“Disappointed”

and up
Monuments of DC Segway Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A living memorial to the Holocaust, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum inspires citizens and leaders worldwide to confront hatred, prevent genocide, and promote human dignity. Tickets are only needed from March 1 to August 31 to visit the Museum's Permanent Exhibition, which tells the history of the Holocaust from 1933 to 1945. Exhibitions Include: Permanent Exhibition: The Holocaust Spanning three floors, the self-guided Permanent Exhibition presents a narrative history of the Holocaust and features historical artifacts, photographs, and film footage. Personal objects and the concluding eyewitness testimonies highlight the stories of individuals. Recommended for ages 11 or older. The Portal: A Real-Time Conversation with People Forced to Flee Persecution The Shared Studios Portal allows you to have a face-to-face conversation with someone in another part of the world-as if you are standing in the same room. Through this installation, visitors will be able to converse in real time with displaced persons or refugees in Iraq, Jordan, and Germany Remember the Children: Daniel's Story Representing the experiences of many Jewish children during the Nazi era, "Daniel" narrates through his diary the history of the Holocaust in ways that children can understand. Recreated environments present life in a middle-class German home, in a Jewish ghetto in occupied Poland, and finally at the Auschwitz concentration camp. The exhibition is explicit without being graphic. Recommended for ages 8 or older. Some Were Neighbors: Collaboration & Complicity in the Holocaust Some Were Neighbors: Collaboration & Complicity in the Holocaust addresses one of the central questions about the Holocaust: How was it possible? The central role of Hitler and other Nazi Party leaders is indisputable. Less well understood is these perpetrators' dependence on countless others for the execution of Nazi racial policies. Within Nazi Germany and across German-dominated Europe, circles of collaboration and complicity rippled throughout governments and societies wherever victims of persecution and mass murder lived.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We arrived just after lunch and were told there were no available tickets for the rest of the day. My daughter was really disappointed. It was quite a long trek from the other museums and there was no indication of the problem outside the building, only told after we had gone through the rigorous security checks.

1  Thank Karen S
Write a ReviewReviews (9,501)
All reviews
in 365 reviews
"auschwitz"
in 93 reviews

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have been visiting the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum since it opened. And I have visited Holocaust-related museums and memorials all over the world, including in Berlin and Israel. The US Museum still sets the standard for me, and it keeps getting better. Its permanent exhibit is outstanding, and the temporary exhibits add variety and quality to the permanent exhibit. What is especially outstanding is its focus and organization. The overall focus is to learn lessons of democracy from the Holocaust. The museum is organized in a way that a brief visit can be meaningful, and that people of all ages, and of all religious and ethnic origins can learn and grow from it.
I suggest that each visitor pre-determine a length of time for the visit. Depending on the individual, I believe that 3-4 hours should be the maximum, although no one will be able to see it all, or experience it all in that time. The problem is how to absorb both the information and the message, without becoming overwhelming by the barbarity.
I do not recommend the museum for anyone under ten years of age, and then only with an adult parent or teacher, who can discuss aspects of the museum and its message with the child.
The greatness of the museum is that it CAN become a source of inspiration about the potential of human beings to overcome human prejudice and persecution and inhumanity.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I went here several years ago and enjoyed this memorial museum very much. We were excited to take our teens through this when we visited this time. We were really disappointed this time. There was way too many people visiting to really see all the artifacts and written exhibits. People jostling in front of you to read and see. People standing behind you doing the same. Now I don't mind crowds but the amount of people in the permanent exhibit area was too many to really reflect on the exhibits. It was a shame because there was never a point where crowds seemed to disapate, they just kept stepping off the elevator. The one tip I can share is that if you or a member of your family can prove you are a veteran or active military you can get VIP tickets to the permanent exhibit with no time stamp. My husband used his VFW card in order to prove veteran status. I didn't know about this beforehand, but as I was waiting in line I overheard an employee asking if anyone was a veteran or active military. This worked out great for us.

1  Thank Kim K
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Powerful! What a memorial. Designed in a way that you can skip some of the more graphic video footage. I would not being a small child into the main area. (They have designed a great kid's section that is more gentle on the subject matter.) You start at the top with pre-war Germany and make your way down to the concentration camps, then post war. I found the interviews of the survivors the most touching. I learned a lot and I thought I had studied this subject. It isn't all horror and sadness. The stories of resistance, and of those that tried to help were very moving. I will never forget the Holocaust. I was scared to visit because I knew it would be sad but I am so glad I went. The need to remember is worth a little uncomfortable moments. Plan about three hours or more. My one complaint, it was too crowded and too hard to see everything. The print on many of the displays was too hard too read. At the start, I felt pushed along by the crowd.