“Impressive” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Washington DC Monuments Bike Tour
Ranked #18 of 418 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: The Washington Monument elevator is closed until spring 2019.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
174 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Impressive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Interesting to see this icon of the Capitol. Great photos and nice to be able to sit and view the monument I did not inside but was very impressed by the outside.

• Arabic first
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“what a sight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were sad that we could not go into the monument since we didn't know about getting tickets early. While we were sitting out front just taking in the view and resting from our walk from the Lincoln Memorial, one of the rangers was very very rude forcing us to move from a PUBLIC bench so that tour ticket holders could sit there. I was there first. Other than that, it was cool to walk in the shadow of the monument.

1 Thank Bonniejean H
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Washington Monument DC”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We lined up with the masses before 8:30am to get tickets. We finally got to the front of the line at 9:45am and were able to get tickets for 2:30pm. We got there at 2:05pm and the 2:00pm tours were well behind. At 3pm, we finally got called up. If you are going to run the tour via tickets, at least allocate an appropriate number of tickets so people don't have to wait (Some of the people for the tours were waiting over an hour). We took the elevator to the top of the Monument.

As a person in a wheelchair, this is where things take a bad turn. I was handed a periscope by one of the Rangers and I couldn't make out what he said. As I went up to the viewing area, I soon saw why I needed it. All of the viewpoints are too high for a person in a wheelchair. Therefore, after wasting half the day waiting around I was able to look through a 1" x 1" periscope. It is hard to believe that after being closed for so long that they couldn't figure out a fix for this. It is so poorly thought out. They have steps on half of the viewpoints for children to see, but nothing for the disabled. It was extremely disappointing.

Visited July 2014
5 Thank Matt K
Stratford, Connecticut
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Impressive, but a far walk from the Capitol”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Interesting to see, especially up close, but it was quite a far walk from the Capitol with a child. Much bigger in person that what I expected.

1 Thank SLombard7
Frederick, Maryland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“The classic icon has reopened for business!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is must see monument! It was an awesome experience to go inside and up to the top.

Since damage from Virginia Earthquake and Hurricane Irene in August 2011, extensive stabilization and renovation was finally completed and the monument reopened in May of 2014.

As others have stated, I can't stress enough the idea of getting your tickets online ahead of time. Why someone would wait hours in a line for a chance at seeing the monument hours later escapes me. I found the online process very easy, however, somehow we either missed our tickets when they arrived in the mail or they never sent them. They quickly corrected the problem when I called a few days prior and placed them in Will Call (which happens to be in the gift shop).

The other huge piece of advice is get the 9 AM time. The windows at the top were actually uncrowded for the first 10-15 minutes we were up there. As time went on, I could see how the small spaces at the top were getting smaller and smaller as people poured in. We felt satisfied with our experience but could see how the growing crowds would make it harder to enjoy.

The views are one-of-a-kind and awesome. The whole city including National Airport and even the National Cathedral are visible. Even the elevator rides were memorable.

My only complaint would be there is nothing in any of the informational displays about the effect the earthquake and hurricane had on the structure and the steps that were undertaken to stabilize it. The focus of them seemed to be on the original history of its planning, construction, and controversy surrounding it.

Be sure to go and go early!