“Great Collection of American History”

National Museum of American History
Book In Advance
US$115.00*
Private Guided Tour of the National Museum of American History
US$155.00*
and up
Small Group Smithsonian Combo Tour: Museum of American History and Air and...
US$185.00*
and up
Private Smithsonian Combo Tour: Museum of American History Plus Air and Space...
Ranked #33 of 447 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of the Smithsonian museums along the Mall, this one has more than 3 million artifacts in its collection—from gowns to locomotives—that reflect and preserve a record of America’s past.
Charlotte
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great Collection of American History”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We took a 4 day vacation to DC. We walked most of the trip, family bonding and exercise. This was the best way to see DC.

It was fun to walk the kids around the history of America, all in one place. It was a great memory lane walk for the wife and I. We even learned few new things together.

• Finnish first
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“A must see”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was the best museum on the National Mall in my opinion. It is free which is a huge benefit. There are so many things to see that everyone will find something that interests them. There is American Stories where I got to see Pele's soccer jersey. There is a section that goes through the wars which my husband loved. I also liked seeing the dresses all the First Lady's were at the inauguration balls. There is also a section on the history of transportation and the history of food. Also appreciated is that there are multiple bathrooms. Like most places in D.C. you have to go through security.

Visited August 2014
Columbus, Ohio
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Fascinating!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I visited DC for a few days during an 8th grade class trip a couple of years ago. I was in DC for such a short amount of time, and had such a jam-packed schedule, I hardly remember any of the museums we visited...but I do remember the American History Smithsonian!

I remember this museum in particular because it is such a well organized place! Most 8th graders think museums are "boring", and I remember thinking that about a few places in DC myself, but I didn't think that way about this one; this museum is truly exceptional!

Some of my favorite exhibits included: models of dresses worn by several first ladies, props from famous films, facts about many famous American figures and presidents, and so much more!

The next time I go to DC, I will definitely go back to this wonderful museum!

Visited October 2013
Woodbridge, New Jersey
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Best museum on the Mall”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Love this museum!! Very good for families. Exhibits include the First Ladies evening gowns, Dorothy's Ruby Slippers, Archie Bunker's chair, the original American flag that inspired our National Anthem, plus so much more. My favorite exhibit was the war exhibit which showcased a history from the Revolutionary War to World War II. The museum is easy to navigate and interesting for the whole family. Just get there early because the crowds can be annoying and pushy.

Visited August 2014
Cashmere
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“We wish we had more time!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Everyone raves about the Natural History museum, but we thought the American History museum was a lot better. We spent too much time in the Civil War era and so had to go through the rest of the museum a little faster than we wanted. The kids were fascinated by all the older gadgets of the past and I loved viewing items from my childhood.

Visited July 2014