“Not My Thing But Not Their Fault”

Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
2-Day Grand Tour of Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Established in 1910 and located on the National Mall, this prestigious museum, part of the Smithsonian Institution, holds the world's most extensive collection of natural history specimens and human artifacts including the remains of dinosaurs and tools used by early man.
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I don't find Natural History very interesting, sorry, so in terms of the 'content' of the museum, you may want to look elsewhere. I can say, however, that I easily spent several hours here as their exhibits are so extensive it takes that long, even if you're not reading every plaque or listening to an audioguide.

I particularly enjoyed the exhibit on the early settlements in Virginia and the prize-winning nature photographs.

Write a ReviewReviews (10,534)
All reviews
in 106 reviews
"mammals"
in 468 reviews

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My family loved this museum. It was the main thing we wanted to visit while in DC and we were not disappointed. It had a little bit of everything. I also love the fact that it was free admission. We spent 2 hours there and I don't think we saw everything. My kids really liked the exhibit about ancient sea life as well as the different animal bones. When we went, the museum was packed, so be prepared for major crowds - to the point where it was hard to push a stroller through sometimes. Expect to spend at least 2 hours exploring. Depending on how crowded it is, it might take a lot longer just to make it through the crowds. I also noticed that there weren't too many places to sit down while in the museum. Where they did have benches, there weren't a lot of them and they filled up very quickly. The museum shop, like others I've been to was overpriced, but I expected that. There were a decent amount of items under $10, though. Other than that, we had a great time. I would definitely recommend this museum, especially for kids.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Great Museum. Great collection. Excellent exhibits on evolution and human brain. A collection of animals like no other with the possible exception of the Harvard Museum of Natural History, but in a much nicer building. Overall one of the World's best.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Probably my favorite of the Smithsonians. Lots to see. The animals, fossils and gemstone exhibits were my favorite.