“Okay if you're in the area. Not for a special trip”
Review of Tallgrass Prairie

Tallgrass Prairie
Ranked #205 of 743 things to do in Oklahoma
More attraction details
Owner description: A preserve, helping to keep alive the nation's most endangered major ecosystem.
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Okay if you're in the area. Not for a special trip”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My wife and I went hiking here a few years ago in the late spring/early summer. We son TONS of bison and went hiking. Only bad thing about the hiking is that the ticks in this area are out of control. Even with the strongest Deet bug spray, we had to stop every 2-3 minutes and take ticks off our legs and clothes. My wife and I hike alot so aren't strangers to ticks, but there were so many it was just miserable.

I went alone a week ago to shoot some video/photo of bison and didn't see ANY. Not one. Not hiding in the shade, not on the plains, no where. I'm guessing it might just be too hot for them.

Because of the unpredictability of bison viewing, and the miserable hiking conditions I'd only say go if you are close, otherwise skip it.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank marshallandroxy

Pell City, Alabama
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“don't go in a vette”
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Went today on a "day trip" - in a corvette. All of the roads in the preserve are gravel and very rough. It was horrible - the car will never be the same. Locals flying by, rocks flyng everywhere. We didn't think we would ever get out of there. I couldn't drive over about 10 mph. If we had known, we would have gone in the truck and would have had a great time - because we saw hundreds of bison. Maybe a dozen different herds of 50 to 100 or more each - up close and personal. I think the "loop" is actually about a 1000 miles.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank guvnerwl
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
254 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 440 helpful votes
“Home On The Range”
Reviewed 19 June 2011

My wife and I went here today and drove all of the places that we could. We saw one bison from about a quarter-mile away. There is a nice information center and a bunkhouse that is from the 1920's. We hiked the one-mile trail on a 95 degree day - the trail was fine for beginners. Unless you are in the area for another reason, I wouldn't come to this preserve. It is a preserve first, then an attraction second.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank AlphaRam
Denison, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“How the frontier once looked. Very educational.”
Reviewed 27 December 2008

The Tallgrass Prairie Preserve in Northeast Oklahoma is a reestablished portion of the prairie by the Nature Conservancy. Educational programs that include controlling invasive plants, controlled burns and better grazing practices help continue the ecosystem. The reintroduction of bison to the prairie has also helped to maintain the prairie. The original herd of 300 bison that was introduced in 1993 has grown to about 2,500 head. The bison are monitored to control disease and genetic mixing. The bison can be viewed safely from your vehicle while driving the ten-mile bison loop. There are some marked hiking trails available. Travel Safe_JAGIN

8 Thank JAGIN

Been to Tallgrass Prairie? Share your experiences!