“So beautiful!!”

US$888.95*
Private Tour: Full-Day Victoria Highlights Tour With Lunch
Ranked #420 of 2,735 things to do in Washington
More attraction details
Owner description: Glaciers, crevasses and snowy pinnacles make this area a challenge for skiers.
Fountain Valley, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“So beautiful!!”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Highly recommend driving the 542, Mt Baker Hwy to the ski area and end of road. You have an amazing 360 degree view of Mount Baker area. There are restrooms there and you can hike (walk) around and get some great photos. Picture Lake on the way up is a great spot to get a picture of the water reflection of the mountain. Stunning!!

5 Thank sherijckh

• Korean first
ohio
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

The map of Mt Baker was excellent and made us enjoy our drive to the top - had fun following venues along the way (much better than Rainier map). Although I have limited stamina I was able to enjoy a manageable hike toward artist point. We thoroughly enjoyed a picnic along the way. Would have liked to have had hiking poles. We took breathtaking pictures. Be sure to stop at Austin Pass and hike as far as you can go - gorgeous reflection lake there, reminiscent of Austria. The fee system seemed messed up. We did the honorable thing and paid the $5.00 fee along the way at the fee box, although no one seemed to check the tag on our mirror, My husband said that it took him five minutes to stuff his envelope into the fully packed box. Is there anyone in charge of this? Does anyone care? What stops someone from pulling out the overflow? For me, the stop at the falls was eerie. We were there at 9:00 a.m. on a weekday and no one else in sight. My husband loved the solitude while I kept lookout. :)

1 Thank jillsbury
Harlingen, Texas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wow”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

The views from the top are stunning. The drive up is also very scenic. It was well worth the trip plenty of hiking trails. Make sure you bring a big enough SD card because you will need it.

2 Thank kaydog37
Bellevue, Washington
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Perfect (but long) day trip from Seattle”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We chose a lovely weekday in September to avoid the traffic. However, there was considerable roadwork being done on the Mt. Baker Scenic Byway and we had to wait 15 minutes at one point, having just missed the pilot car going down the mountain. I had been to Mt. Baker once before and had forgotten how lovely it is and how many options there are for hiking or walking near the top. You can stroll around for a few minutes, or hike for hours. Some trails are paved.

The view was stunning. A few steps from the Artist's Point parking lot, you can see more than 270 degrees around. We almost didn't see the pay station in the corner of the parking lot where you need to pay a $5.00 fee for the day.

We had to use the restrooms, and the facilities at the parking lot were really foul-smelling outhouses, almost out of toilet paper and completely out of hand sanitizer. Just after we used it, a park employee arrived to do some maintenance, but I doubt that would do much about the smell.

A short way down the mountain, we stopped at Picture Lake. Our plans for a leisurely stroll were cut short by some very aggressive insects. We ended up running back to our car with horseflies attacking mercilessly. (No one else there seemed bothered, so I'm chalking it up to some new shampoo my husband and I had both tried.)

We also stopped at about mile 46 to see the Nooksak Falls, just off the byway. I've never been so scared by a sign in my life. The sign there gives a warning about 7 different ways regarding getting too close to the edge and lists the names of the many people that have died there slipping off the rocks. Now there is a heavy-duty chain link fence that would require a lot of determination to cross, so no need to fear as long as you don't get any crazy ideas. It's well worth a brief side-trip. Lovely falls where 2 forks of the river meet and continue down a deep gorge.

We probably spent about 8 or so hours just driving, so next time we might try one of the Bed and Breakfasts we saw along the Mt. Baker Scenic Byway and take more time exploring/hiking around at the top, making it a two-day trip.

2 Thank Susan A
TORONTO
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Insane amounts of snow and very diverse terrain.”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

After 8 days touring b.c. with no powder days we hit Baker. I went 2 years back but coudn't select '09. At the time lift tickets were like $30 and the snow was insane. Lots of terrain options and even more back country if you are prepared (state troopers check your gear and avalanche training card as you leave resort). Tonnes of range from terrifying double blacks to easy blues but I couldn't really see the runs as everything was snowed over. Most runs were knee deep and in the trees was waste deep. Just be aware of tree wells and the risks. Probably my favorite resort other than RED Mountain. Sorry no pics because there was too much fresh powder to shred.

Visited November 2010