“No fish for us”

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“No fish for us”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Just got back from a 3-day fishing trip to New Melones Lake. We thought we had prepared ourselves for what to expect by reading comments on forums for several weeks beforehand. Evidently, people who do not catch anything refuse to post comments, maybe for fear of looking as if they are inept. I have been fishing my entire life, both freshwater and saltwater, and am normally very successful, so I am not going to feel inept. Just thought I'd be honest about the experience there. From what everybody else said, the place is a magic wonderland of fish limits. The catfish are biting all day and all night, and trout and kokanee morning and day. Well, we fished morning noon and night and only caught one very small koke. We tried various methods such as trolling with downriggers, "drop-shotting", bottom fishing with bait, according to whichever species we were targeting. We even had one of those green-glowing underwater lights to attract baitfish and thus, game fish. The baitfish came, all right, but nothing more. Tried various places from one end to the other. Followed all the advice. There were fish galore on our fish finder, but only that one little baby bit. Don't think we will go back. Also, nobody ever mentioned one word about the night-time wind that comes up, so that was a surprise when we came out of a cove to return to the boat ramp and docks. There were big rollers that made for quite the carnival ride on the way back! Forget fishing during the day around there, too, because you may end up in the emergency room like I did. (I did all the right things, sunscreen, water, good sunglasses, hat). But the heat is just too much -- you will cook! So fish in the very early morning then get out. If you are wanting to play in the water, then you can stay out and ski or whatever. I am just disappointed, I guess, because of all the glowing reports that this is a can't miss place to fish. Oh, and if you go in late summer, be prepared to walk a long ways up the boat ramp in the hot sun to come back from, or go up to, your truck and trailer! The water is down very low.

Visited August 2012