“Fascinating”

National Portrait Gallery
Book In Advance
US$73.75*
and up
Washington DC Super Saver: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley and Monuments by Moonlight...
US$24.00*
Smithsonian American Art Small Group Adventure
US$60.00*
DC Tour with Wine on a Rickshaw
Ranked #19 of 460 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Visitors can view the portraits of all the U.S. presidents.
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We only saw part of what this museum had to offer - the history of America through the President's portraits. Would definitely return to see some more of the museum. It boasts an atrium with a cafeteria where you can have lunch under a glass ceiling. Very charming.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,621)

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Terrific exhibit on "cool" - Fascinating to see who was selected and who didn't make the list. This is also my favorite museum gift shop. The atrium is a great spot for coffee or a cold drink. AND, you can never go wrong with the presidential portraits.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Portraits like you've never seen before. Not just old historical figures, but pop stars and all between in dazzling styles.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I never thought much about going to this museum prior to this most recent trip...and am sure glad I did!

As much as I love history and its figures - I should've known better. The National Portrait Gallery houses the only complete presidential portraits besides the White House. It also has some of the most significant paintings/photographs of our history such as scenes from the Civil War, portraits of the Lincolns, Sacajawea...

I thought the smaller scale version of The Apotheosis of Washington was very cool to see - as one cannot really see it up close in The Capitol's Rotunda; I've always liked this painting.

Another personal favorite that I found are the portraits of the American authors - Nathaniel Hawthorne, Edgar Allan Poe, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Walt Whitman...I've forgotten how these guys looked :)

The National Portrait Gallery is a great place to visit - I actually wished that I had more time!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The National Portrait gallery is part of the Smithsonian Museum of American Art, but separate in the sense of exhibits. Make sure to do a tour, the times for which are clearly noted on the web site and as you enter. It is free! The portrait gallery is fantastic, especially the Presidential section, but also the 100 coolest people exhibit, and many other areas as well. In our many trips to Washington, we had never done this before and I can't imagine why we had missed this in the past!
Make sure to see this attraction when you visit DC......well worth anyone's time.