“Great Museum”

National Portrait Gallery
Book In Advance
US$73.75*
and up
Washington DC Super Saver: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley and Monuments by Moonlight...
US$60.00*
DC Tour with Wine on a Rickshaw
US$108.99*
Washington DC Wine-Tasting Tour by Pedicab
Ranked #17 of 450 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Visitors can view the portraits of all the U.S. presidents.
Reviewed 6 July 2012

If you are staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Washington Convention Center, this is your museum. It is basically just across the street. You could dart in and out several times during the course of your trip to DC.

There are newer reviews for National Portrait Gallery

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Wonderful to view the amazing and breathtaking artwork.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Stopped by this museum on a recent trip to DC with my husband and 6-year-old. I really liked the variety of art in this museum. The presidential portraits were great and the more contemporary pieces were fun too. Also liked all the portraits – the range from LL Cool J to Monroe by Warhol, the images spanned the generations. We also checked out the travelling exhibit – the Art of the Video Game, which was pretty fun.

This museum is definitely worth a stop.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

I was looking for an indoor activity for a hot day in DC. The National Portrait Gallery is one of the Smithsonian museums, and it is one of the few I have not visited on my trips to DC because it is not located near the other Smithsonian museums. The building housing the portraits is beautiful as is the atrium inside. I chose to take a free tour of the National Portrait Gallery, and our guide was very helpful. In my opinion, the best gallery was the presidential portraits. Our guide was very knowledgeable about those presidents who may have been less well-known. I also enjoyed the Bravo and Champions exhibits on the Mezzanine level. There is a history of video games that may appeal to younger visitors, but I did not go into that area.

Another favorite room was the One Life: Amelia Earhart exhibit. This area changes regularly...Ronald Reagan was the previous famous person highlighted. I also enjoyed the folk art exhibit, The Struggle for Justice exhibit, and the American Origins exhibit.

When visiting the museum, you can go at your own pace, read the plaques, sit and rest while looking at the portraits, and eat at the cafe. It's a very relaxing place to go...take your time and understand that you probably will not see everything. I even left for lunch and came back afterwards to spend more time.

This is probably not the museum for children because they may become bored, but I thought it was an excellent way to spend a hot day. I will definitely go back to this museum. Also, there is no admission fee and it's a short walk from the Gallery Place-Chinatown metro.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Love the portrait Gallery. There is a great balance between the artist and the subject. In fact, the scale might tip a little towards paying more attention to the subject. We visited the presidential portrait exhibit as well as the War of 1812 exhibit this visit, and loved both. A nice touch was video of the presidents of the last half of the 20th century. The War of 1812 was thorough, and gave us a more thorough understanding of the causes and the effects of the war.