“The Ultimate Western Experience”
Review of Wild Horse Safaris

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nevada
Wild Horse Safaris
Ranked #26 of 159 Speciality Lodging in Nevada
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I worked in central Nevada for several weeks and had the honor of staying at the Wild Horse Safaris for the duration of my stay. Jerry, the owner, is one of the nicest people I have ever met and he was more than happy to show us all of great things to do around the area.

The ranch house is a beautifully built log home with a spectacular porch overlooking the valley. Other features of the ranch grounds are and western style saloon, a refreshing pond and two very friendly donkeys.

The scenery in the Monitor valley has a rugged beauty to it's sagebrush plains, it seems the type of country that the cowboys of old used to roam.

The nearby Monitor and Toquima mountain ranges offer breathtaking scenery that are to me are unmatched anywhere else. Both mountain ranges offer wildlife viewing opportunities of wild horses, elk, deer, coyotes, and if you are lucky bobcats and cougars.

There is a nearby decommissioned silver mine that has been remade for safe viewing. A hot spring is also located nearby the ranch that provides a great way to relax at the end of a hard, This was also one of my favorite places to watch the stars from (you will see shooting stars).

The town of Belmont is also located within an hour of the ranch. There are many of historic buildings one can tour in town as well as some friendly locals.

I highly recommend making your way out to the Wild Horse Safaris, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and given the chance would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Micah W

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We were able to make a return visit to the ranch in September and meet up with Jerry again. Just as last time he was very welcoming. The set up for visitors to the ranch has changed slightly from our last visit in that we had access to the ranch kitchen to prepare breakfast and dinner for ourselves, or as we did on several occasions for Jerry and his resident helper on the ranch. This made for very social gatherings; all very pleasurable eating and conversation. Jerry was very flexible and accommodating for our needs.

Our various activities in valley kept us outside during the day, but a lunch at the ranch is just fine if you want. It is a very relaxed atmosphere. Most days we hiked, either up one of the nearby canyons, across the valley or up in the hills. For urban folk like us the remoteness and beauty of the valley and hills is just wonderful. We also traveled by truck up into some of the canyons and across into the next valley. Reassuring to have Jerry with us on these trips as the location is remote (by UK standards!) and there is so much to be gained from his local knowledge of the wildlife and history. We managed to get many stunning pictures of the wild horses and antelope.

We were keen to get involved with some of the activities around the ranch and pleased to help out with some of the tasks that keep a place like this going. It was really good fun for us. Many aspects of life on a remote ranch like this so different from urban life in the city. Makes you look at life quite differently.

Our accommodation in the house was clean and very comfortable with the necessary amenities close by. Would certainly want to return and meet up with Jerry again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rheuuowa
Reviewed 17 March 2014

While working in central Nevada for several months, I had the pleasure of staying at the ranch for extended periods. The scenery, the accommodations, and the host are second to none. Located in a remote area with abundant wildlife and rugged mountains, there are plenty of opportunities for hiking/riding/exploring. The ranch is well designed, built and handles all the needs plus more that one may have. Jerry Elkins is a great guy, trustworthy, and never in shortage of offering a story or two that will captivate any audience. After enjoying a beautiful sunrise on the wrap-around deck, a days worth of exploring Central Nevada, and sunset like no other, a million stars come at night to play. Whether it be hiking, horseback riding, or just going for a drive, the 1000's of acres will not leave you disappointed. Jerry helps provide a great time in a great location. I'm looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Brian H
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I worked in central Nevada and stayed with Jerry off and on for several months. I've done a lot of traveling in the American West, and this is without a doubt one of my favorite spots. It is a remote area with beautiful rugged mountains, and the ranch is a perfect fit. It is very well-built and comfortable without seeming excessive for the setting. If that weren't enough, Jerry is an awesome guy! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Connor W
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed with Jerry at the ranch and had an absolute blast for the duration of the stay (pretty much an entire summer)! I made so many memories there that I'll carry with me for the rest of my life.

The first thing you notice about the ranch in Ike's Canyon is it's beauty and the second is how quiet the area is--great for sleeping and relaxing. You're in the middle of a valley with hardly any neighbors, except for antelope, wild horses and burros, elk, mule deer, coyotes, and a myriad of bird species (so for you desert birders, this would be great). Ike's canyon was easily accessible by truck or horse (and I wish I had taken my bike with me).

Getting up into the mountains and back down into the valley is pretty much a dream, especially for those interested in scenic vistas and/or wildlife. At night the stars are endless, especially from the natural hot springs hot tub, and fire flies (yes, seriously, fire flies) dot the landscape.

On the ranch you can hang with the animals--several horses, Penny and Pixie the donkeys, Bonnet the friendliest dog in the world, and if he's still kickin', Lance the goat. Also at the ranch you can take advantage of the pond on a hot day and slide right into it, or even just paddle around it for a bit. Plus, at night you might even find yourself in the saloon and if you're lucky enough you'll have the company of some of the "locals." They're some of the nicest folks anywhere.

The accommodations in the home are cozy and quiet. The kitchen and dining room provide a great place to share a meal or play cards, but the veranda and the back patio are really great places to make memories and enjoy the beauty of the national forest that abuts the property.

As soon as I can, I'm heading back there. It's definitely a place I want to share with my friends and family and you will too... so what are you waiting for?!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rangiferina
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We spent 5 days with Jerry at the Brass Ring Ranch over the July 4th week. Jerry was a warm and welcoming host who was so incredibly knowledgeable about the area, its history, and whatever other random questions we threw at him. He left the schedule completely up to us, so we were able to do as little or as much as we wanted.

Accommodations: Reading about how remote the ranch was, and that it was completely off the grid, we weren't quite sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised to find an absolutely lovely log cabin with all the modern comforts of home. Our room was beautifully decorated with a comfortable king size bed and a private bathroom right across the hall.

Animals: We are animal lovers, so the highlight of the trip was being able to spend time with the menagerie of 4-legged creatures who share the ranch with Jerry. Every one of them is friendly, with their own unique personalities. From Bonnet the dog who greeted us every morning with a tongue-bath and enthusiastic tail wagging show, to Mei the cat who thought she was a dog and would lie in the middle of the hallway hoping for a belly rub, to the 5 horses and 2 donkeys who eagerly gathered for apple treats whenever we went to the corral.

Activities: We got the opportunity to spend an entire morning on a horseback riding trip up into the canyon. The horses hadn't been ridden in a while, so were a bit "barn sour" at first, but once we got out of view of the ranch they perked right up and we had a great ride. Jake was so sweet and patient despite my being pretty much a beginner rider, and Captain was so spirited and well-matched for my New Yorker husband. The views on the ride were like none we've ever seen before, with the terrain changing at every turn.

Jerry also took us out hiking. We got to see his abandoned silver mine, petroglyphs, amazing views, and magical forest clearings. And every night we ended with a trip down to the hot mineral water springs for a soak under the stars, serenaded by cows.

We also spent a day in Belmont, the ghost town 40 miles away, participating in the July 4th festivities. There was a cute parade, a fun auction, and lots of activity at the 2 bars in town. The locals were so incredibly warm and friendly. And be sure to visit the two shops in town - Sticks & Stones, and Susie's Attic - for a unique souvenir of the trip.

It was a truly wonderful experience, and we would love to go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank C C
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Jerry and Rebecca are very hospitable and really nice people. You can do as much or as little as you like at the Brass Ring - if you want to enjoy the peace and quiet the scenery is breathtaking or if you want to hike there is plenty of area to explore. Food is good and the beds are comfy. We enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to go back the next time we get to Nevada.
The Husbands - New Jersey