“Good casual lunch spot”

Ranked #634 of 3,488 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I regularly eat at the Greene Turtle for lunch. This is a casual eatery and bar with sandwiches, salads and a few full meals. Lots of drinks and appetizers. Since it is located right next to the Verizon Center, it gets crowded right before and after events there. Most of the time, lunch service is ok. But if they have a big group, service will be slow. Even though they advertise a fast weekday lunch menu, if they have a big group in there, they won't come through. Food is your standard fare similar to an Applebee's or Chili's. They have a small outdoor seating area.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Looking for a sports bar to watch the football play-offs I was sent to this place. It is loud with pretty uncomfortable stools and looks sort of run down. Nothing wrong with any of that for a young crowd and I would have loved the place some years back. But now older, I did not particularly like it and maybe felt out of place. So, I had a beer and decided to move on to Clyde's, another sports bar which was recommended. I did not regret it. More on Clyde's in another review.
Anyhow, I would say that if you are in your 50s, this is not the place but if you are younger, you will probably have a good time. I have to say that the service was good and very courteous at the bar where I sat. Again, nothing wrong with the place for the right crowd.

Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Chicken tenders are a standout on the pub food menu. Bloody Mary's at the bar are tall glasses at the table rocks glasses. Either way ask for the rim with Old Bay.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Visited the Green Turtle with two coworkers while in town for business; we came for Monday night football, and ended up staying the entire game. Bottom line, if you are expecting a sports bar, the venue will likely exceed your expectations (or at least meet them). There are a lot of reviews claiming that there is better food in DC; well, of course there is - DC has thousands of specialty restaurants in a variety of price points. The Green Turtle is not a specialty restaurant; it is merely a sports bar, but a good one as I suggest.

So, what makes a good sports bar. (1) Attentive and courteous wait staff; had no problem splitting up the checks and/or running accurate tabs for the duration of our time there. (2) Good access to TV screens; there are a lot of large flat LCDs on the walls, but the really cool thing is that there are also smaller LCDs in each of the individual booths. (3) A good craft beer selection; there were over a dozen drafts to choose from in a variety of preferences and styles. (4) Well executed pub fare; as far as american pub fare goes, the food was both quality and reasonably priced. There are even a few "healthier" choices if you don't feel like burgers or fried food; we all agreed that we could easily eat there again. There really is not much not to like about the Green Turtle.

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

After eating (expensive) small plates and (expensive) drinks at a restaurant around the corner my cousin mentioned there was a Green Turtle near by...I was excited to check this bar out after learning the history and how it got started! It was a hockey game night so it was packed with local fans however we wanted to watch our local college play and the waitress gladly got us a booth so we could have our own table! There are soooooo many TVs which really makes this bar awesome! Plus there menu looks great with various bar foods! I had already eaten so I enjoyed their caramel bacon popcorn and my boyfriend ate their cowboy burger! Service was good-- prices reasonable--atmosphere great!