“Custer must see” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harney Peak

Ranked #36 of 449 things to do in South Dakota
More attraction details
Owner description: At over 7,200 feet, this is the Black Hills tallest mountain.
Ottawa, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Custer must see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Nice hike ending at impressive fire tower. Definitely continue on & do Little Devil's Tower.
Park entrance fee a little steep -have to pay for week even if you're going for a day.

Hibbing, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great hike!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I visited the Black Hills in June and we wanted to do a lot of hiking on the trip. Harney Peak was highly recommended and it was great! We took Trail 9 from Sylvan Lake, which I believe is rated moderate, but it's a little strenuous the last 1/2 hour or so of the ascent (we're 62 and 55). As others have mentioned, pack plenty of water and wear appropriate shoes. It was a little warm the day we hiked and we noticed a few families with younger children who appeared to have no water with them.

We had a little excitement on the trail when I was attempting to take a picture of two mule deer who were grazing nearby. Apparently, I startled them because they ran directly at me until I screamed and they ran off! My husband said, "You move pretty fast for an old girl" and then asked me if I got the picture...LOL!

Great hike, beautiful country!

2 Thank Wheaties59
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Incredible Views - worth the time investment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The entire hike on Trail #9 both directions (for our family of 6 - kids ages 9-15) took about 4.5 hours (1.75 hr up, 1.5 hr down, and the remainder at the top enjoying the view). I recommend bringing plenty of water and substantial snacks if you have kids. As others have reviewed, wear walking shoes or hiking boots as the path can sometimes have loose or protruding rocks.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank WLF_0788
Rockford, Illinois, United States
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Fun hike and great view at the top”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our hike to Harney Peak was one of our favorite things we did in SD. It took us about 1.5 hrs to hike up, hung out for ~30 min at the top and ate our picnic lunch and 1 hr. down. There is nothing difficult about the hike other than the duration and incline (never too bad) and you can always stop and rest along the way to take in the beauty of the area.

2 Thank Jill P
Hutchinson, Kansas
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Don't chicken out of the drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have anxiety disorder, I hate heights, and was driving alone with my two kids. However, I'm so glad I drove to the top. We were all pretty scared in the car on the way up, but once we made it we all felt like it brought us a little closer and made a nice memory to share for the vacation. The kids will remember how they felt on the drive up rather than the views, but that's what matters - how they felt on vacation is what I want them to remember later on :)