“Great layout, terrible condition” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Mesa Golf Club

Black Mesa Golf Club
Ranked #1,396 of 1,144 things to do in New Mexico
More attraction details
Owner description: Black Mesa is a high-desert links style layout that weaves its way around and over sandstone foothills on the Santa Clara Pueblo located thirty minutes north of Santa Fe. Designed by Baxter Spann, the course opened in 2003 to numerous accolades including "Best New Affordable Course" by Golf Digest and one of the" Top Ten Courses You Can Play" that debuted that year by GOLF Magazine. Since then, Black Mesa has been continually cited in the media for its challenging play for golfers of all skill levels, stunning panoramic views and exceptional value. The course has been rated in the various industry Top 100 lists since it opened. and was recently named one of the "Ten Most Spectacular Courses in the World" by LINKS Magazine.
Okotoks, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great layout, terrible condition”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I had heard good things about Black Mesa and was looking forward to playing it. We played on April 21, 2014 so it was early in the season. Even taking into account how early it was the course was in terrible shape. There were dandelions and weeds everywhere. The tees and greens looked mostly dead and the fairways were in rough condition. It was clear that nobody had been preparing the course for the upcoming season and the day we played we didn't see anybody working on the course.

On the positive side the the course is an excellent layout with a lot of interesting holes right out in the desert. The fellow in the pro shop was friendly and helpful and gave us a discount on the green fees.

Visited April 2014

Ulysses, Kansas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great layout”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Awesome layout. Very poor maintenance, course appear to be design to play as a firm fast links style course. Greens very slow, weeds everywhere. It is like there is no turf maintenance. Loved the natural cart paths. Not sure why they do not take better care of the course. It could be a gem. Very fast play, also laid back and allow you to play with who you went with. I hate when expensive courses pair me up with people I do not know or care to meet or play golf with.

Visited July 2013
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth playing if you are in the area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I am a bit torn on how to review this course. I made a tee time as a single back in October of 2012, they happened to have an outing that day but did not tell me. The kid working in the pro shop had no idea what was going on but he was nice and that helped the situation. I eventually got out, I was told a few different things, I was going to play with these people, go off 9 or 1 and I ended up going off 1. I played as a single and played a few balls that round. Overall the course has a pretty layout and some great views but its definitely off the beaten path. The course was very dry but I just assumed that is how it is supposed to be. Its pretty much in the middle of no where. I believe they had GPS carts which was a plus as well. If I was passing by or in the area I would definitely check it out again but I don't know if I would go out of my way to play there again.

Visited October 2012
Houston, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Disappointing Track”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I played 18 holes here over July 4 Weekend with my husband, son and father. We had heard great things about this course, but were very disappointed in its condition. While the setting is beautiful and the concept of the layout is creative, the maintenance of the course is just not what we expected. The fairways were patchy with bare areas. However, the real problem is the greens. They are in awful shape...some are extremely long and slow as molasses...they are weedy and there is no way to get a good or true roll....making anything outside of 5 feet on these greens is pure luck and has nothing to do with skill. Few things are more frustrating than trying to have a legitimate round of golf where making a putt is all about luck and not skill.

One final problem that was perhaps unique to our group is that my father is 81 years old...while he is an avid golfer and in good shape, it was tough on him to play this course because the course does not allow golf carts to move about the course--in other words, there are large portions of many holes that are cart path only making it difficult for anyone who is not in pretty good shape to get around. Finally, the course was crowded and the play was quite slow. Part of the reason for that is that golfers have to do so much walking to and from carts (on the cart path) to balls in the fairways that play is slowed considerably. Oh yeah, there are no bathrooms for ladies on the course at all....only at the clubhouse.

Visited July 2013
5 attraction reviews
“Great track”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Played 36 holes on 6/10/2013. Overall good shape though fairways could be a little better. Lots of weeds in the fairways, they had been sprayed and were in the process of dying but still didn't look good.

Greens had lots of grass on them but were very slow. Hard to adapt after playing the fast greens at Paa Ko Ridge the day before.

Layout is awesome, the rugged look of the course is awesome. Anyone coming here and expecting a Troon North type look will be very disappointed. This is not your typical desert course where the desert itself looks as if a landscape architect designed it. If you want that look head over to Twin Warriors.

Got there just before a few minutes early for our 7:00 tee time. Unfortunately the assistant pro didn't get there until around 7:20. We paid and got going and virtually had the place to ourselves all day long.

Quit complaining about the dirt cart paths, there's nothing wrong with them. If they paved them you would complain that the green fees had gone up.

If there is one complaint I have that can be solved is the golf carts. This was my third trip to Black Mesa and always felt the carts were adequately powered until this trip. The old gas carts just didn't make it up a few of the inclines. Played Twin Warriors the next day and was blown away at the speed and power of their electric carts. Black Mesa should look into those carts.

Visited June 2013