“Got the wrong sandwich.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Seating
Vienna, Virginia
“Got the wrong sandwich.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I'm not sure what happened, but I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich. The cashier thought I said chicken salad sandwich but I clarified and she made the correction on the ticket, but I ended up getting the chicken salad sandwich still. The sandwich was pretty decent and I have had their coffee before and it is good, but getting the wrong sandwich after clarifying which one I wanted (and paying the higher price) knocks two stars off what would probably have been a four-star rating.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“amazing place for tea, coffee, light food, and conversation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

I used to live around the corner for Sidamo's and my bf and I looked forward to spending part of each weekend enjoying tea, coffee, light fare, and the company of the owners. While their tea and coffee drinks are top notch, we also really enjoyed the salads, sandwiches, and assorted sweets. The owners and staff are really great people and we felt special when they took an interest in getting to know us a little better. It was neat to see how they knew so much about the folks who stopped in regularly - it is a great neighborhood place.

Having said that, this is also a great place to visit if you don't live in the neighborhood! They have a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony on Sunday afternoons that is worth a visit. I'm sorry that I don't live near Sidamo's anymore, but I feel like it's a homecoming when I'm able to make it back to the neighborhood.

I have never before experienced a place like this - no other like it in the DC area.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank xpuctr
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great cappuccino, so-so breakfast sandwiches”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Sunday afternoon at 2pm, and we walked into the Sidamo Coffee and Tea in Fulton, MD. We thought it had just opened a few months ago (opened in 2009). The place was deserted and the place looked like they had just moved in; like an ongoing garage sale. The pastry display was close to empty and the items in it looked pretty sad and stale. We weren't sure if we wanted to try their coffee, but I remember seeing the H Street location and thought to give it a try. Thank goodness they made us a great cappuccino. Definitely better than the watery Starbucks stuff you get. They know their foam! Beautiful. You can taste the care they put into making it. And I like that they serve it in glassware as the standard, unless you indicate otherwise. Also decided to try a lonely cinnamon scone (the only thing that looked fresh) and they were happy to warm it up for me. It was average, nothing spectacular. Hubby tried one of their Sausage, Egg, and Cheese on Croissant breakfast sandwich ($4.50), and it was ok also, nothing special. They served it with a wedge of cantaloupe.

Overall, would go back if we were in the area and needed a great espresso drink and if we wanted a quiet cafe instead of a bustling one. By the way, their lunch sandwiches are $7.50! Didn't try one yet but that's pretty steep. Oh, and the only two people there kept disappearing to the back and you had to wait quite a bit to get them back out.

• Visited July 2012
New York City, New York
“Best coffee in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Sidamo is the best coffee shop ever. I used to live nearby and always make time for a visit when I'm back in DC.

They make amazing espresso drinks. No one else does foam like Sidamo. Even a soy cappuccino (which is usually a little limp elsewhere) comes out frothy and delightful. They also have very good tea and sandwiches.

The large front window, high tin ceiling and rotating artwork contribute to a bright, cheery atmosphere. Space is tight but the quiet back patio is lovely when the weather is nice. They will never pressure you to hurry or leave.

The owner is the best, if you can catch him when he's in. He roasts the coffee with the machine in the front window and will gladly tell you all about Ethiopia, the coffee, the neighborhood, or anything else. I highly recommend the traditional coffee ceremony on Sunday afternoons at 2pm. Look for the Ethiopian coffeepot on H St NE and let it call you in!

• Visited April 2012