“Memorable stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Hostal Casa Colonial el Patio
Ranked #3 of 351 Trinidad B&B and Inns
Brussels
“Memorable stay!”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We had booked this “casa particular” based on the photos and excellent reviews, so had high expectations. The moment we arrived in Trinidad, we knew we had made the right choice. Manuel, the owner, met us off the bus from Havana and walked with us the 200 metres to his casa. As we stepped through the front door, we realised we had arrived somewhere very special. The main living room, with its period furniture, takes you immediately back to the colonial era and the inner patio is a real delight. Among plants of every variety are several sitting areas – so well laid out and restful. Our bedroom was huge, beautifully decorated and very clean and comfortable. Manuel and his wife Lisbet were marvellous hosts and and so helpful. They delighted us with a delicious lobster dinner and a huge breakfast. We highly recommend this marvellous casa.

3 Thank Cazona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I was fortunate enough to stay with Manuel and Elizabeth on two occasions during a month traveling around Cuba (my third time in the country) during Dec.2013-Jan.2014.

Without question the nicest Casa Paticular I've experience anywhere in Cuba. The building, garden, and bedrooms are immaculate and modern with all the conveniences, the meals are really fantastic (Elizabeth made us vegetarian meals that were so tasty and with lots of items), and Manuel and Elizabeth are incredibly nice people that go out of their way to help you with whatever you need, and they speak English which really helps as well. One could not ask for a nicer place or nicer people. The location is also fantastic, being only a couple blocks from the main square and close to the Viazul station. Really, truly, the best Casa experience I've had anywhere in Cuba.

Thank you Manuel and Elizabeth for your kindness and hospitality!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RyanEddy123
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We recently returned from a three-week stay in Cuba during which we stayed in 5 different casas particulares, all of which were good. But Casa Colonial "El Patio" is head and shoulders above all the rest. The extraordinary garden and beautifully decorated rooms are fantastic. But it's the care and kindness of Manuel and Elizabeth that really sets this place apart. Wonderful hosts who cared for us so well.

We had a slight emergency when my husband was pickpocketed. Manuel accompanied him twice to the police station for long sessions. I hesitate to mention this b/c the last review also mentions how the family helped travellers out in an emergency and I would hate to think of Manuel and Elizabeth having to deal with any more of these types of situations. But they were so extraordinarily kind.

Also the food is terrific. They have a great staff. I forget the name of the lovely young woman who served us breakfast every morning, but do remember that Michael is the very good cook who helps Elizabeth prepare outstanding dinners.

In any other economy a place like this could charge 3 or 4 times as much and be worth every cent.
One last thing: Manuel mentioned that often he has to turn customers away because the place is fully booked but that recently some of these bookings failed to turn up, leaving these extraordinary rooms empty. This is a terrible shame and a waste. If you book here and change your plans, be responsible! Please contact them and tell them. Others will be happy to get your room.

6 Thank nancy800154943
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Just read what others have said about this Casa. It's all true, it's a great choice. Manuel speak perfect english and is very accommodating.

Three days into our trip I had a dental emergency and the family helped me get it dealt with the very next day. I was in and out of the hospital and dentist in 1.5 hours total if you can believe that, and was completely restored. They look after tourists and it cost about $50 total. No more worries for the rest of the trip.

The family makes you feel comfortable they are the best hosts you could hope for. Staying in a hotel does not compare and we stayed in the best hotels all across Cuba.

The food for breakfast and dinner were of epic portions and were so affordable. You really do not need to eat at a restaurant. The recipes are delicious and home cooked. The back patio at night is illuminated and the tress are amazing and it's the most beautiful setting much nicer than the restaurants.

The rooms are great much better than most. The location is perfect. Don't miss going up the tower for the most awesome view you have ever seen and it's right next door.

Trinidad is a safe place to go. Cuba for the most part is a safe environment. The people are very friendly and not pushy.

Book your bus tickets in advance online at Viazul (like greyhound) it's just down the street from the Casa you can walk. No need to spend a fortune on taxi's or rent a car. Get there 1 hour before it leaves or they will sell your tickets to standby customers. Cobble stone streets bring sensible shoes and pack light you can hand wash your clothes. Bring a pocket spanish phrase book ;)

Go to the mountain and see the waterfall and walk the path about 3k it's stunning (book a taxi for a few hours). Stop and get coffee beans on the roadside. The coffee in this region is the best and we are coffee lovers and drink it black. Espresso everywhere this is the go to place for coffee. There is a beach 10 minutes away by car that is nice. Mostly all inclusive, umbrellas are on the beach and a couple of guys will serve you food and drink. Ladies bring travel toilette paper they charge outside of restrooms.

We are going back and staying here. The value is incredible and the town is epic! This is the right place to go just book it you won't be sorry.

3 Thank RockDarkness
Vancouver
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed in this casa for 1 night in December 2013.

The location was perfect - in the historical part of town and only 3 blocks from plaza mayor.

My room was clean and felt brand new as the casa was renovated only 3 years ago. Mine had a television, fridge, fan, air conditioning, comfortable bed, and a private bathroom.

Breakfast and dinner were both very good. For breakfast I had tortilla with pastries, fresh fruit, bread, coffee, and fresh juice. For dinner I had too much food: pumpkin cream soup, pork fried with white wine and onions, yucca with butter, rice, bread, salad of cabbage, tomato, and cucumber, bread, and ice cream for dessert. Nice presentation too. I ate both meals at a table in the lush patio.

Manuel and family were great. Manuel spoke perfect English, and spent some time answering my questions about where to go and what to see in Trinidad.

I would highly recommend this casa. You can contact Manuel on his mobile: +53 53592371, and you can visit their website here: http://www.elpatio.trinidadhostales.com/

To get to the casa I hired a private taxi. My driver, also named Manuel, picked me up in Cayo Santa Maria, dropped me in Trinidad, and picked me up the following day for the return trip to Cayo Santa Maria. I would also highly recommend this taxi service. Manuel and his private taxi work out of Santa Clara and can be contacted on his mobile at: +53 52474911. Manuel's English is limited but he is good with dates, times and locations. You can also send him a text message.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank SteveCDN
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is definitely a top casa!
This beautiful old colonial house in the centre of Trinidad has a great lush garden!
All the rooms (Manuel has opened a third room in December) are connected to this garden.
Everything was great: the house, the garden, the rooms, the service, the food and the family was very helpful and lovely!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Anka T
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I visited during my birthday in October and I received such a warm welcome. They are truly lovely people and the accommodation is amazing. The patio outside literally takes your breath away, it almost doesn't look real it's so beautiful! The bedrooms have their own individual designs and character, it's really elegant. I would really recommend this place not only for the interior, but for the people too. It's rare I can say that about anywhere. So thank you for making my birthday so nice!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lylaroad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
Iberostar Grand Hotel Trinidad
#21 of 351 in Trinidad
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
#4 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Hostal Casa Colonial el Patio? Share your experiences!