“Worthwhile backroad Drive In/Out of Arches NP”

Ranked #149 of 1,139 things to do in Utah
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular 'road drive', along the Colorado River.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

On our way out of Moab / Arches NP and heading for Colorado, we decided to take the "Scenic Byway" of route 128 alongside the Colorado River on Route 128 back to I-70. This is a beautiful drive and much better than the route on the west side of the park we came down on. Took about a hour to drive the 40 or so miles but well worth it! Nickname of the road is "Dinosaur Diamond Prehistoric Pwky? and the buttes and canyons along the way are definitely a geology lesson!

3  Thank johnmc82

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Leaving Moab toward Denver we decided to take this instead of 191. We did it without stopping and it took us only 50 minutes. The drive was beautiful and barely set us back on time at all.
If we weren't trying to get somewhere we could have doubled that time with many worthy photo stops, but even if you don't stop the scenery is worth it.

3  Thank RAW17
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I had planned this for our drive to Utah and after hours on the road decided just to follow my GPS, several tour guides and wait staff at restaurants convinced us we needed to take this road back. Utah is scary coming from the east because from the moment you enter there is nothing until Moab. I mean you can't see anything, there is nothing out there but desert. So on the way back, the red rocks around you are amazing, you cannot beat the views and there are plenty of stopping points along the river. My gps however would not recognize this route and we had to go without it most of the way back to the highway. Towards the end it gets flat and you don't see any signs for a little while or anything and then there is a cisco ghost town which we slowed down and took some pictures of. Also, "business 6" the "highway" that connects to the i70, is a total misnomer as there are no businesses. But rest assured, If you drag and drop the route to 128 in google maps and print it, you will you get back to the highway. Towards the end my GPS came back on and was telling me to go the opposite direction to I70 as the printed directions, but I followed the print out and it worked out fine.

3  Thank Melios333
Reviewed 27 April 2014

When posting along our journey on Facebook a friend suggested we get off I-70 and find UT 128. We did and were awed by the spectacular views. A must.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Magnificent country with natural images even Disney would not be able to create. Driving along the Trail of the Ancestors, you can only imagine the lives of those who lived in this area before highways. Take the time to drive and stop during the daylight hours. Bring a picnic and take as many photos as you can. Every curve provides a visual memory!

2  Thank LauraInDenver