“Beautiful and refreshing !”

Ranked #455 of 1,671 things to do in Missouri
More attraction details
Owner description: Protected area consisting of 134 miles of the Current and Jacks Fork Rivers in the Ozark Highlands of southeastern Missouri, which offers excellent opportunities for canoeing, kayaking, tubing and fishing.
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The park is very large and we found a place to rent tubes and glide down the river. It was very hot so we stayed in the river most of the time. We saw lots of wildlife and had a great time. The water is so clear you can see the bottom !

All reviews
"route"
"vehicle"
"waterfall"

Reviewed 29 July 2013

For canoeing, kayaking or tubing, you just can't beat the clean, clear, cold waters of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways. It's so clear you can see the bottom even when the water is way over your head. Beautiful! We've always canoed the Jacks Fork River from Alley Spring to Two Rivers. An excellent way to spend a day. There are several other options on the Jacks Fork and Current Rivers and I'm sure they are all just as nice. We just seem to always do this one. I guess it's our tradition. We hadn't been in 15 years, but the river was mostly the same. Mostly, it's a pretty slow river, so it's great for all ages, but I would definitely recommend a life jacket for the younger ones. My kids had a great time and would jump out and swim alongside the canoe when they got hot.

1  Thank Britra0004
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Camped out in Ally Spring in June 2012 as we were on a road trip from Houston, TX to Niagara Falls, Canada. Our campsite was very hard to find as they have several entrances and not very well marked. I did not have cell service (Verizon) so I could not locate my family members that were already situated. We turned into one camp ground that said Ally Spring and were looking for the camp ground – there were no visible signs so we took a road that we thought would take us to our camp ground. HUGE mistake!!!!! Not sure where it takes you, but about a mile or two into the trail – we reversed all the way back. It’s a very narrow road (perhaps a walking trail or for employees to take on a golf cart) but again, it was unmarked. One wrong move made by my DH, and we would probably would have gone over the cliff and onto the river. It was very nerve wracking reversing those two miles out.
After we safely made it out, we got back on the main road and finally found our camp site.
The camp site was nice, with the exception of no hot water!!
The next morning we took a tour of Ally Spring – just gorgeous and breath taking!!!!
We walked around Round Spring and were just mesmerized on how blue the water was!
We tried to do the cave tour – but unbeknownst to us, they only do them at certain times, so we didn’t get a chance to do it since we had to head to our next destination.
We really wanted to see Devil’s Well as well, but it was closed for renovation.
We took a long hike into the woods as there was a sign that said that there was a cave in the middle of it. After walking for what seemed like miles, we got scared and turned around. So who knows if it was even there?
All in all – Ozark is a calm place for a weekend camping site with the family. Even though we went in the summertime – it was cool. Thankfully we had brought big blankets and light jackets.

1  Thank Jessica R
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Rocky Falls in Shannon County is a quiet little stair-step waterfall, off of the beaten path. It’s quiet beauty and soothing sounds feel soothing and peaceful to me. I always enjoy a visit. During the hottest summer months their may be several people playing on the falls and in the pool below, but any other time of year that I have visited it is quiet and serene. The fall colors are beautiful around mid October and it's generally a great place to take pictures of nature.

2  Thank kristenwattsonline