“Interactive fun” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour of Washington DC: Monuments, Landmarks and Memorials
Ranked #153 of 413 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: An interactive educational experience which includes a simulation of orbital flight and geography questions.
Upper Largo, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Interactive fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

I spent a couple of hours here with my 3 children (12 & 10x2) and they loved the 1001 inventions especially, so much so that after we'd done the Birds of Paradise and the photo exhibits they wanted to go back to try more of the interactive activities rather than try the Natural History Museum.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Peter R

Cleveland
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 140 helpful votes
“Interesting for all ages”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

Our children ages 5 -14 went to Explorers Hall reluctantly fearful of a school field trip like experience. They readily admitted that they really enjoyed both the 1001 Inventions Exhibit and the Titanic.

We started with 1001 Inventions. It started with a video that intrigued my kids and prepared them for what they would see in the exhibit. The exhibit was relatively small. We spent an hour and that enabled us to read about 80% of the exhibits and walk through all of it. The exhibit focused on muslim inventions during the "Dark Ages" and how they contributed to modern medicine, science etc... It was fascinating and enlightening.

Then we moved into the Titanic exhibit. Though the exhibit didn't have the a large selection of artifacts from the Titanic it did have lots of interactive models and demonstrations of what happened to the ship. The videos of how the Titanic was found and also how it probably broke apart were most fascinating. There is also a projection of the ship under the water on the floor as it appears today. When you walk over it, the pictures changes to how the ship looked originally...pretty neat and greatly entertained my 5 year old. We spent about an hour in this exhibit.

The museum has an extensive gift shop with many of the items that you find in the National Geographic mail order catalog.

Well worth the time and my reluctant kids thought that it was "cool"

Visited September 2012
4 Thank massam3
Gaithersburg, Maryland
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Not so titanic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

We went to see the Titanic Exhibit and also went into the samauri exhibit (the ticket allowed both). Keep in mind that the exhibit halls house rotating exhibits and change often. The Titanic exhibit was interesting - I particularly liked the Robert Ballard video clip that talked about why he got into oceanography and how he found the titanic. Did you know his real mission on behalf of the navy was to find two sunken cold war subs? The Titanic operation was a cover story to fool the russians - but it was what he was really most interested in. The artifacts were props from the titanic movie. I have seen a better Titanic exhibit when actual artifacts were on display in Boston many years ago now, but this was a perfect size to introduce the topic to my 9 year old daughter. I understand the exhibit is extended until Sept 2012.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank historybluff
London, Canada
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Not as informative as expected. Saw the Titanic and Samurai exhibit. $8.00/person.Large cats exhibit as well.

Visited April 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
192 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Great special exhibits always at NatGeo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I recently went to another special exhibit: The Anglo Saxon Hoard, and was totally delighted with the amount of explanation and items to see. They also had a rendition of an Anglo Saxon village which helped support the overall exhibit. This had a docent who was willing to discuss the items. She also invited us to another event by the Society for Creative Anachronism which featured many of the crafts and skills and items that Anglo Saxons would have used. Very very interesting to learn about 7th century "English" life. I've also visited other special exhibits here, such as on Utzi, the mummified man and on a mummified South American sacrificial "victim" (whose name escapes me). In both these instances, lots of good detail and contextual explanation. Kudos to NatGeo for teaching me new things!