“Middle Fork - Salmon”

Middle Fork of the Salmon River
Ranked #15 of 594 things to do in Idaho
More attraction details
Owner description: The 105-mile stretch of the Salmon River cuts through a highly inaccessible and untamed part of Idaho's rugged countryside.
San Jose, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Middle Fork - Salmon”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My family of 4, (Mother, Father and 2 boys - 11 and 13 years old) took a 6 day rafting trip with Hughes River Expeditions down the middle fork of the Salmon in July 2013. We have been on several rafting trips - The Colorado river - through the Grand Canyon (before the kids). IF YOU WANT THE BEST WHITEWATER/HIKING TRIP OF YOUR LIFE, YOU MUST TRY THE COLORADO! With the kids, we have been on 3 and 4 day trips, on the Rogue and Klamath rivers. Both were excellent. For the 3 rivers I mentioned, we went with O.A.R.S. They were excellent; experienced and entertaining. We didn't go with OARS on the Salmon because, for some reason, they don't offer transportation back to town:( Looking for another rafting company, I came across Hughes. They really know the Salmon River and their guides are die hard river rats. I felt that our lives were in the best hands. They also cater very well to the fly fisherman...moving the raft a little this way or that to get the best line lie. Also, they set up the tents themselves....OARS, has you set up your own tents. Food was great. One small disappointment with Hughes is that the guides are not as entertaining as the OARS guides. The middle fork is LONG...sometimes you are rafting for 6 hours a day...a little entertainment....jokes, riddles, a spontaneous water fight is welcome. At camp, the OARS guides would find something entertaining for the kids to do. The side trips...hiking...maybe are just not exciting on the Salmon...the hiking is to just 'another miners' abandoned shack'. Although on our other trips OARS made boring side hikes interesting by such things as a 'warriors bravery contest' and some Indian mythology talks. (There were no boring side hikes on the Colorado) The Salmon river was beautiful and quite clear (at least for the first few days). The fly fishing was very good until the river turned muddy. The whitewater was challenging, especially if you got into the individual kayaks. The weather can change quickly however, it was nice the whole time we were on our trip. The scenery is beautiful....but again, not as awe inspiring as the Colorado!

Visited July 2013

Walhalla, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Rocky Mountain River Tours!”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Last summer (2013), I made my second trip with Rocky Mountain River Tours (RMRT). My first was in the summer of 2012 with 9 members of my family, but this trip was solo. I have to say that while I was skeptical that I would have as good of a time by myself, I had a BLAST. Also, the founders of RMRT, Dave and Sheila Mills, had sold the company to Jared Hopkinson of Sawtooth Adventures, and I wondered if the tradition of excellence that RMRT established under the Mills would be compromised under the new leadership. Jared has done a GREAT job of maintaining that tradition of excellence, and I was so very pleased that everything was just as wonderful as before. The guides at RMRT make the trip what it is, and their personalities are a perfect mix for a great time and lots of adventure! RMRT maintains the same guides year after year with exceptionally few changes. This speaks VOLUMES about RMRT as a company on so very many levels. Going on a cross-country trip alone as a female in my early 40s for a wilderness adventure was a lot to bite off. I've never been accused of being anything less than independent and/or headstrong, but it was great to do that myself. That being said, I could not have done it without each of the guides. I was concerned that I would be lonely, traveling by myself. Looking back, I don't know why it even crossed my mind. They all took such good care of me. Each of them is extraordinary at what they do, and they are all wonderful, intelligent, extraordinary, funny, vivacious, caring, magnetic people. They are a perfect blend of talents and personalities that make the trip what it is. The Middle Fork stole a piece of my heart the first time I went down in 2012, and I will return this summer for a third trip, my second solo trip. Be prepared to grieve a loss when you leave! If someone were to ask me if I would consider using another outfitter, my response is this: Why should I seek another outfitter when I’ve found complete perfection? Choose Rocky Mountain River Tours! You will never regret a second of it, and I guarantee that you will recommend Rocky Mountain River Tours to everyone you know!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Mary S
Los Altos Hills, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Echo River Trips-The Best River Company”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I went down the Middle Fork of the Salmon River last August with the company- Echo River Trip. It was such an amazing experience for many reasons. The beauty of the river and surrounding wilderness was indescribable. It was peaceful yet the rapids were rated 2-4 level which made it extremely fun and exciting. The guides were all incredibly competent in their skill of reading and navigating the river. They had many added talents such as preparing three gourmet meals a day, entertainment at night (singing and games) and most importantly each guide was full of warmth and compassion. They were such hard working, friendly human beings. My husband and I just hated to leave them at the end of the trip.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Ceciliacadet
Los Altos Hills
“Echo River Trips Completes My 2013 Bucket List”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Not everyone subscribes to the "Bucket List" method, looking for that spectacular once in a lifetime trip. If you are, then Echo River Trips and the Middle Fork of the Salmon River will most definitely be the most remembered trip of a lifetime.
I have traveled all over the world and the most spectacular river in the world complimenting my Bucket List is the Middle Fork of the Salmon River. In my travels I have contracted with major tour companies, Nepali Sherpas and self guide. I have never come across a more dedicated and talented staff of guides than those guiding for Echo River Trips.
Next time you and your friends are looking for the experience of a lifetime, look no further than running the Middle Fork of the Salmon River with Echo River Trips.

Visited August 2013
Hamilton, Montana
“Idaho Wilderness Company Middle Fork Raft Trip”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The middle fork of the Salmon river is truly a unique place. Our trip with Steve Zettel and his crew couldn't have gone better. You can tell that the guides enjoy the trips as much as the guests do and they go out of their way to show you why (and the meals were out of this world). Our trip was a fall fishing trip and we caught so many trout that by the end of the trip my wife had gone to a hookless fly so that she would not have to unhook any more fish. If you are considering a week on a river, I recommend the middle fork of the Salmon.

Visited September 2013