“Mt Vernon on the 4th”

US$48.00*
Mount Vernon Bike Trail: Independent Tour with Optional Potomac River Cruise
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bike tours & rentals and SEGWAY tours! We offer the best value for sightseeing. Take a professionally led bicycle tour and let our fun and knowledgeable tour guides share historical and unique facts about the monuments and memorials on the National Mall OR rent a bike and explore the Capital City on your own-we have options to fit the whole the whole family. Free with every rental: helmet, lock, and map. Bike and Roll offers day and evening bike and Segway tours from mid March-mid December. Don't take our word for it - check out what travelers are saying about us in our reviews!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This review was for the Mt Vernon bike ride round trip. This is an all-day bike rental with tickets to get into Mt. Vernon.

The ride starts out at old town Alexandria by the Torpedo Factory. There is about a half mile traveling the streets of Alexandria, then onto a dedicated paved bike trail for the remainder of the 9 miles to Mt. Vernon. The trail parallels the GW parkway, and has some nice views of the Potomac River along the way. The route is not steep but has some up and down over hills, which is something I wouldn't have expected along a flat stretch of the river. The person who set us up with the bikes gave us clear directions, with pictures, on how to get to the bike trail.

We went to Mt Vernon on July 4th, 2014. It was an amazing day, clear, cool and windy due to the aftermath of a hurricane which passed by off the coast of the Atlantic. Despite the crowds, Mt Vernon was a good place to visit on the 4th. They had a large band, daytime fireworks, birthday cake, and several demonstrations of life back in the 18th century. The bike trail itself was not crowded.

The bikes themselves were decent ones and in good condition. These were hybrid bikes with a front suspension. Tires were inflated properly, gears changed correctly, and the seats were comfortable.

My only complaint was with the lack of amenities in Alexandria at 10 in the morning. There was no place nearby to go to the bathroom (there was a Starbucks open a couple blocks away), and no place to fill up our water bottles. We found out later that there are public bathrooms and a water fountain about 3/4 of a mile down the bike trail.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have now used this company 4 times for bike tours in Washington DC when I am a teacher touring with a small group of teenage students. The staff are highly professional, the bikes are well maintained and easy to use. The pace of the tour makes it suitable for most people with average fitness and it is a wonderful way to see DC. I have always done the night tours as it is cooler and the sights are great in the twilight and early evening. I would highly recommend this company.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My husband, 16 year old son, and I did the evening Segway tour with Allison last Saturday night, and enjoyed every moment of it. Allison was excellent as both a tour guide and Segway instructor. I was a little nervous about crossing busy streets and paths, but she had me riding like a pro in no time. I highly recommend Bike and Roll's Segway tour as a great way to cover several miles of sites especially on a hot summer day.

1  Thank longtotravel0301
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband & I over the weekend went on the Bike and Boat to Mt. Vernon. While my husband is a avid biker, I am more of a beginner. The trip is not a tour, which I am very grateful that it wasn't, because I would never have been able to keep up to experienced bikers. What I missed somewhere is the amount of hills that were part of the ride to Mt. Vernon. While, I was able to get make it alllllll the way to Mt. Vernon, mostly by pushing the bike up the hills the last couple of miles, it was more than I expected. For those of you in shape and like to bike ride, like my husband, go for it. The trail was beautiful along the Potomac and with enough challenge to keep it interesting. For those of you like me, just getting started in biking, be warned. I'm not saying not to do it, because I would do it again...just to proof I can...just go in knowing. This excursion including the cost of admission to Mt. Vernon and a boat ride back to Alexandria, for which I was very happy. All in all it was a good day event.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

How do you persuade the kids to see 6 monuments on a hot summer's day ? Join the bike n roll tour! Fantastic way to see the monuments with kids. We saw the Lincoln, Washington , Thomas Jefferson, Vietnam and World War II and FDR memorials. We enjoyed riding the bike , if you have young kids ( under 4'2") trailer bike is available. Best to book ahead.