“Unique scenery”

US$498.99*
Grand Canyon Flight and Valley of Fire Landing by Helicopter
Ranked #2,623 of 9,011 things to do in California
More attraction details
Owner description: Though arid and harsh, the Mojave Desert is home to over 200 endemic plant species and only one kind of tree, the Joshua Tree.
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We drove through this area as a detour and I have to say there is some great photo ops. The Joshua trees make you feel like you are in a western and the rocky landscape and yellow dirt are a great contrast to the bright blue sky.

3  Thank IOGWFH
There are newer reviews for Mojave Desert

Reviewed 31 December 2013

There is a lot to see and do here if you like the outdoors and exploring more than sight seeing. I rented a 4wd out of Vegas and did some exploring on the off highway roads. Its dry now, and most of the roads have firm sand. Never had to air down....so I'm returning the tire inflator and shovel to Walmart before I leave for home.
There are quite a few abandoned mines, and the photography from up high is stunning. Recommend you hike Teutonia Peak and Kelso dunes...great shots at sunset. Consult the ranger at Kelso junction for locations where you can car camp.

Good resources are National Geographic's map or the free map at the rangers station at Kelso.

4  Thank ws120
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This is one of those places that finds an attractiveness to a small percentage of people. If you have an appreciation for say, the surface of Mars, then you will like this desert. I'm sure there is interesting wildlife and plants that might warrant a look by those few people, but we are from a state with some form of water every five steps you take. Not exactly our style. We expected hot, but holy cow, not that hot. It reached 105 degrees and we almost wilted! Truly an experience to remember, but mostly to remember not to do that again!

2  Thank Dave E
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is the first time I have been to a desert. Being from the Midwest, this was a new and very different landscape for me. Lots of sand, brush, open spaces, and Joshua trees. I had never seen a Joshua tree before (my only knowledge of a Joshua tree was the U2 album of the same name), and at first I didn't even know what it was. I experienced the Mojave mostly in the "High Desert" area, which is not too far from San Bernardino's forest parks. It was beautiful in a brutalist kind of way, with blue skies and mountains in the background. During my two weeks here, I grew to appreciate the solitary sight of the random Joshua tree in the middle of nowhere.

I visited at the mid through end of September. Temperatures had actually fallen to the mid- to upper-80's during the day (the weeks immediately preceding my trip were more in the 100's range). I was SHOCKED that the early mornings were actually cold! Apparently a 40 to 50 degree difference in temperature between the high and low is normal.

Very educational for a Midwesterner. Probably best to visit in fall when the temperature is more bearable.

4  Thank Sarah Z
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

I never seen a desert. Mojave Desert was beautiful. It was very hot. I recommend drinking plenty of water and wear sunglasses.

2  Thank erlee_2006