“Royal Service Is The Only Way To Truly Experience PRD'O”

Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Ontario
“Royal Service Is The Only Way To Truly Experience PRD'O”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My wife and I along with my parents stayed at this resort from May 3 - 10, 2014. This resort offers a completely different experience from other 5 star resorts due to the preservation of the landscape in natural habitat. Although we had originally booked the Junior Suite Deluxe Oceanview which was a total mistake that we spent our first night, we were not to be disappointed for long. The next day we asked to see the upgraded royal service section and instantly we're mesmerized by what our eyes saw. It truly is another world. Every villa, the grounds and everything in sight was immaculately pristine and luxurious. At the concierge desk of the royal service you are literally blown away by the view of the ocean directly in front of you not to mention all the catering and personal service that greets you. We ended up taking the Master Suite Royal Service rooms and all that I can say is - wow! This room has a deep walk in closet with built in cabinetry on either side. Everything is basically his and hers which is absolutely fantastic for couples as you never have to argue over space. The bathroom is humongous with vanities at either end but what is spectacular is the outside shower which is totally private, huge and an oasis unto itself. You have butler service, a private beach for the royal service section only and you can order food and have your butler bring the food to you while at the beach. There is a restaurant for the RS section which offers fabulous food cooked however you would like just ask and the views again are incredible. Honestly every time we went to the main section of the resort we quickly found our way back into the RS section. It is just a place that you do not wish to leave. For our family we would definitely return but again only in the royal service section. It may be quiet but is wonderfully relaxing and luxurious and you could never be disappointed if you came here. The staff throughout is fantastic as you will always be greeted and in return they respond, it's my pleasure. Honestly it was my pleasure to come to unique 5 star we'll deserved resort that we all insist will come again. Please do not forget to try the spa and enjoy this private area with salt water pool. Ask for Tamara in the main section she is the one who books the appointments and is a delight that will keep you laughing. If you cannot afford the royal service the regular rooms facing the mountains or the category with a backyard facing the mountains is your best bet. The food at the Asian and Italian were delicious. You cannot go wrong here when booking for your next vacation.

Room Tip: Spend your money and upgrade to the Royal Service because you will NOT have any regrets for doing th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank EbonyMan
paradisusri0de0r0, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear EbonyMan,

Thank you for giving us the pleasure to have you with us to enjoy such wonderful holidays! We hope you repeat the experience many more times, and will love to receive your news as you make plans to come back! Thank you!

Jean-Marc Rousseau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was my second time at the resort, and it did not disappoint! I immediately felt comfortable in my surroundings in large part due to the staff, some of whom recognized me from the year before. Special mention to Marasol, Larazo, Neysi and Alien for good cheer and friendliness. The food was fine, and I recommend booking the restaurant reservations as soon as you can so you won't be disappointed as seating goes fast. I really liked my room in the 38 block which was midway between the beach and the Lobby Bar. I would prefer to stay there again. The room was clean and neat with a good selection of pillows. I was a little disappointed to learn that Jose and Alex at the hobicats have moved to another resort; however, the guys were great there. I liked hearing the Cuban music this time, both outside near the pig roast and during the day at the beach.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank TorontoGuy2
Dear TorontoGuy2,

It is a great pleasure to read about your fabulous vacations in Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa! and hope you come back soon to repeat the experience. We will be waiting for you!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is our 2nd trip back to PRDO and whilst we were booked in the SRLM as PRDO not avail to book at time from uk but having spent 12hrs there we realised it in no way can compare and requested to upgrade,

So our transfer of hotel was smooth with the reps and hotel staff arranging everything. Arrived to find our bubbly waiting and cold towel. We were welcomed back by the reception staff and shown to our room (4111) 2 away from main stage. No issues with noise of evening entertainment as it had usually finished by time we finished chatting (ok drinking)!!!

Once again we were not disappointed with the level of service from the fabulous staff. Several remembering us and welcoming us back. We were lucky to be cared for by the following fabulous people:
Alien, Manuel, Williams, Osmany and ljuidila at the main bar, nothing too much trouble, although not noticing when they keep topping up your glass plays havoc with the function of the legs when you leave :)

Odalys and Yudith, odalys arranged our wedding 5 years ago and welcomed us back like old friends, Yudith who looked after us in restaurant and reservations, you could not ask to meet a nicer couple of ladies.

Pavel our chef for Japanese restaurant great guy and fab chef. Our only complaint on food side and it is very minor was the carbonara sauce in the Mediterranean resembling scrambled eggs, however on speaking to Carlos the FB manager he will address this. One other minor niggle was dress code, we dress appropriately for al a carte and also Buffett and the dress code is there for a reason you are not in Blackpool, please note vests are not appropriate in a restaurant in the uk so why feel you can when in Cuba.

Room lady kept everything sparkling and clean.

Restaurants
Japanese show table always the favourite
El patio - lobster and steak beautiful
Mediterranean - great
Cuban - not great when we visited but then other guests said it was great luck of the chef I guess,
Royal service restaurant- beautiful lobster, buffalo and chicken lasagne, also made us an anniversary cake which was a surprise and a lovely one.
beach front for lunch fabulous, and the view is stunning
Pool restaurant - equally as good
And if that's not enough choice you always have room service!!!! And the Buffett,

We spent a day at the spa and couples massage definitely worth it, as the hotel was so quiet we had the spa to ourselves all day which kind of felt like we were on our own tiny island :)

Gym well equipped and enough space for my yoga matt so I was happy.

One other tiny issues and this is not hotels fault is the selfish buggers who feel it is their right to reserve beds and not come back till midday, really get a grip it's not the dark ages where the beds r rationed! Wifi a little hit n miss in areas but we were on hols so was only looking at the sport.

Overall we have no complaints on hotel side, and have already decided that after going to lots of places over last 5 years this is our home from home and have booked for next year already. So see u all for a rum slush and glass of bubbly next year.

Thank you too all the staff who made us feel as special this time as our first time.

Room Tip: Corner rooms in the blocks as more light from side windows and side balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KnCliverpool
Dear KnCliverpool,
We are more than glad to know you enjoyed so much your 2nd time with us! Thank you for your trust in booking Paradisus Rio de Oro again, we hope to see you many more times, and since now we are already waiting for you!

Chester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was our second visit in two years (the last being 2012). The hotel is set in immaculately kept gardens and is in fact a sort of minature nature reserve, it is about an hour from Holguin Airprt and about 2 miles from Guadavalaca, the nearest town.where there is a lovely beach and a good market.

ROOMS: the rooms are mainly in two storey blocks situated within the hotel grounds,ours was a junior suite located on the first floor.The room was clean and kept clean on a daily basis by the maid (Taimi).The furniture was basic but more than adequate with wardrobe and chest of drawers. A television set,coffee machine and radio cassette player were provided, the fridge was stocked on a daily basis with water,beer and soft drinks.
The bathroom had a bath/shower, toilet and bidet.
All rooms have air conditioning
RESTAURANTS one large bufffett restaurant serving breakfast, lunch (most days) and dinner,four A La Carte restaurants which require booking. In addition there is a pool snack bar which I recommend for a good lunch and a beach bar where barbecues happen about twice a week.Overall the quality of food was good and the selection was good but a little disappointing during the last week, probably because the hotel was underoccupied,but I am not complaining
BARS: the main bar is located within the main building and is open 24 hours, a very good selection of local and international drinks available. A pool and beach bar are also available but the range of drinks is limited but perfectly adequate.
POOL One large split level pool, however if you are going in the next six weeks you will find this closed for renovation but you will be able to use the pool in the next hotel .Plenty of sun beds and parasols. I believe that when the pool and pool ares reopen they will be spectacular
BEACH: long sandy beach but the section near to the hotel is rocky but ideal for snorkeling, limited number of sun beds and parasols.Plenty of watersports available at no extra cost.
ENTERTAINMENT Daytime low key but sufficient.Evening entertainment consists of a selection of local musicians early evening and then showtime at 2130 which overall was good.
STAFF What can I say except they are probably the most friendly I have come across during my travels and the majority recognised me as a returning customer. Everyone from the gardener to the manager were there to ensure your stay was perfect and that you would want to return

SUMMARY I can highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to experience Cuba, you will not be disappointed and I for one will be going back as will many other people who have had yet another fantastic holiday. Thank you to all staff at the Paradisus

Keith (England)

Room Tip: Stayed at rooms on different sides of the hotel grounds and found no complaints with noise or differ...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank keith H
Dear keith H,

We appreciate very much having had you with us and being able to read about your experience in our resort.
All our staff and I will be waiting to welcome you many more times!! And we will love to receive your news as you make your next holidays plans. Thank you very much for recommending us!

Ingersoll, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I honestly can't think of one disappointing moment at this resort. We had the ocean view junior suit, it was beautiful! I especially loved the outdoor shower. Our mornings all started with fresh coffee out on the patio overlooking the ocean. I could have spent my day there and been happy. The food was amazing in all areas of the resort. The Japanese restaurant was my favourite. Little things like the chef coming over to our table to make sure we were enjoying our food does mean a lot. Staff was so polite, and some of them were hilarious. We did a special dinner at the gazebo on our last night...we had music and our own server. It was beyond romantic. I would recommend it to anyone! I could go on and on about everything I loved about this resort. I would go back in a heart beat, and as a matter of fact, will be going back to try Royal services in December. This time, I will be with a group of about 10 friends to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday! I'm sure they will love this resort as much as we did. I can see why people keep going back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Julie G
paradisusri0de0r0, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Julie G,
We feel more than glad to read about your memorable stay in Paradisus Rio de Oro recently. Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers in TripAdvisor. We will all be looking forward to seeing you in December in our amazing Royal Service!
Bregenz, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

After our great experience end of 2013 we had booked right away for June 2014 again. We can highly recommend this hotel. Great entertainment team with remarkable program!!! Good food and we even noticed further improvements since December which have been initiated by Carlos the very caring new restaurant Manager. Very friendly attendance from all service team! We enjoyed a very deluxe suite in one of the 2 apartment bungalows. New flat TV! Not that we would have used it since there is so much better to do in such a holiday! :-) I just had to make the remark since this seems to be so important for some guests. My advice: Stay at home if you come to Cuba for watching TV! We enjoyed the diving which comes together with the package, swimming, the very nice service in the Spa with the most beautiful location on the beach and very much all dancing opportunities! If you come with an open heart you will find in the Cubans the most open, warm and friendly people you can find! So go for it and enjoy!!!
Joanna and Christian

Room Tip: It is worth to go for the Deluxe apartment upgrade!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christian W
paradisusri0de0r0, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Joanna and Christian,
It is a great pleasure to know we could help make your 2nd stay with us so memorable and that you enjoyed all the treasures found in this amazing piece of paradise. We will all be very glad to see you again, and thank you for being part of our big family!
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon in August 2013. We had an absolutely fantastic holiday and I would recommend this to anyone.

Buffet food was generally pretty good, excellent for Cuban standards. The restaurants that you can go to once a week are excellent, with the exception of the cuban restaurant which was poor. The Japanese is brilliant and I would recommend getting a show table, just fantastic. The french restaurant is also excellent. The snack bars by the pool and beach are also very good for lunches, especially down on the beach for their BBQ's.

The pool is beautiful, very relaxing and always beds available anytime during the day. Grounds are great, bit of a walk from the main hotel to the pool but lovely to stroll in.

The Internet service is basically useless in the hotel. Incredible slow computers and internet, once you have logged on and got to google your 15min card has expired, don't bother using it!

You will have an incredible stay here, highly recommended and we would love to go back one day.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Chris W,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with other travelers in TripAdvisor and for your opinion. We are glad to let you know that internet is much better at the moment, probably the day you mention was a specific day, as it is much better now. Anyways, your comment is always a great tool for us in our everyday work for your satisfaction and we appreciate it.
We truly hope to have you back soon!

Lorenzo Rubio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,495 reviews

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!