“Great, excellent & feels like Home!”

Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Holguin
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

My husband & I enjoyed our stay at the resort, the staff, the service, the ambience & the food are all excellent. It's worth upgrading to Royal Service, feels like you are a real Royal. We celebrated our unforgettable 17th Wedding Anniversary, we will highly recommend this place to every couple who wants to have a vacation that feels like Home, where love, peace & relaxing ambience is the key to perfection!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank myla_wheat
paradisusri0de0r0, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear myla_wheat,
We were honored to have you in the Royal Service of Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa for such a special celebration as your 17th Wedding Anniversary! and to know that we helped make your stay so amazing! We hope to have you back to live such moments again, and will love to receive news as you make your plans. Thank you very much!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Myself and my partner spent two weeks here in October 2013.

So many positives to mention. The staff from the moment you arrive make this place very special and cannot do enough for you - we gave them tips but they weren't expecting them like some resorts we've been to.

We didn't do the royal service but found the main part of the resort most relaxing - if you want royal service, pay for it. However, the main part is very good.

Within the main buffet restaurant there was always lots of choice, and for my partner, she loved the pasta station.

We tried the al a carte restaurants and would definitely recommend the French restaurant, even though they had no French red wine?!?

This is definitely a resort we would like to revisit, hopefully next year :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Siddler73

Dear Siddler73,
It was a real pleasure to read your review and to know you fully enjoyed your holidays with us! We will love to have you back, maybe to try Royal Service next time, which is so amazing! Please, do not hesitate to send us news about your plans.
Greetings from all our staff and I!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have been twice to this resort, both times with the upgrade to royal service, the main part of resort is lovely, but Royal service is impeccable, with the butler service to the spar and beach facilities, the resort is amazing.
The staff are fantastic

Room Tip: Bed a little hard. Food is exceptional all 5 Al la carte nothing bland at all at this resort. Upgra...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simpsont2014
paradisusri0de0r0, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Simpsont2014,
We are very happy to read you had such a pleasant stay in our Royal Service! And that you enjoy every service that we provided, thank you so much for sharing your review in TripAdvisor.
We hope to have you back soon for the 3rd and many more times!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My boyfriend and I went to PRDO of May, we didn't have a very pleasant flight (Thomas Cook) so the second we landed in Holguin we were super excited. We're greeted by lovely staff as soon as we got to the resort. As we arrived late afternoon we had a wonder around to explore the sights which were beautiful! Then went to dinner, unfortunately being a vegetarian this was my only issue with the whole holiday, the food wasn't labeled as well as I would have liked, some of the signs for food were in the wrong places which made me question whether other foods were vegetarian, and if I asked a member of staff a few of them were unsure what I meant, but I manages to find something to eat every night anyway, if you're not a vegetarian then there's a feast awaiting you, my boyfriend piled his food up at every opportunity! We also are at the Japenese restaurant, which was lovely so pretty and the staff were very friendly! Our room was clean, spacious and cool (we got a nice shaded room.) We spent the majority of our time at the pool, there were always sunbeds free, plenty of spots in the sun and shade, depending on what you prefer that day, obviously the best part of the pool was the bar! Where George was amazing, he really did look after us that week, re filling us up soon as we were empty, coming over to greet us and have a chat every morning, so big thanks to him! There was also great entertainment every night, whether you're into dancing or your music there's something going on every night to watch from the lobby bar. A big thank you to all the staff, we had the best week ever!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank alicewinds

Dear alicewinds,
We truly appreciate your review and your comments, which are very welcome and always useful. We are in the process of changing the food labels of the buffet restaurant as they are not the most appropriate anymore, and we will have the new ones in the following days to be placed accordingly. Thank you very much!
Receive greetings from all our staff, especially from George, our Entertainment team, and all in general, who will love to have you back in our slice of paradise!!
With sincere regards,

Great all round resort.
My 2nd floor junior suite was large and very clean. Buffet and snack bar were good, restaurants excellent, pool area and grounds, including the nearby lagoon, are just beautiful. The staff are for the most part very kind. The entertainment at this resort is the best I have seen in Cuba. There is also a disco but it is not close to any rooms and so won't disrupt anyone who retires early. I went on this trip solo but met up with many other people and so, it's great for couples and those going on their own.
The main beach has a rocky entrance to the water, but a path has been cleared for easier access. I'd still recommend water shoes if you mind the occasional rock under your feet. You may also access the water by 3 other (less rocky) beaches from the spa or Royal Service. Esmeralda beach itself is certainly long enough for walks and is shared by a few resorts. There are hobbi cats and peddleboats available. For those wanting to snorkel, there are 2 great little reefs to explore, one closer to the main beach and one almost directly facing the spa. The water was surprisingly cold for the beginning of June and was a bit choppy at times. You will see an amazingly amount of sea life and corals for the most part recovering from a couple of hurricanes that have passed in the last few years.
For those certified, the scuba diving is free but you have to bus over to another hotel. If not certified, you can learn in the pool, and do 30 min shore dives.
For the most part, the mosquitos are present at night and those who are particularly attractive to mosquitos should bring bug spray. Remember that the entertainment stage, main buffet, bar, and Cuban restaurant are outside and so the mosquitos can be pesky if there is no breeze. Wear long pants and closed shoes to protect against sand fleas for early morning or late night walks.
The hotel gives walking tours of their horticultural garden and native birds on Thursdays on the expansive grounds. (I highly recommend the bird guide Carlos, who can be found near the hotel bank. If you're interested to see the endemic birds of Cuba, he can definitely help. ) There are many other free activities as well, including yoga, tai chi, archery, dance lessons, etc. There is a spa and a well equipped gym but I did not use either.
I did not do any excursions but they are the standard ones at most Cuban resorts: dolphin encounter, catamaran snorkel tour, Jeep tour, and Holguin City Tour. There are bus pickups at the entrance of the hotel for Guardalavaca and Holguin City if you wish to explore on your own.

A bit of practical information: The Holguin airport is small and there can be a lengthy wait to get through security once passed immigration. Our well organized TMR tour operator, Sebastien, met us past the security check and accompanied us during the comfy one hour ride to the hotel.
Once at the hotel, you will be able to change money from the checkin desk (with a small fee) or at the bank around the corner (opened from 10-6) but you will need to bring a passport. You will also need a passport for any credit card purchase you make either at the boutique or cigar shop.
From a practical side, the hotel is spread out and you will do lots of walking to get to the beach to the lobby and more if your room is not between these 2 locations. They do have carts to pick you up and drop you off (with or without luggage), so ask for these services if you need them.
There is WIFI at this resort ($5CUC/hr) so this was a pleasant surprise to find cheap internet. WIFI is finally making its way around the world, even in Cuba.

If you find a great deal for this resort, don't hesitate to take it. In the high season, the prices can be quite expensive compared to the other resorts next door but the prices definitely come down in the off season. I think this resort was a great value for what I paid. It's definitely another part of Cuba worth exploring.

Room Tip: Rooms go from simple suites to high end villas depending on your budget.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Res Q

Dear Res Q,
Thank you so much for sharing your review with other travelers in TripAdvisor, it will certainly help them decide stay with us too! We really hope to have you back and will love to receive news as you start your plans!
All our staff and I look forward to seeing you soon again!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I visited this resort a few years back and no where have even come close to be as perfect as this resort

I have stayed in other hotels in and around cube ( I'm totally in love with the Cuban people and the island) and this hotel outweighs all of the other hotels by a long shot

I'm booking my return visit to this hotel for the 2nd week of September 2014 with my partner ( a surprise and late birthday present ) I know he will LOVE the hotel and we will have an amazing time and meet some wonderful people.

The food is amazing
The beach is breath taking
Snorkelling is the best ( take some bread or banana from breakfast and take it with you snorkelling the fish go made for it and you will see some amazing species) that was a hint from the breakfast staff.

I can't wait to come back. Wishing it was the 16th sept right now

Book now ,,,, I promise you will not be disappointed

Jody cordon

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J C

Dear Jody Cordon,
Thank you so much for your review and for letting us know that we will have you among us for the 3rd time just next September 16! I am sure that also your partner will definitely fall in love with the place and its people!
Receive warmest regards on behalf of all our staff, who is already looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Great holiday - thanks to all the Staff but in particular the girls at the restaurant by the pool and also to the General Manager with whom I shared some memories of S'Agaro in Spain and the Food and Beverages Manager who again we shared memories of Palma Nova with. The hotel itself is very clean and the no one need worry about the food - plenty of it and always something for everyone from the freshly cooked omelettes at breakfast to the scrummy pasta and fresh cooked fish. The only one thing I would improve would be the entertainment in the evening - it could be a little more varied. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: good central location block 37 - not too far from anything
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank linda t

Dear linda t,
Thank you so much for your review. I have to say that it was a real pleasure to meet you and to share about memories of S’Agaro, I remembered you as soon as I read your words! Also Carlos was very glad to talk with you, as well as our staff to have you among us and help make your stay so amazing!
We truly hope to see you many more times here in our slice of paradise! Please, do not hesitate to contact us to let us know.
Lorenzo Rubio

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
#1 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!