“It Took My Breath Away” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Half-day Washington DC Sightseeing Tour by Coach
More attraction details
Fee: No
Owner description: This memorial to Korean War veterans consists of the Pool of Remembrance and the triangular Field of Service depicting 19 soldiers on the field of combat.
Cincinnati
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“It Took My Breath Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

This was an example of the many memorials in Washington that are extremely emotional due to their simplicity and spot on artistic interpretation of the events and people who were being memorialized. When I walked up to it, it took my breath away. I felt as if I was on the battlefield with the men and women who fought there. Don't miss this one.

1 Thank TriStateGirl

• Turkish first
Redding, California
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“My favorite memorial in D.C.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We first stumbled onto this site during a Christmas vacation. It was late evening and there was snow on the ground. One of the first things I saw was one of the figures looking over his shoulder at me. It was so life-like that I literally stopped in my tracks. With the lighting and the snow, I almost felt as though I was looking at a ghost. This is one of the most unique memorials that I have ever seen. Don't miss it when you are in town!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Pat w
gottaluvflying
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 310 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit....watch the eyes.....unbelievable !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We both (my husband & myself) found this to be unbelievably realistic...it depicts a platoon of soldiers walking through a paddy field & the statues are so well done that they have unbelievably managed to effectively capture the tension, high alert & also the exhaustion those poor men must have felt. The eyes are unbelievably realistic, in terms of conveying all of the above emotions....particularly if you see this at night with the low lighting. Unbelievably poignant & extremely effective. Well worth a visit.

Visited December 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Unusual moving memorial”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Visited this memorial on Veteran's Day weekend. The sculpture of the soldiers is beautiful and haunting, as well as the faces of war that look out of the shiny granite wall. "Freedom is not free" is the message to visitors. Worth visiting, near the Lincoln Memorial and Vietnam Memorial.

Columbus, Ohio
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Korean War Memorial...........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We went on a nighttime guided tour of the monuments so had a good description of the Korean Memorial, what it symbolized, the artist's interpretation, the plight of the soldiers, etc. That made it more meaningful to us.