“Must see! Friday sunset parade at the Barracks”

U.S. Marines Sunset Parade
Book In Advance
More Info
US$240.00*
and up
Private Customized Tour of Washington DC with US...
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was the highlight of our 5-day trip, a definite 'must see' for anyone visiting Washington DC. The fact that the President and First Lady were in attendance made the evening even more special!

Through a stroke of luck we were able to secure tickets at the last minute. Arriving at the barracks at 7:00pm (an easy walk from Eastern Market metro station), we were quickly escorted to our bleacher seats (padded, so relatively comfortable) and settled in for the 2-hour wait. Time went by quickly though, helped by the fact that some of the band members helped keep the guests entertained, and by the spectacle of watching the Secret Service get prepared for the special guests!

The parade is spectacular...amazing musicianship and precision. From military classics to Motown hits, silent rifle drills and canons firing...an impressive experience overall! I have not attended the Iwo Jimo parade, but from reviews it sounds like the performances are identical. I did appreciate being able to sit in elevated bleachers for a better view, which I don't believe is an option at Iwo Jima where you sit on the grass. Also, this location was easy to get to (about 4 blocks from Eastern Market metro station) and we were able to enjoy an early dinner beforehand at one of the many restaurants between the metro and the barracks.

If you're visiting Washington, be sure to plan ahead and get your ticket request in. This parade is an event that you will not want to miss!

10  Thank Moops
in 10 reviews
"nation"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Precision and discipline are on full display at this beautiful presentation. A blanket or chair might be useful. You would want to stand in front of people like the clods I saw filming obnoxiously with their iPads. While the ceremony was nice, I pity those who will have to watch the videos from these boorish folk.

2  Thank Arabiman
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Before seeing this event, I never knew this type of thing even existed. This parade shows the Marine Corp is at it's best. The music was wonderful and the Marines are beyond compare. If anyone is in the DC area on a Tuesday night, this parade held at the Iwo Jima Memorial is a must to see.

1  Thank Janet W
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was an amazing experience and should not be missed on a trip to DC. It was easy to get to, and the marines were very helpful and cordial. We went to the performance at the Iwo Jima Memorial, not the barracks. The Barracks parade is held on Fridays and the Iwo Jima one is held on Tuesdays. While I have not been to the barracks performance, I really cannot believe it would beat the experience at Iwo Jima.

We sat on the grass and looked straight on at one of the most impressive and moving statues. The marines came out and gave an outstanding performance of music, marching and timing. The precision of the silent gun manoeuvers was awe inspiring.

But perhaps the most moving was when a lone marine marched out on the rim of the Iwo Jima Memorial and played Taps. I got goose bumps and tears in my eyes as the reality of the sacrifices our service men and women have made over the years hit home.

Truly, if you do only one thing in DC, this is the one to do.

6  Thank Elle1968