“Great rooms but overpriced”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
NJ
“Great rooms but overpriced”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed at the St. Regis for a few days while spending a long weekend in DC. The hotel has a great location, just two blocks north of the White House, and just a few minutes away from the Mall, the monuments, and museums. There are a lot of great (and expensive) restaurants in the area, but not as much to do at night than if you stayed in an area like Georgetown. There are bars and clubs within walking distance to this hotel, but I've seen more nightlife during my previous visits to DC, when i stayed in the Georgetown area.

I booked a room for $400 a night and was a little disappointed by what I got for my money. The room was well furnished but very small. The room was furnished with a king sized bed in the middle of the room. Along each side of the bed was a night stand. In one corner of the room was a work desk, on the opposite wall was a cabinet containing a large flat screen TV. Along the wall at the foot of the bed were two chairs. With the bed taking up the majority of the room and all the furniture up against the walls there wasn't enough room in some places for two people to squeeze by each other. The room did have a large bathroom, with marble countertops and twin vanities, and a very large mirror. The best part of the mirror was that you could watch TV (using a small part of the mirror not the whole thing) while you got ready in the morning. I found it very useful as I watched the news (traffic, weather forecasts, etc) as I was shaving. There is a large shower that is recessed into a wall, which had a transparent glass door. The glass door does not go all the way to the ceiling so the heat from the shower has plenty of room to escape so it doesn't fog up. One of the most useful items I found in the room was the full length mirror in the walkway, so you can do one last check before you head out the door. I wish more hotels incorporated this into their rooms.

There is a bar and restaurant, called Adour, in the lobby of the hotel. But prices for entrees at the restaurant were over $40, you could get a better deal and better prices at restaurants around the block. I never ate at the restaurant but it appeared that everyone inside was dressed up in at least a suit. In the basement they have a gym, conference rooms, and a ball room.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. One evening they saw me taking pictures of the area and provided recommendations of nearby sites with lighting to assist with my photographs. They always had someone at the door of the lobby to greet you with a smile.

I enjoyed my stay at the St. Regis and would come back again, but overall I don't think I got the value for my money. There are other better hotels that charge the same price, just a block away.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We are delighted that overall you enjoyed your experience and will return. Our rates do vary depending on the length of stay and the day you are arriving. We do offer special packages which you may enjoy. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to your next stay.

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Charleston, SC
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel while in DC on business. It was conveniently located close the the Farragut West metro station and near the White House. The room was very comfortable, clean, and decorated well. I liked the spacious shower and TV in the mirror of the bathroom. However, I was dissapointed at the fitness factility. It did not fit a large size, luxury hotel. Whenever I went to use the treadmills, they were always taken (there were only 2). The room did not include the basic staple of a free weight rack and a bench, which is standard in any hotel facility and does not take up much room. The room did have one of those cable contraptions that allowed for some use if weights. Even though there was not a lot of equipment, it took up the entire room, so there was also no room to stretch. (You can have access to a better facility....for a fee of $15 per day.) The room was very nice and the staff was very professional and helpful, but I will be staying elsewhere on my next trip to DC. This is a great hotel if you aren't interested in working out.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are always exploring opportunities to improve our fitness facilities. In the mean time I would like to speak to you in person and offer you some options which may better support your fitness needs. I may be reached at ammar.samad@stregis.com or at 202.638.2626. I look forward to speaking with you.

Best Regards,
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed here once before a couple of years ago and weren't really impressed considering the expense of staying here, but I must say that the current St. Regis has really changed my mind.

We arrived on a Saturday with the requisite wedding reception in full swing and even with all of the extra people to attend to, the staff was easily on top of everything. The hotel had plenty of extra people on had at the door and in the lobby at all times to assist with arrival/departure luggage, etc.

As is becoming standard in all hotels these days, the room wasn't ready when we arrived. A claimed 15 min wait turned into a couple of hours in the bar waiting for the promised cell phone call to alert us our room was available. We never did get the promised call, as also seems to be common hotel practice these days, however, the bar staff was gracious enough to check on it for us and let us know it was available.

The bar is itself cozy and elegant. A great place to hang out for a quick drink or two. The drinks are top-notch, and well-prepared. I'm always impressed when a bar takes the care to have a decent rye on hand to mix a proper manhattan rather than having to resort to bourbon. A detail perhaps, but again, one that has not been overlooked in the desire to provide exceptional service to its patrons.

Tried the signature Ardour bubbles and pearls as well, but the cointreau pearls don't really add much. Save the extra $4 and just get the prosecco if you're into bubbles. You won't be disappointed.

Our suite was generously sized and elegantly appointed as you would expect form a hotel of this category. The suites came with the St. Regis butler service to help you with everything you need from a quick press to get the wrinkles out of your clothes before dinner to bringing you a much needed coffee service - all included with the cost of the room. While we didn't need a lot of attention since we were only in town for dinner, the butler took care of all of our needs quickly and efficiently. Thanks!

With the exception of the missing call, the rest of the service throughout the entire stay was first rate, and no detail or desire was too small to be attended to. This is the way a 5-star hotel should be run and we look forward to visiting again soon.

Room Tip: Splurge and book one of the suites with the butler service.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank minkmeister
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful feedback. We are delighted that you had a first rate experience. We look forward to your next visit very soon.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I booked 2 nights using Starwood points and as usual the St Regis provided an excellent place to stay for the weekend. The rooms are clean and luxurious. The staff are very accommodating and pleasant. The walls are relatively thick so the room feels more private. We splurged on room service for breakfast this time which was not as pricey as I feared. Will definitely want to do that again next time. Only one complaint --- the cable tv doesn't want to display the local NBC station. A very courteous engineer tried to fix it and said the error would be corrected later in the day "at the provider". I think the same thing happened last time we stayed here and in neither case was it fixed. So don't plan to watch the "Today Show", but otherwise I highly recommend the St Regis.

Room Tip: Starwood rooms seem to be the ones on the courtyard --- no view, but there's also less traffic n...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robin R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are delighted that we have earned your loyalty. We escalated the television issues to our cable provider and the issues are resolved. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. We look forward to your next visit very soon.

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 October 2011

How can I sum it up? It's the St. Regis, so expectations are bound to be high. The value is mostly in the location --> Just a block away from the Whitehouse and the surrounding National Mall area, it ends up being the bulk of what you're paying for (and of course, the St. Regis brand). The common areas are a comfortable blend of elegant and modern. We tried out and enjoyed both the bar and restaurant. The superior King Room is what I considered to be an average good-quality hotel room. Nothing out of the ordinary, but nothing to really complain about either. Loved the electric mirror in the bathroom; Hated having a shower drain right smack in the middle of the shower. Service requests were taken care of promptly and with the expected courtesy, but we were kept waiting 45 minutes past check-in time. Minor flaws aside, it was an experience that met expectations.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We are very fortunate to be located steps away from the White House. We are delighted to know that our hotel met all your expectations. We look forward to your next visit.

Odessa, Ukraine
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,546 helpful votes
Reviewed 26 October 2011

The St. Regis D.C. really is the place to stay if you want it old-school, 5* Luxury.

The location, just 1 1/2 blocks from White House, 5 blocks from Convention Center, with lots of fantastic restaurants around and even one in-house, is superb!

The building what you expect of a St. Regis, the room (upgrade due to SPG Platinum membership) huge, traditional, newly renovated with a fantastic marble bathroom & huge shower...

The service (Concierge, Reception...) is St. Regis at its best. We loved the breakfast which is prepared freshly upon order (no kept warm buffet style breakfast), especially the Oatmeal & the Eggs Florentine on Crab Cake... 5* plus!

We got a good rate at slightly above $ 500 all-in/night including a $ 80 credit for breakfast.

If I would have to name some minors:
1.) the room is a bit on the dark side
2.) no mirror in the shower for shaving
3.) the cosmetic mirror is without light

All-in-all, a 5* plus experience.

1 Thank HONkiev
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are proud to have one of the best Concierge Teams. We are delighted that you enjoyed both our hotel and our signature restaurant Adour. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Doha
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I am a loyal Starwood member and I have experienced already quite a few hotels on my business trips. However the St. Regis D.C. was simply the best. On my arrival the check in process was very smooth and personal. The bell staff was adding up to the already superb service provided by the Front Desk. I was given a room with inner view with a beautiful appointed bathroom. It seemed as the hotel had just renovated since the furniture seemed very new! I had a wonderful stay and will keep staying at the St. Regis with each return to DC!!!
I will definitely recommend the hotel to all of my friends!

Dear Guest,
taking the time your wonderful review. We are very fortunate to have a team that delivers superb personalized services to our guests. Thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to your return.