“Raft Supported Kayak Trip”

Middle Fork of the Salmon River
Ranked #17 of 651 things to do in Idaho
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The 105-mile stretch of the Salmon River cuts through a highly inaccessible and untamed part of Idaho's rugged countryside.
Reviewed 2 July 2014

These guys are great and made the trip a lot of fun for a raft supported kayaker. Food was great, guides were fun, can't say enough good things.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I've been down the Middle Fork Salmon a dozen or so times with three outfitters and on private trips. Middle Fork River Expeditions is the best outfitter I've gone with for several reasons.

The first reason is the crew's professional competence and experience. MFRE's crew is top of the line in that regard. All are highly trained and experienced, and the outfitter has organized for cutting edge expeditionary raft trips globally. The crew composition is consistent, year to year. I've been down with outfitters that hire high school kids . . . not too reassuring at times.

The second reason is the character of the crew members. All all quite distinct, amiable, and helpful personalities. They are great fun to be around on the river. Very likable people.

The third reason is the food the crew prepares. The menu includes traditional river fare (fresh salmon, prime rib, tenderloin, steak) as well as an abundance of vegetables and fruits daily; more than I've seen on any other trip. Lunches are always a treat with nicely planned deli offerings, salads, and fruit. Breakfasts are great also: I know what I need to get going in the morning, and it's always there. I should add that there were several vegans on the last two trips I've been on with MFRE, and a non-gluten member. All were quite pleased with the accommodations MFRE made for them.

This outfit is the best I know of for the Middle and Main Salmon.

2  Thank JMS3
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Middle Fork River Expeditions ("MFRE") took my four friends and me (the "Fab Five") down the Middle Fork of the Salmon in June of 2014. It was about the 20th river that I've rafted in the West, and for sheer scenery; continuous whitewater; weather; and hot springs, it was the best.
The MFRE guides were extremely experienced, competent, considerate, and fun--they made the trip fantastic. I'd recommend this trip--with these guides--to anyone looking for the ultimate whitewater rafting/camping/hiking trip. The Fab Five gives it 10 Thumbs up!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have travelled down the Middle Fork Salmon with Middle Fork Wilderness Outfitters 3 times and I have never been disappointed. The owners and guides are top notch. I could not fathom going on a commercial trip with anyone else. Last year I took my 12 year old niece, who had never camped or been on the river before, and she had an amazing time and is chomping at the bit to return. I highly recommend Middle Fork Wilderness Outfitter to those who have never been on the river as well as to those who have been down the river for years.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

My family of 4, (Mother, Father and 2 boys - 11 and 13 years old) took a 6 day rafting trip with Hughes River Expeditions down the middle fork of the Salmon in July 2013. We have been on several rafting trips - The Colorado river - through the Grand Canyon (before the kids). IF YOU WANT THE BEST WHITEWATER/HIKING TRIP OF YOUR LIFE, YOU MUST TRY THE COLORADO! With the kids, we have been on 3 and 4 day trips, on the Rogue and Klamath rivers. Both were excellent. For the 3 rivers I mentioned, we went with O.A.R.S. They were excellent; experienced and entertaining. We didn't go with OARS on the Salmon because, for some reason, they don't offer transportation back to town:( Looking for another rafting company, I came across Hughes. They really know the Salmon River and their guides are die hard river rats. I felt that our lives were in the best hands. They also cater very well to the fly fisherman...moving the raft a little this way or that to get the best line lie. Also, they set up the tents themselves....OARS, has you set up your own tents. Food was great. One small disappointment with Hughes is that the guides are not as entertaining as the OARS guides. The middle fork is LONG...sometimes you are rafting for 6 hours a day...a little entertainment....jokes, riddles, a spontaneous water fight is welcome. At camp, the OARS guides would find something entertaining for the kids to do. The side trips...hiking...maybe are just not exciting on the Salmon...the hiking is to just 'another miners' abandoned shack'. Although on our other trips OARS made boring side hikes interesting by such things as a 'warriors bravery contest' and some Indian mythology talks. (There were no boring side hikes on the Colorado) The Salmon river was beautiful and quite clear (at least for the first few days). The fly fishing was very good until the river turned muddy. The whitewater was challenging, especially if you got into the individual kayaks. The weather can change quickly however, it was nice the whole time we were on our trip. The scenery is beautiful....but again, not as awe inspiring as the Colorado!

1  Thank C K