“Something different”

Palm Beach Bungalows
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The 5 star Hilton it is not !
Having said that, it is a clean, tidy bungalow, with all the amenities you would expect in a motel unit. Including a spa bath.
We stayed in the Luxury bungalow, and it suited our purpose nicely. A quiet place where you are left to do you own thing, although the bed was a bit hard for my liking.
We enjoyed a Bali Garden evening, although the only thing 'Bali' was the garden ornament. Toasting marshmellows and a soak in a bath for two was most enjoyable.
We noted that this place is under new ownership, and there are signs that improvements have and are still being made.
The 'Romantic hideaway' is what you, the visitor make of it. If you havent got a romantic bone in your body, then this is not the place for you.
We spent 3 nights there, and explored the rest of Waiheke during our stay, returning to Palm beach every day for a swim and a lie in the sun. The weather was perfect. I think we will be back

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 April 2013

This is my first review of a holiday but I felt I had to say something about our experiences at the Palm Beach 'Luxury' Bungalow. And there lies the problem- the description 'luxury' implies a sumptuous experience with added attention to detail. Imagine my surprise then when we arrived at the 'bungalow' which is a glorified prefab hut, with tatty sticky old dark green carpet, a plethora of dust and spiders webs, with moldy black tile grout in the shower and chipped crockery. There are plastic plants that look as though they haven't been dusted in months and thin cheap towels. The bed is comfortable enough, and if a mosquito net and nice duvet cover are considered 'luxury' then perhaps we did manage to find it there- although I have definitely experienced better. 'Shabby' is the descriptor I would have used.

I am blown away by the amount of favourable, even ecstatic, reviews this place has received...How can this be? I just don't understand...the bungalow needs a complete overhaul to bring it into this century. Don't get me wrong, as an avid traveller I actively seek out quirky bohemian places to stay- perhaps that would be a better description of the place, 'quirky and bohemian'- although even with that description, for the $320 per night we paid, I would still be very disappointed...I expected a lot more.

I wish I'd paid closer attention to the negative reviews, they really do sum the place up. I wish I'd looked closer at the palm beach bungalow's amateur website that gave clues as to the average state of the place. I wish I'd stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ExYorkshireLass
palmbeachmanagement, Owner at Palm Beach Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2016

Hi ExYorkshireLass
So sad to read this review, even though it was 3 years ago. We have since bought this accommodation and done the renovation promised by the previous owners. But we agree with you that "luxury" is a misnomer. This particular bungalow is now known as the Old Boatshed - I'm sure you'll agree that's a more appropriate name. It has been cleaned, painted and recarpeted, and has new french doors which open onto a deck looking out into the trees. No sign of any dusty plastic flowers. Crockery is New Zealand classic Dorothy Thorpe designs for Crown Lynn. It's still quirky and bohemian, and 3 years later we'd charge you less than you paid, if you felt like giving the place another try. If you do, please email me at palmbeachbungalows77@gmail.com and we'll see if we can offer you a happier experience this time around.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Im not much into reviews but this is the one place, that has a special place in my eyes. This was probably one of the most romatic, relaxed and tranquiel places I have ever been in. My girlfriend and I spent two nights here and we were lucky enough to be spending one part of our night in the Bali Garden Experience, which I think personally is a must to get the complete experience. Out in the open with a warm bath, some soft lighting and a few wines went down a treat. If I could go back to this place again, I will and who knows I might just do it!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael R
Reviewed 4 February 2013

My husband and I has spent our 9th wedding annivarsary at Tree Tops Bungalow. We chose Treetops as it was the cheapest of the bungalows. Looking at other accommodation around Waiheke we felt that even luxury bungalow was still more affordable than most of the other available rentals elsewhere.
The booking went smoothly and was handled very professionally by Brenda, sending us lots of information including detailed options for traveling from the ferry. I thought this would be very handy for out of town visitors.
We arrived after dinner in the dark and the taxi (Island taxis) which cost us around $12 from the main town dropped us right at the entrance. The fairy lights made it misterious and romantic, we found our way easily along the narrow little paths. (It was a clear summer's night, no rain, good light so I cant comment on how it would be if it was raining.) It adds to a bit of mischief if you are "sneaking away" with hubby for the weekend to a little bungalow hidden in the forest. Treetops look out over some trees from a small dining room table for two, so great for a relaxing brekkie. The kitchen was well equipped with some pots, pans, dishes and cutlery for two, dishcloths, dishwash soap etc. Two plate hob which worked perfectly well for making bacon and eggs. Toaster, jug, coffee plunger, all the usual. It is very small but what more do you need? There was a very clean and tidy bathroom consisting of toilet, basin and very small shower with a forest feel see through kind of roof. There was little soaps and shower caps and all the same you can expect in a hotel room. In the room is a small bar fridge also consisting of drinks etc. which if you use you pay afterwards. The room is painted dark green mostly, I guess it suits the forest feel. We found the bedding clean and tidy and the bed comfy with lots of pillows. I think it could become cold in winter, there was a heater. Everything was tidy. The plastic flowers arent my favorite so maybe something else... I dont know... ornaments or just romantic pictures? There is a CD player, I-pod dock and television with SKY. A DVD- player would have been nice. We loved the special attention to make us feel welcome and the friendlyness of the host. We did not see any people all weekend, except the couple having a quick smoke break at the luxury bungalow before dissapearing back inside. Note that you cant see any of the bungalows from your bungalow, even though they are not that far apart. The beach is easy walking distance, lovely beach with a nude area if that is your thing. There is a small super-market and fish and tjips shop. The main town is 4 km away or an easy busride - just check the schedule and catch it at the right time. Oneroa has lots of little shops and restaurants and a supermarket.
We enjoyed our weekend. If you are after something else than the usual hotel room or busy holiday park then these bungalows would be great. Lots of mosquitos but there was repellent handy too.

We also booked the Bali garden as an extra and the fire was ready when Brenda took us there. We loved the outdoor bath and watching movies and just relax although this would be a great little place to sit and talk or just be in love and eat toasted marshmellows.

Room Tip: Treetops had everything you need.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ldubafr
Reviewed 31 January 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying in the Mud Brick Bungalow for our 12th Wedding Anniversary November 2012. We had a wonderful stay. The bungalow was very quaint and quirky. I loved it. The setting is wonderful, a great bush backdrop and very handy to townships and beaches, restaurants etc. The hosts were considerate and discreet. The bungalow was clean and well presented and romantic, which was perfect for us. Definitely stay there again and have, and would continue to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Book early especially if you want to book the Bali Garden.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarieCallow
Reviewed 30 January 2013

My partner and I stayed at the palm beach bungalows on our summer break early this year. We were amazed at how beautiful the place was.We booked the luxury bungalow and found it very very peaceful and extremely romantic.The Bali Bath night was amazing as we relaxed together with wine under the stars.The trees that surrounded our bungalow were delightful,the owner (Brenda) was very friendly and helpful towards us.The whole experience we thought was wonderful and would definitely recommend it to anyone who wanted to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ruahine s
Reviewed 28 January 2013

First of all I want to say Petrina and Sarah I can’t believe that those are your thoughts…. As Des states, staying in the woods is bound to mean that there would be a few spiders along the way! I think unfortunately you guys just seemed to have picked the wrong place for your expectations. Myself and my partner visited from Auckland city to spend a romantic night away in the mudbrick bungalow for my birthday in December….As two seriously technology addicted young city go-ers, the Mudbrick was exactly what we needed. We turned off our phones and appreciated the sanctity of being tucked away in the woods in such a beautiful place. After we put down our things we took a lovely walk down to Palm Beach (less than 5 minutes away) and spent the evening eating fish & chips on the beach, followed by a few wines back at the bungalow. To say it was anything but a perfect weekend would be doing Brenda an injustice. Hey, if big hotel chains making millions and not really caring if you enjoy yourself or not are your thing, then go right ahead and stay somewhere else….But if you want something romantic and extra special then seriously Palm Beach Bungalows are the right place for you. The beds were clean and very, very comfortable, and we arrived to find our names on a lovely welcome sign outside of our bungalow. When we left we found a comments book & two Ferrero Roches, obviously hand delivered by Brenda early that morning which I thought was a lovely touch. From start to finish we were looked after and I think had there been any negative feedback I would be very surprised if Brenda didn’t want to put it right. You can tell that the business is very dear to her heart and we wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple