“Cold in March!”
Review of Nantahala River

Nantahala River
Ranked #1,215 of 2,724 things to do in North Carolina
More attraction details
Owner description: Nationally-recognized as a river for recreation, play and sport, this is the place to go for rafting, kayaking, canoeing and other outdoor challenges.
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Took my high school senior son and two of his buddies rafting for spring break. We were the second group to raft the upper pigeon in 2013. Icicles were hanging from the rocks and the water and wind were painfully cold, but the guides from NOC took care of us as best they could. They provided good advice prior to our trip and good wetsuits and splash gear for the float at no extra charge. NOC has always been a first rate outfitter. I spend my money there, even though somewhat cheaper prices can often be found elsewhere.
As for the upper pigeon, its a good short trip for an introduction to rafting. Dont be scared off by the "thrill ride" characterizations unless you have small children. IMO, it's really milder than its class IIi-IV rating suggests; especially at the slightly higher than normal water levels at the time of our trip.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

This was our first class 4 rafting adventure (upper Pigeon river) and it was GREAT!!!! Casey was the guide on our raft and he made it a LOT of fun. There was almost continuous excitement with white water from class 2 to class 4 (mostly 3 & 4) the majority of the trip. We never got tired, but did get quite wet... goes with the territory :). These folks are very experienced and teach you everything you need to know. I would do it again in a heart beat!

Reviewed 6 June 2012

We picked NOC outfitters over everybody else on the recommendation of a family friend (and a lifelong river rat) and I'm so glad we did! I went with my wife and children ages 8 and 11, It was their first time and we all had a BLAST! NOC was fantastic from start to finish!! Charlie was our guide and was extremely safety conscious and loads of fun! My whole family is hooked and can't wait to go again! Do yourself a favor and book with NOC.

1  Thank Griff C
Reviewed 4 June 2012

What a wonderful day! The perfect second date event made even better by Sue, Steve and their crew. My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip down the Nantahala river and James, our guide, made it even better with his knowledge of the river, rafting and the area. He was also damned funny! We'll do it again! The other outfits may be bigger but I'm glad we chose nicest folks we met all day!

1  Thank Mark K
Reviewed 4 April 2012

The part of the Nantahala that borders the highway Is the common route for nearly all whitewater experiences. There are many companies who provide boats and gear as well as shuttle opportunities on and off the river. Having taught many "tadpoles" how to boat whitewater for many years. the Nantahala is one of my least favorites. It is COLD! Fed from the botton of a dam upriver the water is rarely over 45 degrees! It is also what we call a continuous wave river, meaning that is fast from beginning to end leaving little time to stop, rest and/or recover. For all that, there are ways to overcome the difficulties (wet suits for the cold) and it is a forgiving river, mistakes don't normally have dire consequences. Its a lot of fun and should be put on a must-do list when visiting Western North Carolina.

1  Thank Don M

Been to Nantahala River? Share your experiences!