“Oh Dear.....”

Brisas Trinidad del Mar
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Trinidad
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights as we wanted to visit Trinidad and could not get into the Iberostar... I wish we hadn't.

First the ups...

Our first impression was it looked nice as we pulled up.

The pools were reasonably clean, though not helped by guests who just left thier empty cups etc around or IN the pool.

The food was reasonable, we only ate in the buffet restaurant as we were not entitled to eat in the 'a la carte' as we were only there for two days; the staff were pleasant there and one of the ladies provided me with a free cigar on each visit, and for my wife she provided a little necklace, very sweet; naturally we tipped her... in fact tips are vital if you wish to get good service.

The main bar was good and so was the snack bar, the staff being freindly in both,

Now, the real downsides...

After checking in, with possibly the worlds most unhelpful receptionist, we went off to find our room, (we were not given any directions) dragging our cases with us. Our room was on the second floor at the end of a block nearest to the beach; fortunately it was furthest away from the stage area, so at least it was quiet. There are no lifts so if you are unable to lift your own cases, be aware of this. The room was tidy although worn and tired and although there was a TV, it barely worked; fortunately we were not there to watch TV. As has been pointed out, if you get a top floor room, possibly at the end of a block, you will have little or no water at busy times of the day, we certainly had none at around 6 or 7pm.

If you want peace and relaxation forget it. This is one of those hotels that thinks the guests constantly need to be fed with loud music and need to jump around all day long! From around 9:30 AM; the entertainers are rehearsing or encouraging the guests to dance or excercise etc; the sound levels are only slightly less than a 747 taking off, this is an old 747! This carries on for most of the day with a short break at lunchtime.

I have stayed in worse hotels, but not many.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor room as far away from the restuarant and stage area as possible.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank marjohn56

Reviewed 30 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel as part of a group tour with Friendly Planet. It served as our base hotel while visiting Trinidad. It's an all inclusive resort, but I stayed there only two days, so I can't say I really took advantage of that. I did manage to doze off at the beach (which is quite lovely) with a drink in my hand during one afternoon.

I think I read that this hotel was built in 2002, but it's already quite worn down. The construction is not meticulous. I entered my room and closed the door and saw light shining through the quarter inch gap between the door and frame.

My room was fine--I don't have any real complaints. Many in my group had water problems, either very low water pressure or no water at all, so I considered myself lucky. I had full water for the shower, and maybe the water pressure was a little low in the sink. The toilet worked fine but it had a constant dribble, which is a huge waste of water (and a common problem I've encountered with hotels everywhere). The bidet did not work which made me kind of sad!

The breakfast I had at the buffet wasn't bad. We had dinner at the restaurant Vigilia(sp?) and the food was good. I would stay here again, just to give a full try out of the resort experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank stmmmd
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here May 16-17, 2012.

The grounds are pleasant, and our room, while run-down, was fine. We had read that lack of water was a potential problem, but we had plenty of hot and cold. Unfortunately, the rooms of others on our people-to-people tour did lack water, and it was never resolved. Management must be aware of the problem, so why it hasn't been fixed is a puzzle. Also, the in-room safes do work, but unless you are a locksmith (I'm not) an employee will need to come and set them up. After that, they're fine.

The hotel is a short taxi ride away from Trinidad, and as you travel you'll ask yourself why do the crabs cross the road. Our driver, Yoandi Gende Perdigón, was great, as was his sweet '55 car. He suggested that we visit the Casa de la Trova, at Fernando H. Echerri 29, and we are glad we did. He even got the $1 CUC cover charge waived. My wife, friends, and I danced and danced all night. Great mojitos.

For those of you interested in Cuban history, I suggest a visit to the Museo de la Lucha Contra Bandidos, in the Convento de San Francisco, 41/99-4121.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has water!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AMB&JAS
Reviewed 25 May 2012

This is without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I can hardly believe after the reviews that have been posted on this site about the major toilet problem that the hotel does not do something about it. We were staying for two nights and spent the whole time there using an empty litre container that we had to fill four times to get the toilet to flush effectively! The water dribbled out of the shower, we had no cold water but I suppose we should have been grateful that the hot water tap worked.The fridge motor worked but did not chill the fridge and even though we asked the staff to come and fix it, nothing happened except the arrival of a free litre bottle of water. The curtains were hanging off the rail, the place was grubby, and needed painted. The food was absolutely awful and I hardly ate anything the whole time I was there, coffee in the dining room looked like dishwater and tasted like it. When dark fell the mosquitos came out in their thousands. Someone needs to send the hotel inspectors in before there is a major health scare.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Scotskye
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We travelled as a family (2 x 12 yr olds, 1 x16 and 1 x17 yr old, mom, dad and grandma) from 5 May - 12 May. Unfortunately we read a lot of the reviews prior to going, so our hopes were not all that high. That all changed our first day. Yes, this is a small resort 200+ rooms and the number of travellers at the resort was also quite low. This actually was different for us as we've travelled quite extensively to the DR over the past few years. Last year we travelled to Veradero (Sirenis Las Salinas 4 star) and absolutely loved it as well.

The resort was small enough that we allowed the kids to roam freely. Staying in the 3000 block we were close to the buffet, pool and beach. One has to remember that this is still a struggling country economically, so a lot of the amenities that you might be used to may not be up to Canadian standards.

The room - slept a maximum of 3 people. (we had 3) Our room had three beds, a tv with some American channels to keep you up to speed, fresh towels daily and great service. Yes, the water was quite slow to warm at peak times...adjust your shower times, so that you're not taking showers at 7 in the morning along with everyone else on the resort. The toilets flushed quite freely except for in one of the rooms, it plugged twice. We called the front desk and let them know and it was fixed. Only one of our rooms had a small fridge, but we found we really didn't use the fridge all that much. There was a snack bar open 24 hours less than a 2 minute walk away if you needed something. A small token of appreciation for your room maid will go along way!

A word to the wise for those travellers needing electrical hook ups. This is a 220 volt resort. Either get yourselves a step down converter or buy online the appliances you'll be needing for 220 volts. The girls all missed their flat irons. Next time, we'll look at getting one online to take with us.

We ended up meeting a family from Havana, Cuba who were also visiting the resort. Through our limited knowledge of spanish and their limited knowledge of english, we were able to have a decent conversation. Thier kids were roughly the same age as ours and comunicated through playing pool, volleyball and ping pong. Kids are kids everywhere you go.

Food - again not quite what we considered to be Canadian Standard, but I can tell you that no one starved. In the beginning of the week, the food wasn't labelled so it was difficult at times to make out some of the dishes. By mid week, the food was labeled and it made for some interesting choices. My step son had pig's feet one nite....why? I have no idea. But he at least tried it.

Breakfast - buffet style with the option of having fried eggs or omelets at the omelet station prepared for you. There was always a vast choice of fruits and breads available as well. A few of the days there was bacon, but this tends to go quite quickly. The kids liked the freshly made crepes each morning. Unfortunately, maple syrup was at a premium. Next time we'd take a small bottle of our own to use each morning. We did take a bottle of ketchup, but found theirs to be quite good too.

Lunch - again...buffet style. The kids found that there was a taco station and pretty much stuck to that. There was also a pasta station every day. If the buffet was not your style then the 24 hour snack bar had hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, ham and cheese sandwiches. No one complained.

Supper - yes this is buffet style once again, and for those who like trying new things...be daring. There was always a fresh roast of something being carved, be it pork, beef or lamb. The pasta station was also available and a wide selection of salads.

We also ate at the a la carte upstairs one night and found the food to be quite good. The choices ranged from beef to pasta to fish. It was a 3 course meal and should be done at least once for the experience.

Beach - absolutely beautiful. Only one downfall is that it is a public access beach. The locals will approach you asking for just about anything. Without being rude...try say no thankyou, or no gracias. After the second day they left us alone. Most days we migrated up to the pool in the afternoon to be close to the kids who kept themselves busy playing pool, ping pong, water volleyball. The activity staff on site is always on hand and will start up a round of water volleyball when nothing else seems to be going on. Say hi to Douglas and the other Animation Staff when you travel. They are all easy to talk to and have an ability to communicate in most languages.

Bars - again there are only a few bars and two happen to be next to each other. One is located in the snack bar and again a few pesos will go along ways. It wasn't very busy and the service was quite good. Yes there are only small plastic glasses, but we as Canadians make do. Invest in a travel mug or a Bubba Mug.

Entertainment - yes, it was repetitive but always enjoyable. The kids were even up on stage a couple times. Thanks again to Douglas for making the trip a good experience for the kids.

We travelled with Cubana Airlines and unfortunately they don't allow for humanitarian baggage, but they do allow 30 kgs for each person. We were able to fit all of our things and some small trinkets to give out.

Trinidad - a beautiful historic city. We travelled in one day through our tour guide at 15 pesos each. A couple days later we travelled in via taxi at a cost of 16 pesos return and spent a few hours travelling through the city on our own.The city is 10 minutes away from the resort, so not too sure what people are saying when they say it is a fair distance away. There is a small bar up near what is called Plaza Mejor where the local Cuban music is played daily. A drink is $1.50..go in and sit. You'll be surprised. Next to the bar is what is considered a large outdoor market. Much the same trinkets are sold in each of the places. You'll find everything from cigars to carvings, to hand stitched table cloths. Don't be afraid to barter. Here are some of our examples.

Che - Cuban licence plate 4 pesos. Cuban baseball bat - 3 pesos. Small bracelets (leather and clay) 1 peso. 5 neclaces made from a variety of shells and seeds - 5 for 1 peso. Cohiba cigars 12 pesos for a box of 3. Montecristo cigars 12 pesos for a box of 5. Nothing is all that expensive and you can practice your language skills at the same time. Quantos cuesta - how much does it cost? Know your numbers in spanish as well.

Yes there are bugs (no seeums and mosquitos) Take some deep woods off and spray the ankles. We were told that they come out right around sundown and they do! Between 730-830..stay inside if you can. We tried to arrange eating supper at this time and it seemed to work. By the time we were finished...the bugs were gone.

The airport that Halifax flew in to was in Santa Clara. Be prepared for the three hour bus ride. Buy a beer at the airport and enjoy the scenery.

Anyways...we booked through Sell Off vacations out of Halifax a few weeks before the trip. The cost was $650 per person, all taxes in. It wasn't expensive by any means. We like value for our money so are always looking ad cpomparing online. This was definitely a trip well worth the value. We were looking for a sun/beach vacation and got exactly what we wanted.

Room Tip: All rooms are centrally located. Nothing is too far from any place. If you're looking for the r...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank Mike L
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in April. I would say to eat dinner at the restaurant upstairs from the buffet. Much better and not a buffet. The food downstairs isn't good at all and the staff were indifferent. The beach is nice, but the mosquito's at night are not. Room was ok. My tub didnt drain well, but water was hot and toilet worked. I was on the first floor by the ocean and did have a little crab visit every morning in my bathroom. It is a nice break if you want to lay on the beach and to get away from people, but yes it is a about 10min from town.
I saw the Iberostar in town, and it looked very nice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank christy2064
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The Brisas del Mar is an all inclusive hotel a fair distance away from the World Heritage listed city of Trinidad. Its really a beach resort and as such it does a reasonable job. But we were allocated this hotel as part of a tour with Trinidad as the main game. Unfortunately Trinidad has a very limited stock of good hotels (the Iberostar is the best) and many visitors are sent to the Ancon Peninsula where the Brisas and two other hotels are located. Rooms varied in quality: good sized but with some poorly looked after furnishings and bathroom fittings. The food was mediocre. The most annoying feature, however, was the plagues of mosquitos that invaded the public spaces after dusk fell. All in all a bit of a disappointment. Trinidad, a real architectural gem, desperately needs more hotels located within the city limits. If you can't get into the Iberostar I recommend trying one of the dozens of casas particulares (private homes0 around the city.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
Iberostar Grand Hotel Trinidad
#6 of 6 in Cienfuegos
Hotel La Ronda
Hotel La Ronda
#2 of 11 in Trinidad

Been to Brisas Trinidad del Mar? Share your experiences!