The Boatshed
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Santa Fe(Waiheke Island)
  • Beachfront
Waiheke Island Resort(Waiheke Island)
View Hotel
Te Whau Lodge(Waiheke Island)
  • Restaurant
Aarangi Motel(Kohimarama)
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
All reviewsattention to detailhis teamnew zealandboutique hotelvegetable gardenlighthouse roomtwo nightsprivate housekitchen gardenjet lagbreakfasts were greatour honeymoonboat shedlocal wineoverlooking the oceanauckland airportcooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I very rarely take the time to lay praise on a place – so this is an exception! My wife and I have just spent the weekend on Waiheke and have been blown away from the moment we arrived, besides the fact that the weather was amazing, and that Waiheke is one of our favorite places in New Zealand, what we found in The Boatshed is something quite outstanding.
We had heard many great things over the years about this place and a number of our friends had been and raved, for one reason or another we had never quite got around to getting there; and I must admit that after extensive world travels and being fortunate enough to have stayed in some spectacular places we often avoid these sorts of properties in New Zealand after being let down on several occasions by poor quality and delivery. The Boatshed most definitely does not fit into this category.
The website does not do it justice – the property itself is spectacular and the owners have impeccable taste, the attention to detail, the fit-out , the carefully selected art and object, the beautiful collection of books casually strewn everywhere, it’s like stepping into a Ralph Lauren catalog. This eye also extends to the grounds and gardens, just charming.
It is impeccably kept and belies its years of operation, everything from the bed linen, to the bathrooms, to the public spaces – not a thing out of place. Jonathan the owner effortlessly hosts with just the right level of casualness and Rupert the little dog adds a wonderful playfulness to the place.
The food is modern, unfussy and totally appropriate for its setting, the poached tamerlo, rubarb and vanilla compote for breakfasts was a highlight as was my wife’s citrus cured salmon and herb salad with baked potted eggs and walnut loaf. Don’t bother eating dinner out, we ate in the first night and then went to a local winery on the Saturday – mistake! The atmosphere in the evenings had the same attention paid to it as everything else, the music, lighting, candles, fire everything just so, then we return to our room where someone has thoughtfully been and set the fire, put on sleepy music, lit the candles, turned the bed, sprayed the room with a wonderful scent to send us off to sleep – bliss.
I will gush no more – this is an experience that everyone should have and the fact that it is right here in New Zealand, on our door step, amazing. Well done Jonathan.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeterJ057
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We had a fantastic stay at the boathouse. The hotel was very relaxing and perfect to visit for a couple of days after a long flight. Service was excellent, giving us just what we wanted without intruding. Food was top quality with elegant dinners and huge breakfasts. An excellent selection of local wine with good recommendations from the host/owner who ensured our visit ran very smoothly.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Boat shed owner and staff were wonderful. Atmosphere is very relaxing and comfortable. More boutique style accomodations and service with one on one attention. Dinner was worth price at NZ$110 per person. Comes with candle lites, romantic atmosphere and gourmet food courses. A great surprise for us.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2010

After a 27 hour flight, checking into any hotel is a blessing relief. Three days later and it was hard to tear ourselves away. We were fortunate to have found availability in the lighthouse suite and if heaven exists I doubt it could be more perfect than this. The view is something we never tired off; to sit up here with the glass walls fully open on two sides feeling with warm air drift in was magical. The bottle of chilled sauvignon blanc from the fridge hit the right note too.

The floor below contained our bedroom - crisp white sheets, an old desk with a charming pot of fresh flowers, and plenty of well thought out storage. The bathroom was a floor below again, all connected by a spiral staircase. It's the little touches that make this palce stand out. Who needs a nightlight for the bathroom when a lit candle can be left in a sea shell? As you stare out to sea, why not flick through a magazine from the table: and what a collection of books, games and things to do.

Breakfast - fresh bread you would expect. Five different varieties of fresh bread however is a pleasant surprise. One day we dined in our day room - there is a dumbwaiter to send the breakfast trays up. Dinner - frankly it easily rivals Mudbrick, the best outside dining experience ont he island.

You'll see Rupert the doggie and his toy, lazing in the sun on the verandah, and this sums up the face of life and how chilled this place is. To wander down to the beach, stroll bare-foot in the sea, collect scallop shels on the shore. Do you know, of all the finest hotels I have ever stayed at, this has probably been the most magical, the most perfect, of them all.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VC10Boy
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I came for a relaxing break and from the moment I walked in and saw the sea view I knew I'd come to the right place. The Boatshed was so comfortable with plumped sofas, piles of magazines and fresh flowers everywhere I felt at home. The food was wonderful: fresh, tasty and perefectly presented without being fussy. And for someone who lives in the city: being able to fall alseep hearing the surf break on the beach below was just heaven. I just wish I had booked to stay longer. Jonathan the host and his team (including Rupert the dog) couldn't have done more to make my stay any better.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo