“This place is a dump. Not worth half of what they charge”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #24 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed here on a business trip to Washington, D.C. I have stayed in 4 or 5 other St Regis hotels, and this one is by far the worst of the lot. It's not even close to the brand standards.

The entire staff (at least everyone I encountered) was rude, unfriendly, and unhelpful. For the most part, they didn't even try. Despite having a doorman, I opened the door each time I went through, while he relaxed in his heated booth. The front desk staff was surly and unhelpful. My room was large but old and somewhat tattered. The carpet was frayed and worn, the furniture was old and beat-up, etc.

What this hotel needs is a major renovation and a housecleaning of a different sort (as in the kind where they fire all the staff and bring in people who actually want to be there). This hotel isn't worth half of what they charge. Stay at the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, or the Fairmont, D.C. instead.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank DMR33
Write a ReviewReviews (1,324)

Reviewed 12 September 2011

My mother and I stayed here for one night as we were touring the White House early the next morning and I liked the close proximity in order for us to be able to leave our belongings there during the tour. My daughter lives in Arlington, so ultimately we were staying closer to her.

Upon check in, they offered me a room with a nice view; however, after I mentioned my mother was joining me they gave me a room with two beds but with less of a view. This was not a big deal to me. Although I prefer a more modern style (see my review of the Renaissance Arlington Capitol View), I thought this hotel was lovely. The old world style was beautiful! The chandeliers and seating areas in the lobby were gorgeous. The room, although not overly large, was tastefully decorated with a beautiful light fixture, pretty bedding and window coverings as well as a huge armoire that encased the TV, mini bar, robes, and two areas to hang clothes. The bathroom was small but very upscale in design so we enjoyed the beautifully tiled shower and the TV in the mirror.

In the evening, they offer a champagne sabering event. My daughter and I were the only ones to attend so we were a little set back when they gave each of us about 1/2 a glass of champagne and took off with the rest of the bottle. We thought they could have been a little more generous by at least filling our glasses! LOL

We did not eat in the hotel so I can't comment on that. We did enjoy the complimentary coffee they have in the lobby. The hotel was close to many restaurants and of course the White House, which was our reason for staying there. The walk is a little longer than I anticipated, which was difficult for my mother, so I would perhaps consider the W if the White House tour is a consideration.

I forgot to mention that most of the staff was pleasant, especially the gentlemen in front who opened the doors very quickly each time we came and went. However, a couple of the people at the check in desk were a bit "formal" for my tastes. All in all, we had a nice, albeit short, stay at the St. Regis.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Had a quick stay for a wedding nearby. Great location. Quiet. Room was nice and stately. Points for the TV in mirror. That was unique. Great water pressure in the shower. Nice robes, though no slippers. Can't comment on other aspects of the hotel, since I was in and out rather quickly. But I'm sure I would have enjoyed the hotel had I stayed longer.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here at the weekend. We did not have one single complaint with the hotel and will definitely be booking here again the next time we are lucky enough to spend a few nights in the great city of Washington. The location was perfect. The staff was perfectly friendly and helpful. The room was large, clean and equipped with everything we needed plus more. The bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed we have ever had. Just absolutely LOVED this hotel and can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review. We are delighted that our staff took wonderful care of you and your wife. We look forward to your return visit very soon.

Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed at the St. Regis for one week in July, The location is great for business or pleasure, just a few blocks from the White House. The area is very classy.
When, you enter the hotel, you will be impressed with the decor, style and elegance. The rooms are nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable. The gym was small, but furnished with modern equipment. I could not get a room with a breakfast rate. The restaurant offered haute cuisine and the food was excellent, but pricey.
The staff is very attentative and were professional.
I would recommend the hotel for any one willing not to be concerned about price. It would be an excellent honeymoon or lover's getaway. If you have a family it may not be the place for you. If you are looking for a weekend of elegance and old style this would be the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are delighted that both our hotel and our staff exceeded all of your expectations. Thank you again for posting your feedback we look forward to your return visit very soon.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

I stayed here on 2 separate occasions. The first stay was good enough to make me return a few months later, when I again had to attend a meeting in DC. Mistake! The room I was given the second time was not entirely to my liking, so I requested another. I was given another, but it was gloomy, dark and the view was a close-up of a wall opposite the window. Since I was only staying two nights and would not be in during the day, I decided to just suck it up and stay. However, this is not my main complaint about this hotel. I found the front desk service to be indifferent at best. They were courteous and resepectful, but very impersonal. I had to wait, and wait, and wait for service during the check-in and check-out processes. The staff were not particularly interested in my needs and comments. I was rushed when I checked out, so I only checked my bill when I was at home. There was a charge for over $48 for a breakfast - in addition to the breakfast I really had. My name was incorrectly spelled, even though they had mt credit card imprint. Here is my real complaint: it took 3 lengthy phone calls and 2 emails before the error was corrected. I finally received a response from a "spepcialist, E-communications department" stating that I would be contacted by the hotel within 5 days. That was 6 months ago. I am still waiting for that contact. I can accept that mistakes happen, and in the end this one was rectified. But it was the manner in which I was treated throughout that left such a bad taste that I will certainly not return to this hotel in the future.

Oh - and be prepared to pay dearly for any meal at the restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very disappointed to read that your second stay was not as good as the first. I would like to speak to you at your earliest convenience. I may be reached at 202.638.2626 or by e-mail at ammar.samad@stregis.com. Thank you again for your feedback, it will ultimately allow us to improve our service.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

We stayed at St regis Washington on July 23rd weekend.Service was great,staff was very friendly and specially the dinner that we had at Adour was wonderful.When we arrived we also received a wine and cheese amenity for welcome.
It was one of the unforgettable weekends with my husband.I also would like to mention in regards of a nice touch upon departure when they brought our car to the front they left 2 bottles of water in the car for our trip.Thank you all St Regis DC.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your wonderful review. We are delighted that your weekend retreat was amazing! We look forward to your return visit very soon.