“Amazing honeymoon - amazing resort”

and 1 more site!
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Ottawa, Canada
“Amazing honeymoon - amazing resort”
Reviewed 10 January 2011

We stayed at the Paradisus from December 15th - 30th and we had the BEST time there. It is a little peice of paradise. The resort itself was magnificent. The staff was amazing, friendly and overall wonderful. We felt safe the whole time we were there. The food was absolutely amazing....if you want good food, and are a picky eater...this is the place to be! We have never been treated so well! If we ever decide to go back to Cuba, this resort would be our number one choice. My hubby was actually able to relax and enjoy himself...he's a little stress ball at times! The beach was incredible...so beautiful There was a private beach for those that go to the spa for the day. We did a couple of couples massages and it was nice to be spoiled for the day! We had great weather the whole time, except for a couple of days of windy cloudy weather....but it was still perfect. We loved all the a la carte's but our favorite was the buffet...it has more selection and really good food to eat. There was entertainment every night and the most fun was the beach party they had...music, dancing, drinks and a bon fire. We had a honeymooners breakfast in our room, and they also did a honeymooners dinner at the restaurant on the beach. Was sweet, and romantic. Staff was always there to help when needed and their English was excellent. So no communication barriers. We got to meet with the general manager a couple of days before departure and he was very nice, friendly and helpful. We were able to give our insight on the resort personally to him. Being there for 2 weeks, and I was still not ready to leave, I could have spent another 2 weeks if I could. You could go snorkeling right off the beach. All in all, this is the place to go for a romatic getaway or a honeymoon. This place is amazing and I miss it already!

5 Thank moondrew
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 January 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel, the staff, the food, the entertainment and in general, over the whole stay at Paradisus Río de Oro.

It was a great pleasure to have had the opportunity to speak to you and to share some of your personal impression about our resort.

I am glad to read that if you ever decide to come to Cuba, Paradisus Río de Oro would be the hotel of your election. I seriously hope that we will have the honor to host you and your family again in the near future.

We wish you all the very best for you and your family.

Eduardo Perera Castro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,217)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed at PRDO between Christmas and New Year. This was our third time this year at the Royal Service.
It was still WOW!
A HUGE thanks to all the staff from the gardiner to the director, they make our third stay at this hotel very special. We miss you already!

We just have one negative point, it is for the repeat dinner. For the second time the weather was not on our side, in September it was raining and in December it was so COLD. And the most important point is that the food was not that good. We suggest that it should be held in the Los Helechos restaurant in the Royal Service section. It would be nice also if the Director showed up at this dinner, just to meet the clients. We plan to go back to the hotel, but for sure next time we will not go to the repeat dinner.

We will be back soon in Paradise as we are planning our next trip. See you soon!

2 Thank Gaetane_Jean-Guy
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our resort and for your gratitude. In fact is us who should thank you for coming to our resort year after year.

I am sorry I could not attend the repitent guest dinner. I promise you that I always try to go the cocktail previous to the dinner to meet with our loyal guest. That´s a priority for me but sometimes and always because of work reason I cannot be present. It is also true that we had this winter a few days where at night it was a little bit cold and maybe it was a little bit unpleasant to have the dinner at the beach. I will take note of your recommendation and for next winter if the dinner coincide with a windy or cold day we might look for another location.

CHESHIRE
Reviewed 9 January 2011

This was our 6th maybe 7th trip to this resort so yes we love it!!!!

We’ve travelled to a few places in the Caribbean (Sandals Antigua, Rendezvous St. Lucia, Excellence Dominican, Grand Lido Braco Jamaica) plus New Zealand & Canada but I still have to say this is the best holiday ever for relaxation or- if you want to participate in activities (gym, scuba diving, horse riding, shooting … the list is endless) for us who didn’t thanks to all the entertainment team who laughed with us everyday at our laziness!!!!

Staff : BEST EVER I don’t even want to go there naming individual folks the whole staff is totally amazing and every holiday maker you meet will give you more names to add to the ‘BEST’ category – we have never seen that anywhere else!!!

Food: I can understand why folks say there is no choice at the Buffet - listen to your body’s guys – you are stuffed!!! I can honestly ask where would you find so much selection at Breakfast alone???? And if you find the Buffet boring ….. go book a restaurant it’s so easy !!!!

Restaurants: We all have our favourites, and they are all different – we just love the Japanese for the food & entertainment, but the Mediterranean – wow the setting is amazing, El Patio – phew another great and the Cuban-superb – second trip, honeymooners or anniversary folks the special dinner at the beach is the most wonderful experience- just love the whole dining experience!!

Rooms: How long to you want to be in a room??? Ours was wonderful, large balcony. Flat screen TV, and the maid – well she went 35 miles to please us (hub’s a messy holiday guy)– and we didn’t tip until last night!!! The towel art from day one was beautiful – and turn down service – well are we royalty????

So I have to be negative to be true.. That beautiful, unbelievable pool is …………cold in December!!

Hmm do I say go and book – you bet!!!

Thank you to all for making our vacation very special again – see you next year without a doubt

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CheshireEventer
Dear Guest,

We don´t have enough words to thank you on behalf of all the staff for your nice comments.

The fact that you have been in our hotel so many times and still thinking about coming back means really a lot to us. As to many of our loyal customer we only have words of gratitude for allowing us to be part of your holidays and your memories. That´s the beauty of our job and you help us to believe in it.

We wish you and your family all the very best and we cannot wait until we have the possibility to have you staying again at your home away from home.

madeira
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Spent 2 wonderful weeks at the Paradisus Rio De Oro in early December and had a brilliant holiday. We had previously stayed at Sandals in Varadero a few years ago and again had a great holiday - although this hotel is definitely a cut above.

We were in the Royal Service area of the hotel in a beautiful room (8911) with a fantastic sea view and had the additional benefits you get with Royal Service. We were really looked after by the staff in Royal Service - too many of them to mention.

The hotel is managed extremely well and you see the management around the hotel constantly and very involved with the day to day running of the hotel. The staff are some of the friendliest and most professional I have ever encountered - they really do work so hard to make sure everything is perfect for you.

The food in the hotel is excellent - the Royal Service restaurant is included for guests staying in Royal Service and at a small supplement for those who are not - definitely recommend eating here even if you are not in Royal Service. As other reviews have said you can eat lobster everyday if you want to - there aren't many AI hotels you can do that in. We really enjoyed all of the restaurants - favourites were Royal Service Restaurant, El Patio (International) and El Bohio (Cuban) - we also really liked the Japanese & Mediterranean Restaurant. There is so much choice it is difficult to fit the buffet in - which had a massive selection to choose from. Most nights we upgraded to the wine's on the wine list which were reasonably priced - however the house wine is decent enough, most of which is from Spain - so you don't need to unless you want to.

The Spa is definitely worth a visit - wide range of treatments and prices are comparable to other resorts of the same standard. I had the reflexology and a facial - both of which were excellent and well worth the money. You then get to stay at the spa to use the facilities and the beach area / pool.

The beach is beautiful and the pool areas in both the main and Royal Service parts of the hotels are lovely with plenty of sunbeds.

We were delayed at the hotel due to adverse weather in the UK and - this for us was a bit of a bonus - we had an extra day or so in this amazing hotel!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and can really understand why people return to the hotel time and time again. We enjoyed the hotel and holiday so much, we are looking at going back to the hotel next year.

6 Thank Bristol1965
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our resort. As I always say the fact that you are thinking about coming back is for us definitely the best compliment you can do to us. As many of our loyal customer I would like to thank you for becoming part of our family.

Regarding the Royal Service, I am glad to read that you did enjoy that new service. I strongly believe that it price is worth every penny.

I am also glad to read that you like our food. I can assure you that Paolo, our Italian Executive Chef, Julio Roque, our pastry chef, and all his team put a lot of effort in making every restaurant a special experience.

I hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family personally on your next stay, and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if I can be of any help.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I had last stayed at the Paradisus Rio de Oro in 2005. My husband was not able to accompany me and my two adult daughters on a Christmas vacation and so we decided to book a vacation to a resort we were already familiar with. What a good decision! From the minute we arrived, the hotel staff did everything possible to make sure our stay was perfect. It was particularly pleasing to see that so many of the staff we knew from the past were still there. Everyone at this hotel is genuinely friendly and warm and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The hotel is still beautiful, with a great beach and pool area that are kept immaculate. They have built a first rate spa and gym with it's own stunning pool and beach area. Also new were room upgrades to a newly built royal service room section that offered modern rooms with jacuzzi baths, walk in closets, flat screen tvs and full time butler service! Wow!! There are no shortage of activities to do if you want them. The food is delicious too whether you go to any of the a la carte restaurants or enjoy the huge variety offered at the Buffet (where Mercedes makes an unbeatable Caesar salad) or enjoy fresh made pizza and pasta at the pool. Unlike other all inclusive resorts the nightly entertainment was first rate during the Xmas week, featuring the Holguin symphony orchestra, a jazz band, an acrobatic troupe and much more. We were sad when our trip came to an end. I plan to return to the Paradisus Rio de Oro as soon as I possibly can.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Justgirl3
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments and for sharing them with us on Tripadvisor.com.

It is always nice to see that we were able to provide good service to the whole family. I hope that it will be soon a third time here at Paradisus Río de Oro and I am sure that you will, as it happen this time, welcome by our staff as part of our family.

Eastleigh
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Can't fault anything about this hotel, and agree with all the other splendid reviews. All staff were wonderful, helpful, attentive and totally committed. Additionally, we must commend the activities team who did a fantastic job at keeping our 21 year old son and 24 year old daughter entertained, not to mention us. The days when Heidi was in were always a little brighter if somewhat noisier, bringing a smile to our faces! Yoga was great looking out to sea, and the massage at the end of the session totally relaxing. Many thanks to all the team we had a great time. My husband celebrated his 60th whilst on vacation and Wendy organised decorations/chocs/etc for our dinner table and a home baked birthday cake in our room. Many thanks again it was greatly appreciated.
And to top it all Julio made a really good Pina Colada even in the rain!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank Itsmeof
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments and for posting them on trip advisor.

I am glad to read that you fully enjoy your stay at our resort and that there was a little bit of activities for everyone.

I wish your husband a happy 60th anniversary and hope to see you soon at Paradisus Río de Oro.

Caledon, ON
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We were fortunate to stay at the PDRO again between Christmas and New Year and being our second time there, treated ourselves to the Royal Service section. WOW! The staff are absolutely the best! The food was superb, the rooms awesome! A very special thank you and hello to Norma, Maria, Junior, Jorge and Roberto. Everyone who saw us before remembered us and we were there 2 years ago! If you go to Cuba, this is the place to stay, no question. Go to the Paradisus and if you can, to the Royal Service section - you will NOT be disappointed. Thank you to everyone at the PDRO, we miss you and will be back!

8 Thank psoup98
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 January 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel and specially about our Royal Service. As you know the Royal Service opened two years ago and lot of effort and care has been putted on this side of the hotel as we do with the rest of the areas.

I am glad to read so many names on your review and the fact that you are planning to come back is the best compliment you can do to us.

I take this opportunity to wish you and your family a Happy New year 2011!!!!!! and hope to see you soon back at Paradisus Río de Oro.

Eduardo Perera Castro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
#5 of 64 in Varadero
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
#3 of 4 in Rafael Freyre

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!