a wish list for my perfect escape and the boat shed met and indeed exceeded all my expectations.

I had two nights, midweek, in one of the boad sheds. The hosts, especially Jonanthan, were very welcoming and had the experience and grace to make me feel totally at ease, despite being the only guest. This meant that I could begin to relax and enjoy my stay straight away.

Fantastic coffee was available whenever I asked/needed. Breakfast was served under the canvas in the outdoor room with perfect views out to sea and freshly sourced local products. I ate my equaly amazing evening meals by the roaring fire, surrounded by candles, great music, my favourite wine and a book.

As the weather was windy and cold I spent the rest of my time sitting by the gas fire in my room, watching the DVDs that I never seem to get time to watch at home, or just resting and reading.

I was leaving as the weekend guests were arriving. I believe that they are usually fully booked over weekends and I would imagine that the experience of sharing the location with others would be different to my time alone, but the design means that you can feel very private if you want to, or be social easily too.

I live in Auckland, so it was only a taxi and ferry away from home - but it felt like another country, as the view is not back to the city lights but out to the ocean.

This is, without doubt, the best guest experience I have ever had. When you pay premium prices you hope for the best. At the Boat Shed you don't have to hope.

Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank nzdarl

Reviewed 20 October 2006

If you are in Aukland you simply must go over to Waiheke Island and stay here. The suites are beautifully designed and have stunning views over the bay. The food is the best thing about this place though. Breakfast starts with a mixture of fresh fruits, breads and cereals. You will then be offered an extensive choice of cooked breakfast, with fresh eggs and smoked salmon or bacon. The evening meal is really worth staying in for. 5 courses of the best food we have ever eaten. The service is extremely attentive but without being obtrusive. While you enjoy your coffee after supper your suite is mysteriously transformed into a romantic hideaway (open fire lit, music playing, candles, etc).
It is clear that the owner, Jonathan, takes a great deal of care and pride in the place and in the food he cooks. He and the other staff members are friendly and professional.
We really can't recommend this place enough. If you like luxury without pretense and a quiet and relaxed environment then Waiheke and The Boatshed are a must.
Enjoy...

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank hbb83
Reviewed 28 September 2006

The Boatshed sets an exceptional standard of accommodation, dining and service. This is the place if you want to relax in friendly but not obtrusive environment, dine on meals you'd be thrilled to experience in cutting edge restaurants and drink good New Zealand wine (local and otherwise).

The Island itself is only a 35 minute ferry ride from Auckland (ferries leave regularly). It is relaxed, very pretty and, as a bonus, peppered with wineries.

If you need to stay overnight in Auckland pre or post Waiheke, the Hilton is a very acceptable choice and is walking distance from where the Waiheke ferry departs.

Stayed: January 2006
3  Thank Traveller5001
Reviewed 24 April 2006

I visited Waiheke for only one day, but this place is truely magical.

The Boatshed is in a world & class of its own. The attention to detail & service is impeccible.

The views are amazing, you feel like you could sit & look at the view all day! And it seems like that is what everyone does whilst there! That & eat exceptional food, drink fabulous coffee & wine.

The rooms are spacious yet cozy, they have all of the amenities that you could want, the attention to detail is superb.

You definately have to visit the Boatshed!

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled on business
4  Thank Qtown
Reviewed 13 February 2006

We stayed at The Boatshed from Dec. 22-25, 2005 - the first 3 days of a month-long honeymoon in NZ. Jonathan certainly set the standard very high and, in fact, provided the best accommodations of our entire trip.

We arrived early (which was unfortunately not provided for by our travel agency). Jonathan warmly greeted us tired travelers and made me my first "flat white." Sipping coffee overlooking Little Oneroa beach was just divine.

The rooms are very well-appointed with cozy beds, heated tile floors in the bathroom, a CD player, a fireplace, great views, a beach bag (including towels and the required sunscreen) and robes. Jonathan is a gourmet chef and the dinner was so good the first night, we "ate in" all 3 nights of our stay. He's so good, he even got my husband to try (and like) fish - a first!

The common areas are decorated with local art as well as at least one fantastic piece by Jonathan himself. (I won't spoil it - you have to see it for yourself.) The atmosphere is very relaxed and personable. We loved chatting with Jonathan, David and the staff as well as the other guests. Jonathan's family has lived on Waiheke Island for many years and he and David are great sources of information. The turn-down service at night was so lovely - candles were lit, a CD was playing softly.

Some of the other places we stayed over the next few weeks came in a close second but no place could beat The Boatshed.

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank slimnoons
A TripAdvisor Member
Auckland
Reviewed 19 October 2005

I was unable to book a last minute holiday to Rarotonga, Fiji, Vanuato or Noosa and ended up booking a couple of nights at The Boatshed on Waiheke Island to celebrate my partner's birthday. We had a fabulous two nights of pure bliss, including probably the best meal I have ever had, served on the balcony overlooking the sea. We stayed in a boatshed room - fabulously appointed and private. The location is breathtaking - think Capri or Santorini down under. The quality of accommodation, the service, the food - sublime. The perfect balance of luxury with laid back style. If you come to New Zealand, make sure you book at least a night. The only quibble - the transfer was via the local taxi company in the form of a dented and grubby van, but only a minor quibble!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 July 2004

Staying at the Boatshed is a "must-do" on any trip to New Zealand. Overlooking the sea, this casual/elegant hotel feels more like you're staying at a friend's house, a friend who is an incredible chef, waits on you and cleans up after you! Everything you need, even things you didn't know you wanted, is provided at the Boatshed from heated lamps on your private deck to the stocked frig in your room to the latest magazines. Although there are five rooms, the hotel is laid out to make you feel as though you are the only visitor. A great place to relax, be pampered and enjoy gourmet food.

• Stayed: June 2004, travelled on business
#1 of 66 in Auckland Central
Cordis, Auckland
Cordis, Auckland
#5 of 66 in Auckland Central

Been to The Boatshed? Share your experiences!