“For Younger Crowd”

Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
San Juan
“For Younger Crowd”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Looking for a sports bar to watch the football play-offs I was sent to this place. It is loud with pretty uncomfortable stools and looks sort of run down. Nothing wrong with any of that for a young crowd and I would have loved the place some years back. But now older, I did not particularly like it and maybe felt out of place. So, I had a beer and decided to move on to Clyde's, another sports bar which was recommended. I did not regret it. More on Clyde's in another review.
Anyhow, I would say that if you are in your 50s, this is not the place but if you are younger, you will probably have a good time. I have to say that the service was good and very courteous at the bar where I sat. Again, nothing wrong with the place for the right crowd.

• Visited January 2014

Reston, Virginia
“Chicken Tenders”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Chicken tenders are a standout on the pub food menu. Bloody Mary's at the bar are tall glasses at the table rocks glasses. Either way ask for the rim with Old Bay.

“For a sports bar, it's very good. Exceeds expectations.”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Visited the Green Turtle with two coworkers while in town for business; we came for Monday night football, and ended up staying the entire game. Bottom line, if you are expecting a sports bar, the venue will likely exceed your expectations (or at least meet them). There are a lot of reviews claiming that there is better food in DC; well, of course there is - DC has thousands of specialty restaurants in a variety of price points. The Green Turtle is not a specialty restaurant; it is merely a sports bar, but a good one as I suggest.

So, what makes a good sports bar. (1) Attentive and courteous wait staff; had no problem splitting up the checks and/or running accurate tabs for the duration of our time there. (2) Good access to TV screens; there are a lot of large flat LCDs on the walls, but the really cool thing is that there are also smaller LCDs in each of the individual booths. (3) A good craft beer selection; there were over a dozen drafts to choose from in a variety of preferences and styles. (4) Well executed pub fare; as far as american pub fare goes, the food was both quality and reasonably priced. There are even a few "healthier" choices if you don't feel like burgers or fried food; we all agreed that we could easily eat there again. There really is not much not to like about the Green Turtle.

• Visited November 2013
“Great Time! ”
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

After eating (expensive) small plates and (expensive) drinks at a restaurant around the corner my cousin mentioned there was a Green Turtle near by...I was excited to check this bar out after learning the history and how it got started! It was a hockey game night so it was packed with local fans however we wanted to watch our local college play and the waitress gladly got us a booth so we could have our own table! There are soooooo many TVs which really makes this bar awesome! Plus there menu looks great with various bar foods! I had already eaten so I enjoyed their caramel bacon popcorn and my boyfriend ate their cowboy burger! Service was good-- prices reasonable--atmosphere great!

Cedar Springs, Michigan
“Unfortunately, our waitress spoiled our visit.”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We were seated and waited 15 minutes before our waitress arrived to take our drink order, then waited another 15 minutes until she brought our waters. She was going to walk away without taking our order and seeing how the timing had been so far we asked to order right away. Almost 30 minutes later a separate server brought our food and offered to refill our waters. We noticed a gentleman hovering near our table, watching one of the televisions directly behind us. He was increasingly loud and cursing at the tv. Staff walked by him without asking him to take a seat (we weren't in the bar area). He would leave and come back, each time more aggravated by the game and yelling over my husband's head. There was only one other table with guests in our area and they were literally deaf, so we were the only ones who noticed the issue... After our plates were empty we waited even longer - watching our waitress walk by several times without acknowledging us - and had to flag down the server who brought us food to ask her to send our waitress to us with our bill. That server actually offered to get our bill for us, cleared our plates, and was really helpful. We tipped Her and no tip for the waitress we only saw twice. The unfortunate part is that we left a bag of souvenirs (hats) on the back of one of our chairs and when we realized it an hour later I called to check and see if they had been turned in but of course they had not. I left my name and phone number for a response in case they were returned, but never got a call... This experience left a bad taste in our mouths for the Green Turtle chain and we refused to visit another for the duration of our visit. I couldn't even tell you if the food was good - we were so distracted by the bad service.

• Visited September 2013