“Great Place!”

Smithsonian American Art Small Group Adventure
Ranked #16 of 493 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Visitors can view the portraits of all the U.S. presidents.
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We visited twice because there was so much to see and enjoy at this museum. The kids will love it and adults will smile and re-read the details behind the photos. It was interesting to see portraits that look like they were actually camera-taken pictures. Interactive stations available and the history and evolution of video games is just amazing. Go see.

1  Thank momofson
Write a ReviewReviews (3,064)
All reviews
"on display"
in 69 reviews
"my favorite"

Reviewed 6 July 2012

If you are staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Washington Convention Center, this is your museum. It is basically just across the street. You could dart in and out several times during the course of your trip to DC.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Wonderful to view the amazing and breathtaking artwork.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Stopped by this museum on a recent trip to DC with my husband and 6-year-old. I really liked the variety of art in this museum. The presidential portraits were great and the more contemporary pieces were fun too. Also liked all the portraits – the range from LL Cool J to Monroe by Warhol, the images spanned the generations. We also checked out the travelling exhibit – the Art of the Video Game, which was pretty fun.

This museum is definitely worth a stop.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I was looking for an indoor activity for a hot day in DC. The National Portrait Gallery is one of the Smithsonian museums, and it is one of the few I have not visited on my trips to DC because it is not located near the other Smithsonian museums. The building housing the portraits is beautiful as is the atrium inside. I chose to take a free tour of the National Portrait Gallery, and our guide was very helpful. In my opinion, the best gallery was the presidential portraits. Our guide was very knowledgeable about those presidents who may have been less well-known. I also enjoyed the Bravo and Champions exhibits on the Mezzanine level. There is a history of video games that may appeal to younger visitors, but I did not go into that area.

Another favorite room was the One Life: Amelia Earhart exhibit. This area changes regularly...Ronald Reagan was the previous famous person highlighted. I also enjoyed the folk art exhibit, The Struggle for Justice exhibit, and the American Origins exhibit.

When visiting the museum, you can go at your own pace, read the plaques, sit and rest while looking at the portraits, and eat at the cafe. It's a very relaxing place to go...take your time and understand that you probably will not see everything. I even left for lunch and came back afterwards to spend more time.

This is probably not the museum for children because they may become bored, but I thought it was an excellent way to spend a hot day. I will definitely go back to this museum. Also, there is no admission fee and it's a short walk from the Gallery Place-Chinatown metro.