“Echo River Trips Completes My 2013 Bucket List”

Middle Fork of the Salmon River
Ranked #35 of 666 things to do in Idaho
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The 105-mile stretch of the Salmon River cuts through a highly inaccessible and untamed part of Idaho's rugged countryside.
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Not everyone subscribes to the "Bucket List" method, looking for that spectacular once in a lifetime trip. If you are, then Echo River Trips and the Middle Fork of the Salmon River will most definitely be the most remembered trip of a lifetime.
I have traveled all over the world and the most spectacular river in the world complimenting my Bucket List is the Middle Fork of the Salmon River. In my travels I have contracted with major tour companies, Nepali Sherpas and self guide. I have never come across a more dedicated and talented staff of guides than those guiding for Echo River Trips.
Next time you and your friends are looking for the experience of a lifetime, look no further than running the Middle Fork of the Salmon River with Echo River Trips.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"memorable trip"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 26 December 2013

The middle fork of the Salmon river is truly a unique place. Our trip with Steve Zettel and his crew couldn't have gone better. You can tell that the guides enjoy the trips as much as the guests do and they go out of their way to show you why (and the meals were out of this world). Our trip was a fall fishing trip and we caught so many trout that by the end of the trip my wife had gone to a hookless fly so that she would not have to unhook any more fish. If you are considering a week on a river, I recommend the middle fork of the Salmon.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Did the six day mid-August trip with Rocky Mountain River Tours. The food amazing...the guides were all dedicated river rats who love the river...and really work hard from morning til night to ensure everyone has the best possible experience.

It is very common here to read a review that claims their outfitter is the best on the river. Not sure how the reviewer can make such a claim since they have really only made the trip with one outfitter. In my opinion, all the outfitters are good or you would be reading complaints. Further, one can't judge which might be best by the numer of reviews for a single outfitter because some may encourage guests to write reviews on TA, Rocky Mountain River Tours never brought up the subject.

Again, I can't say too much good about the RMRT crew, they were all (I think) college educated, Idaho natives and had years of experience on the river doing it because they loved it. Won't go into all the positives, those things have been said by others, will mention a couple of different things not noted by others.

It is pretty normal that mid-to-late season, depending on rainfall and the river level, all outfitters will start their floats farther downstream which will necessitate flying in to small strips on the river. This adds another $120 per person cost to the trip.

I love to fish but have no interest in fly fishing. While the dedicated fly fishing outfitters may frown on using spinning rods, there is no law saying you can't. Only that one use artificial bait with a single hook with no barbs. Wished I had brought a small ultra-lite with a selection of Mepps spinners. Quite sure I could have caught more and bigger fish than what the fly fishermen caught. Especially in the quiet pools.

Well it may have looked a bit dorky, I wore my dive boots most of the time. Wet or dry they kept my feet warm. Some of the camp sites were very sandy so I kept them on until I turned into my sleeping bag. This kept the sand out of my sleeping bag. For the camp sites that were on firm ground, wore my Keen water shoes but kept them dry.

Things I brought that I did not need, socks and a weeks supply of high energy snacks. RMRT had an ample supply of really good snacks at every stop. Rain pants...what's the point? It was warm enough that rafting or kayaking one gets wet and one dries out.

Some thing I should have brought, ultra-light fishing tackle and UW lip balm.

The mountain goats you will see along the way have survived because they are sure footed. Pay heed to their approach and wear footwear that will keep you sure footed amongst the often rocky terrain. Flip-flops do not fit in the sure footed category and falls are perhaps the most common danger on the trip.

One final observation, where we put in, the water was quite cold. As we progresed down the river the water got warmer and warmer. Again, it was mid-August but near the end of the trip, myself and another guest found a sandy bottom in the river and were able to sit chest deep in the water for about 45 min engrossed in some meaningful conversation.

BTW, I did not bother with with setting up a tent, it was quite nice to sleep under the stars and the mats and sleeping bags were amazingly comfortable.

4  Thank aerodog
Reviewed 19 October 2013

If you are looking for a great and memorable white water rafting trip, Middle Fork River Tours is the company to go with. This was on my wife’s and my bucket list. I searched the web to find the best river. The Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho is the one that always comes up as the best. Next, I had to find the best outfit to book with. Middle Fork River Tours was a standout. It is not owned by a corporation or a branch of a large travel company. It is owned and operated by a Firefighter and his wife. Clint Frank has been a raft guild on the river for years. He has handpicked his guides and has put together a team of professionals that cannot be matched. They are personable, fun and very good rafters. The tents and camp are put up before you arrive. The food is unbelievable. Every meal is different and absolutely gourmet. Take a look at their web page. As good as it looks, the actual trip is even better. I cannot recommend this company and trip any higher. They are the best. It was so good in 2012 that we returned in 2013.