“Scary drive but I am glad we did it”
Review of Moki Dugway

Moki Dugway
Ranked #107 of 1,150 things to do in Utah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We drove it downhill and appeared pretty scary when stopped to take a few pictures from the top. The panorama view from the top is incredible. The drive is short but we drove it slowly and mostly in the middle of the road. Did not encounter anybody coming from opposite direction.

2  Thank LostAngeles

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I drove this spectacular roadway from Nat'l Bridges Monument. It is more dramatic if you go this way. GO Slow on the way down - I drove it in a 1964 Ford Thunderbird with no problem. The road was smooth and well maintained for a dirt road. When you get to the bottom you can then take a left onto the dirt road through the Valley of the Gods BUT YOU MUST have a modern car that has ground clearance as I didn't go because I was too low.

2  Thank T-birdRick
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I planned our route from Monument Valley to Hanksville, Utah using a road map which didn't really indicate how much this road was going to change, and so it was with some surprise that we noticed that the road ahead seemed to be reaching a dead end at an imposing vertical rock wall. Of course this turned out to be no dead end. With growing astonishment we realised that the road was going to continue up and that it was going to deteriorate into a single lane gravel surface with multiple switch backs on a very steep grade. With more than a little trepidation I ploughed on and we were gradually rewarded by some magnificent views of the plain below. We had fine weather but I couldn't help wondering how different the experience might have been had it been raining or worse, snowing. The silence at the top was mesmerising and the views sublime. I would encourage anyone with a suitable vehicle to go up (or down) that road someday, you won't regret it.

3  Thank Mike H
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Driving southerly along with no idea what lay in store for us, we started seeing warning signs advising certain vehicles to turn back, etc. Then the pavement ended. Then the bottom fell out of the world and we could see absolutely FOREVER. What a great view. Then we read the sign about dropping over a thousand feet vertically while only moving forward less than a quarter of a mile horizontally. So on we went. Single lane, gravel switchbacks with no guardrails, and STRAIGHT DOWN off the sides. Not for the faint of heart at all. Photos cannot illustrate how this felt. Don't hit the brakes, you'll slide in the gravel off the edge. Don't go too fast because there's a hairpin switchback in front of you. And don't have a motor home because it is a very narrow ONE LANE road to handle BOTH DIRECTIONS (yes, someone will have to back up if you meet oncoming vehicles) Still, I wouldn't miss it for the world. If you can, try to time it during a very-low traffic hour to avoid other vehicles. The view is: magnificent. The experience: unforgettable

2  Thank Allen U
Reviewed 12 July 2014

If I hadn't done the research I wouldn't have believed that a normal road, the US-261, suddenly becomes the Moki Dugway, a 3 mile unpaved road with many switchbacks and 10% grades! We started at the top and made our way down. The views from the top were spectacular, there is a pull out at the top so you can park and admire the view.

The road, even though unpaved, was not too bad and was wider than I expected it to be. We were going down but didn't meet too many cars coming up. Cars and motorbikes are ok on this road, but not really suitable for RVs.

2  Thank Tracy166