“An Essential Daytrip from Portland”

Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway
Book In Advance
More Info
US$99.00*
and up
Bike and Hike: Columbia River Gorge Adventure from Portland
Ranked #247 of 2,315 things to do in Oregon
More attraction details
Owner description: This route meanders past cascading waterfalls, parks and hiking trails while offering expansive views of the Gorge.
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Making this drive along the Columbia River is an essential day trip from Portland. (It's a bonus of the city that, in addition to a lively downtown, it affords easy access to a beautiful coastline, excellent wineries, the Columbia River and Mt. Hood.) In my opinion, the "must" stops along Highway 30 traveling east from Portland are Vista House and Multnomah Falls, but the smaller falls are also worth a look. Once you've made it all the way to Hood River, definitely make the trip up to the Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. Stop at one of the many fruit stands or orchards along the way. Admire the craftsmanship of the Timberline and enjoy a drink at its Ramshead Bar while looking farther up the mountain at its snow-capped peak. This is nature at its best ... with a cocktail.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

We have spent a week in this area for the last 4 years and we always find some "new" falls to see. There are so many beautiful sights and so many ways to enjoy them. The area is absolutely gorgeous and can be experienced by those who are able to hike as well as those who might not be able to because of time or strength.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

I am glad to take time to do this during my recent trip to Portland. I felt early and glad that I did. By the time I come back down from the top of Multnomah Falls, the place was packed. I recommend leaving portland early to avoid the tour buses and traffic. Also went up to timberline lodge on Mt Hood and took a tour. What a wonderful history. On the way there, stopped at the fruit stand and bought some wonderful cherries.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

The Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway was created in the early 1900's as the first road through the gorge. As time went on, and other roads were built, it came into disrepair. In the early 1990's, Senator Mark Hatfield (R-Oregon) began obtaining money from the US Congress to repair parts of the road for hiking, biking and scenic driving. Today, about one third of the road is for
walking/biking and one third is for driving. The remaining third was destroyed by the construction of Interstate 84. A good website to go to on the history of the highway is: <http://www.hcrh.org/history.html> As far as how to access the different sections, go to the State of Oregon web site: <http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_155.php>. It is well worth a trip! I enjoy the roadway every time I go there.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Everyone must check out the Columbia Gorge... Even if you are just driving through. We wanted to hike Multnomah Falls but it was packed so we went a little farther to Horsetail trail. It was soooo beautiful! We too the trail that went behind the waterfall!

After our hike we crossed over the Bridge of the gods and got icecream in Stevenson, WA. It was a perfect-sunny day... The Pacific NW at its finest!