“Hip spot for sushi and interesting Asian fusion cuisine”
Review of SEI Restaurant

SEI Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
SEI Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #131 of 3,383 Restaurants in Washington DC
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 7th & E
Transit: Navy Archives Green Line
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We enjoyed our sushi rolls. The poke tuna was unusual and delicious. My wife enjoyed her nigiri sushi. The fish was super fresh, clean and tasty. I had issues with the hand rolls (looks like sushi in a ice cream cone). I could not cut through the seaweed cone with my teeth so it was impossible to take small bites. The flavors were nice though. The staff was pleasant and we had a nice bottle of white wine for under $50.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Recommended by our concierge at the Sofitel. This was quite like Oya. A funky decor and excellent service.
The rib tacos and fish and chip sushi were incredible. The crispy duck was good but the steak fairly bland. The orange miso bread pudding was exceptional.
We were there in Restaurant Week and so the price was great.
Recommended.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

SEI was by far one of the best sushi places I have EVER been to. I completely fell in LOVE with the décor when I passed this restaurant. My parents and I were on vaca in DC and we went here for our last night together. It was seriously SO AMAZING. The décor is very modern, clean and chic. I loved the comfortable white leather chairs with the corset laces on the back. So trendy. The drinks were great too: my dad got green tea, I got the house white wine (Sauvignon Blanc) and my mom got the Asian pear sangria - all I recommend. As the appetizer we got the steamed edamame which I should have requested light sea salt because there was way too much on it, but no big deal, we just scooped it off. For meals my dad got the Kobe sliders (wonderful) and a create-your-own sushi roll. My mom got the edamame and quinoa salad (one of the best things I have ever had) and a create-your-own sushi roll. I got the seaweed salad (the best seaweed salad I had ever had) and the vegetable roll. I would definitely recommend doing the create your own roll - and to get the black rice with your sushi. Not a lot of places have black rice, it is usually brown or white – so I thought that was definitely unique. The portions here were also large. Even though the menu selections were pricier than most places, I think you are paying for the amazing overall experience. The restaurant is very conveniently located from the heart of DC. The service also made the experience top notch. Our waters were continuously filled, along with plates cleared quickly. The waiter was also very pleasant and inviting. I would 100% recommend this restaurant for families to romantic occasions.

1  Thank Lindsay H
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were a little concerned about trying this restaurants after looking at the online menu, as it seemed high priced for "small plates." However, none of the plates were all that small, and all of them were excellent. I had the crispy duck leg, which had a very crisp skin and well cooked duck, and a large portion of cabosha squash. My table mates had the duck roll, the shrimp, the sea bass, and the kale salad, and everyone was happy with their dishes. We shared a ginger flan, which was rather small for the price. Our waiter was lovely and attentive, and the restaurant is beautiful. We will definitely return soon to try some of the other dishes.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Superb Asian food some of the best I have tasted. The atmosphere and the attention of the staff are excellent and the food..wow the food. We had the fois gras suchi which was amazing and the desert...Orange Miso Bread pudding was to die for.....Can't wait to go back there one day