“Remote, Beautiful and Unspoiled”

Ranked #870 of 1,659 things to do in Missouri
More attraction details
Owner description: Scenic river that is well-known for recreational opportunities such as canoeing and kayaking.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I floated this river last year and will return in the next two weeks. The water is cold and clear. I floated the trophy trout waters of this magnificent river. I put in at Blair Access with my MOKAI and had the river to my self, went up to and past River Of Life Resort. There is a rocky falls, small only about 18"-24" high, just above the resort. I had a great time fishing and just wandering about in mind and spirit. It was a week day and I was the only craft on the river except for the birds and wildlife.

1  Thank BobbyBluewaters

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We just floated this part of the river last weekend. The water level was perfect. moving nicely. areas of ripples and a waterfall to go over (or not). Had a great time with a group. We stayed at Twin Bridges campground and canoe rental. Have been there before they take good care of you there.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Several different float trips of various lengths available. Float trips on weekdays are quiet and peaceful. Seeing wildlife such as deer is likely. I live nearby and took my son and grandson from Tulsa and they can't wait to go again. We took a four hour float from Hebron to Twin Bridges. Fished some, had lunch on a gravel bar and only paddled to avoid obstructions and keep the canoe straight and made the float in four hours. No Styrofoam coolers or glass containers allowed on the river by state law. If you bring a cooler make sure that it is not Styrofoam and drink containers should be plastic or cans. Any of the floats are great but shorter floats are more appropriate for younger ones.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Not often one gets a decent float on the last weekend of June during a drought, but this trip was worth the drive from Joplin. Put in at Twin Bridges, took out at Blair, with two kayaks and one canoe, we drug a little and only had to portage once. The cold spring water was a lifesaver on the 102 degree day. Not very crowded, very peaceful float even on a Saturday. Would recommend taking a fishing pole as the rainbow trout and goggle eye are plentiful. Be sure to check out the bat cave and blue spring, well worth the stops. This fifteen mile float took us from nine a.m. to nearly six p.m., with plenty of stops along the way. Several rapids and chutes, including "the falls" makes this a good kayak run. Hope to go back again, maybe after a good rain.

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 June 2012

This is close to home for us, so we visit often. If you have your own kayaks, canoes or tubes - it can be free or almost free. A good float in a canoe or kayak is from Hammond to Blair. Another option is from Blair to Dawt Mill. You will have to pay a fee to take out at Dawt. (There is another spot where locals take out but at times the land owner tries to stop this activity - so I can't recommend it to the public.)
I actually love to float from Blair down in a tube. This takes much longer so you may want to take out at Patrick. If the river is high, this would be a very short float but is a good test of whether you enjoy it. Floating in a tube is nice when it is really hot or when the river is low. You will find that canoes and kayaks drag on the gravel when the water is low and a tube will float right over it. We use 2 cars and we have a little pump for our tubes. We inflate them when we start and deflate them when we get out. I always carry an extra because ours aren't high quality. Sometimes they leak a little but we've never had a major blow-out.
On weekends, the river is sometimes crowded and noisy. A lot of people drink and do stupid things. I don't enjoy being around that, so if I can - I visit on weekdays. I prefer to be with just a friend or two, relaxing and visiting.
This river is great for kids. Most kids can handle it easily at about age 7 or 8. Of course, I would recommend that a child wear a life jacket. However, the deep part is very calm normally and the rapids are usually shallow. Risk is low, in my opinion.
It's a place I love, if you visit - clean up and don't be stupid!

3  Thank KAREN T